2 Q's For Bangkok Residents

PattayaBunLover

I am on a little Bangkok sourgorn for a couple days and noted a couple interesting (or weird) things today in Bangkok. When I went out for my morning coffee, I grabed a copy of the Post and was going to have a leisurely read in the verdant and quiet environs of Chewit Park. However, when I get top the gates, I see that it is locked and the park closed. My first thought was that the gardner had just oversleeped or that it was just a one-off closure for some reason or another. But then I noticed a sign stating that the park is only open from 6 am-10 am and 4 pm -8 pm. Funny that...to only open the park during the mornings and evenings. My only thought was that that was wen it was coolists and most comfortable but still kinda funny to go to the bother of closing (and locking it up) during the heat of the day. I mean, if someone wants to roast outside in the afternoon heat..mai pen rai right?

The second thing that happened to me was I had my first opprotunity to try Sunrise Tacos (soi 12 branch). The food was decent but what was funny to me was all the filipino wait and kitchen staff Greg has put in there. I mean, what's the reason for that? I had fun kidding with them in Tagalog and joking that I must have missed my plane-stop and got off in Manila instead of Bangkok. I asked them how they liked Bangkok compared to Manila and the main thing to them was that the cost of living (especially food) was much less in Bangkok and of better quality. The price of a kilo of rice was much cheaper here than there they remarked.

I am on a little Bangkok sourgorn for a couple days and noted a couple interesting (or weird) things today in Bangkok. When I went out for my morning coffee, I grabed a copy of the Post and was going to have a leisurely read in the verdant and quiet environs of Chewit Park. However, when I get top the gates, I see that it is locked and the park closed. My first thought was that the gardner had just oversleeped or that it was just a one-off closure for some reason or another. But then I noticed a sign stating that the park is only open from 6 am-10 am and 4 pm -8 pm. Funny that...to only open the park during the mornings and evenings. My only thought was that that was wen it was coolists and most comfortable but still kinda funny to go to the bother of closing (and locking it up) during the heat of the day. I mean, if someone wants to roast outside in the afternoon heat..mai pen rai right?

The second thing that happened to me was I had my first opprotunity to try Sunrise Tacos (soi 12 branch). The food was decent but what was funny to me was all the filipino wait and kitchen staff Greg has put in there. I mean, what's the reason for that? I had fun kidding with them in Tagalog and joking that I must have missed my plane-stop and got off in Manila instead of Bangkok. I asked them how they liked Bangkok compared to Manila and the main thing to them was that the cost of living (especially food) was much less in Bangkok and of better quality. The price of a kilo of rice was much cheaper here than there they remarked.

For your first question about the park hours, it has something to do with the time that booze is allowed to be sold. Or they don't want kids running after school?

For your second question, I too wonder about that. Is there a special skill they have that the locals don't have when it comes to taking my order? :)

I live in Soi 10 and had been puzzled for a few weeks now over Chuwit Park. There have been times when it appeared to be shut the whole day. I had not noticed the sign posting the new times, so it is obviously a recent move (I have been out of Bangkok for a few weeks). However, it was always popular at lunch time, so closing it seems strange. The next step will be a permanent closure and then before we know it, it will all be bulldozed to make way for a hotel. The only thing that might save it for posterity is that Chuwit has dedicated it to the Glory of God in the marker plaque. I had noticed an increasing number of "ladies" sitting idly on the park seats, so perhaps they got a bit too noticeable at lunch time and they thought it easier to close to break the pattern. Let's hope it is only short term, so to speak.

Re Sunrise Tacos, I don't know how they manage to employ Filipinos as waiting would surely be a Thais only job. I do know that most Thai friends I have gone there with, have considered the Filipino staff rude to them, while being personable to the farang.

I too wonder about that. Is there a special skill they have that the locals don't have when it comes to taking my order? :)

My only explanation is Greg = Sunbelt Asia = lots of contacts/pull @ immigration and WP office. I mean, aren't you supposed to have 4 Thais for every farang WP...it looked like to me just the reverse, 4 Filipinos for every Thai employee :D And that's not even considering the fact that WPs are only supposed to be given out for skills/knowledge that is short supply in the Kingdom and I would thinkg line cooks and wait-staff wouldn't qualify.

Maybe it's a way for Sunbelt to queitly advertise its "skills" in processing visas and WPs.

The only thing that might save it for posterity is that Chuwit has dedicated it to the Glory of God in the marker plaque.

This phrase translated into Thai reads "Glory of Money," so I have no illusions that the soapy king will one day bulldoze his beautiful little pocket-park when the price is right. I am sure he is just biding his time until the next property boom and must have made so much dosh from keeping the men of Bangkok sqeeky clean that he can afford to keep this land bank as a non-income producing park for the duration.

In any event, it is a nice place to relax for a bit and it's a shame it's closed for half the day...I mean, a few descreet words from the grounds staff would get the word out that female bench warmers are not welcome.