Self Defence

mr.buffalo

Does any TV member know of any self defence courses being run in Pattaya? I don't mean the heavy rigours of karate or trying to get a black belt and all that entails but straight forward practical self defence with a decent instructor who is not into showing off but is knowlageble and experienced. I did it in the UK and the young instructor ( he was UK tae kwon do champ twice and Euro champ once ) put together a fitness and self defence program ( includind defence against knife attack ) which was really good so was wondering if there is something similar here.

Hi, I have a style i created for the street, i took components from 3 different systems i trained in and modified into my own system for the street.

Mainly Western Boxing (trained in a pro gym) , Muay Thai and Shukokai. I have some groundfighting experience but its not practical

here in Thailand, you get a Thai on the ground screaming from a submission or a choke your head will soon become a soccer ball

for other Thais - but still good to know.

My strategy is (if needed;last resort) to close the gap quickly and deliver pain and unconciousness via fast/powerful strikes, then get the F out of dodge. Also condition your body to take pain and not let it hinder your delivery. Nothing fancy, no kicks above the waist. I love leg

kicks.

I train everyday at my place in VT1/Jomtien. Anyone else too that wants to come train (for free) send me a PM.

I tried the softer styles Akido/kung <deleted> etc and i think will work on the average somchai but the average somchai will not be what you meet

on the street. Choose your medicine wisely.

regards

SGH

I was a US Marine and have studied several martial arts brieffly, but consider "self defence" classes to be mostly a waste of time. You need to practice the moves over and over again until they become instinct, or they will probably be forgotten in a fight.

If you want self defence that works, take some boxing lessons and study a martial art with full contact sparing until you become quite good.

1rule for street fighting,take the guy down by ANY means,as quick as possible and leave very quickly too.I know some of you will come on here and say only a coward will strike with a bottle but assume the other guy will have something to strike you with, and i plan on keeping my teeth for as long as possible.

There is no easy answer when someone,thai/farang puts you in a corner and you know this is it for a punch up,one has to be focused but determined to be the one standing,no matter what it takes.One poster commented about liking kicks to the legs,now thats a great way to take a man down and get the eff out of there,hurts like hel_l.

1rule for street fighting,take the guy down by ANY means,as quick as possible and leave very quickly too.I know some of you will come on here and say only a coward will strike with a bottle but assume the other guy will have something to strike you with

There are no cowards in street fights. Only winners and losers.

Do whatever it takes to win, even if you have to kill the other guy.

which involves running fast, very fast!

When I was training, I asked the Sifu, why do we run so much?

The answer was

because it is the best form of defence.

A little extreme I might add

Fantastic advice for your average Joe who visits Pattaya for the first time. :)

OP - Suggest follow-up PM to raro or searching this forum as this topic has come up before with plenty of good leads.

Closed.