Adopting A Thai Child

stevehaigh

i'm thinking of adopting my girlfriends kid for reasons way too complicated to explain here.

does anyone know the proceedure for a farang to adopt a thai child and how long it takes? i'm US and UK citizen, i'm not currently married to my GF but can be if it will help the adoption. the daughter is 7.

thx steve

• 3 weeks later...

Where do you live? If it's in Thailand, then a Thai adoption should be possible, but would definitely be a LOT easier if you're married to the mother. (and I think, have been married for at least 6 months).

If you're planning on adopting abroad, then once they're resident in your home country, you should be able to go through a regular adoption there. (inter-country adoption is only usually required when you live in one country, and the child is a resident of another). Again, getting married will make getting the mother and child residence in your home country a lot easier.

Additional information - you'll need a half-decent income, and a home that the adoption authority can come and see you at. (and they can turn up unannounced, so no giving a friend's address because he's got a nicer home...)