Motorcycle Helmet Campaign

Hi Everyone,

We are thinking of running a small campaign on our Internet login page with regards to motorcycle helmet safety.

This is the page that our users see when connecting to our Internet service. 80% of these users are tourists here on holiday, the other local residents.

We're not sure what type of banner advert to use. We were looking at adverts from this page:

http://www.wear-a-helmet.com/

However, we are thinking that they are a bit too graphic for our users to be seeing every time they use the Internet...

Any suggestions are welcome on this matter. This is obviously a subject that effects us all here.

Kind Regards,

Matt.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How about 2 photos with captions.

Photo #1 showing the head shot of a happy, smiling person w/caption "This is your head now"

Photo #2 showing a graphic shot of a head that's been split open by the road w/caption "This is your head after a minor accident when not wearing a helmet!"

Great idea Matt, !

I don't think the header at the top of your website is too graphic... living colour may be better to get the message across... :)

Off course, just about everyone thinks "it will never happen to me" ... I'm sure that those who end up with injuries thought that... just go to one of the local hospitals & see!

I have never understood the reasoning of only the driver has to wear a helmet... either... duh! ..... or why people complain about the Road Checks... the law should be followed, whether you are a "Farang" or Thai... The farangs complain about a 400 baht fine, but the 200 baht they charge the Thai's can be a day's wages... you'd think they would learn! But it does mess up the ladies hair... I have heard that more than once! :D

On my bike, no helmet.. no ride.. I generally carry a spare!

Good luck with the campaign!

Jimmy - that's a great line. "it will never happen to me..."

The thing that pains me the most is seeing very young children on bikes with their parents. None of which wearing helmets. I saw one guy driving his bike with a baby under one arm and the other holding the handlebar. Terrible.

It's bad enough the Thai's do this, but when you see farangs here on holiday doing that... :)

Matt.

How about starting some campains first about avoiding accidents than rather do these funny campaings about the results ?

Learn to drive a motorbike campaign

Learn not to use your mobile phone on a motorbike campaign

Learn the rules of traffic befor riding a motorbike campaign

Learn to be careful on a motorbike campaign

Learn not to drive piss-drunk on a motorbike campaign

Learn to respect others in traffic on a motorbike campaign

No no no ... it's allways the same old story, beter talk about the popular things which are sooooo much easier to tell everybody: "Don't lern how to do it, just wear a helmet and you are fine."

Sorry, but that's pretty naive.

BTW ... I am quite happy to NOT us a hlmet and it's MY decission. And I would prefer if I could keep this choice of NOT wearing a helmet !!! [maybe you should spend a minute or two tofind out WHY eerybody has to wear a helmet in europe ... and NO, the REAL reason is NOT because it' good for you !!! It's because social security systems save huge amounts of money. That's why they took the liberty from you to make a free choice.

And plase, spare me the whole discussion until you can tell me where in Tailand I can buy a real SAFETY helmet .... or do you realy think the 300 THB helmets from tesco will help you anything els than giving you a false impression of being safer ?

Start making a campaign about the real traffic problems plaese before always comming up with the same useless stories. Just becaus the europeans forced this apon every sheep there [for completely diferent reasons than the sheep think btw] doesn't mean it is good.

A helmet is NOT at any kind a solution to the real problem ... and it is NOT good to tell people otherwise.

[maybe you should spend a minute or two tofind out WHY eerybody has to wear a helmet in europe ... and NO, the REAL reason is NOT because it' good for you !!! It's because social security systems save huge amounts of money. That's why they took the liberty from you to make a free choice.

I don't see how this can be true. Surely its cheaper to scrape your brains off the roadside than treat you in hospital.

[maybe you should spend a minute or two tofind out WHY eerybody has to wear a helmet in europe ... and NO, the REAL reason is NOT because it' good for you !!! It's because social security systems save huge amounts of money. That's why they took the liberty from you to make a free choice.

I don't see how this can be true. Surely its cheaper to scrape your brains off the roadside than treat you in hospital.

yep .... i was quite sure a comment like this would com up.

It's always easier to talk BS than spending one minute to think about things.

yep .... i was quite sure a comment like this would com up.

It's always easier to talk BS than spending one minute to think about things.

Hey Brain150,

By the tone of your post it would seem that you have already suffered some significant head trauma, so perhaps a helmet would be of little benefit to you in any event.

I have had two friends suffer head injuries in bike accidents. One died and the other was lucky to survive. Had they been wearing helmets the outcome in both cases might have been improved. Lowered hospital bills for one and it just might have saved my other mate's life.

Some will talk about civil liberties but its a no-brainer for me.

Edited by smokie36

How about starting some campains first about avoiding accidents than rather do these funny campaings about the results ?

No no no ... it's allways the same old story, beter talk about the popular things which are sooooo much easier to tell everybody: "Don't lern how to do it, just wear a helmet and you are fine."

BTW ... I am quite happy to NOT us a hlmet and it's MY decission. And I would prefer if I could keep this choice of NOT wearing a helmet !!! [maybe you should spend a minute or two tofind out WHY eerybody has to wear a helmet in europe ... and NO, the REAL reason is NOT because it' good for you !!! It's because social security systems save huge amounts of money. That's why they took the liberty from you to make a free choice.

And plase, spare me the whole discussion until you can tell me where in Tailand I can buy a real SAFETY helmet .... or do you realy think the 300 THB helmets from tesco will help you anything els than giving you a false impression of being safer ?

Start making a campaign about the real traffic problems plaese before always comming up with the same useless stories. Just becaus the europeans forced this apon every sheep there [for completely diferent reasons than the sheep think btw] doesn't mean it is good.

A helmet is NOT at any kind a solution to the real problem ... and it is NOT good to tell people otherwise.

Brain150,

I never used to wear a helmet on my motorbike. When you see one of your friends in the Intensive Care Unit at Bangkok Hospital in a coma due to a head injury you soon change your mind.

Good luck with not wearing a helmet.

Matt.

Brain150,

Classic tell tale signs of massive brain trauma. I wish you all the best. I bet you wished you had worn a helmet.

Hi Everyone,

We are thinking of running a small campaign on our Internet login page with regards to motorcycle helmet safety.

This is the page that our users see when connecting to our Internet service. 80% of these users are tourists here on holiday, the other local residents.

We're not sure what type of banner advert to use. We were looking at adverts from this page:

However, we are thinking that they are a bit too graphic for our users to be seeing every time they use the Internet...

Any suggestions are welcome on this matter. This is obviously a subject that effects us all here.

Kind Regards,

Matt.

1) it is the law...if the police did their job on that here like most places in Thailand now this would not be such an issue, if at all;

2) helmets don't grow on trees...if you maybe combined the campaign with a helmet give away day to locals...that would definitely IMO help...but then, money must back mouth.

Hi Everyone,

Kind Regards,

Matt.

1) it is the law...if the police did their job on that here like most places in Thailand now this would not be such an issue, if at all;

2) helmets don't grow on trees...if you maybe combined the campaign with a helmet give away day to locals...that would definitely IMO help...but then, money must back mouth.

1/ Don't need police to get you to use your brain.

2/If you read the OP'S statement, you will not have used this reply.

1.) This is Samui. The law doesn't really count here unfortunately.

2.) The amount of idiots I see riding their bike with their helmet in the front basket/hanging from the handlebars is ridiculous. Even if this campaign gets a few of them to put it on, it will help.

Matt.

Great idea Matt, respect for doing such.

But.. I am a hypocrit as most times I dont bother atm.. I got a free off the shelf helmet with my honda click motorbike (from bophut Honda shop) and previously I did purchased one from tesco for a few hundred baht. But people have since told me they are worthless and better not bothering, and proper helmet has to be fitted to exact head dimensions and definitely will cost a few thousand baht (definitely out of reach of most thais). Can someone clarify? And if I did want some protection on Samui where best to go and what to expect? Presumably for a little honda click it would be wrong to get a UK style helmet as there are portability issue and risk of theft when leaving helmet on motorbike, no one bothers to steal the cheapo ones right.

Edit: its scared me enough, im wearing my cheapo helmet to up the road, i hope makes some difference in event of accident...

Edited by mattcodes

But.. I am a hypocrit as most times I dont bother atm.. I got a free off the shelf helmet with my honda click motorbike (from bophut Honda shop) and previously I did purchased one from tesco for a few hundred baht. But people have since told me they are worthless and better not bothering, and proper helmet has to be fitted to exact head dimensions and definitely will cost a few thousand baht (definitely out of reach of most thais). Can someone clarify? And if I did want some protection on Samui where best to go and what to expect? Presumably for a little honda click it would be wrong to get a UK style helmet as there are portability issue and risk of theft when leaving helmet on motorbike, no one bothers to steal the cheapo ones right.

Edit: its scared me enough, im wearing my cheapo helmet to up the road, i hope makes some difference in event of accident...

matt,

Any protection is better then none at all.Now don't get me wrong here, but are work place helmets useless?Now we are not racing a bike at 100 k's + well most people aren't anyway, they are not designed for racing but at least they are something for normal riding on Samui, I'd much prefer having something on my head then nothing.

PS the previous post was not aimed at you, we both posted the same time.

matt,

Any protection is better then none at all.Now don't get me wrong here, but are work place helmets useless?Now we are not racing a bike at 100 k's + well most people aren't anyway, they are not designed for racing but at least they are something for normal riding on Samui, I'd much prefer having something on my head then nothing.

PS the previous post was not aimed at you, we both posted the same time.

Well put Rooo. Spot on in fact ... I don't think anyone can argue with those two point.

Anything that can at the very least cushion the impact of human tissue on bitumen has to be better than nothing at all doesn't it?

"It's not just a good idea, it's the LAW!"

Should make a slight impression on tourists (stolen slogan from old seatbelt ad in the US).

That is a great slogan.Problem is, how many tourists leave their brain at the airport? How many expat locals are invincible?

Nothing can make a person wear a helmet unless the law is strictly enforced.

Taiwan passed a mandatory helmet law in 1997. I had been living there for 12 years, helmet-free. After the law was passed, people started wearing them and police started issuing citations. Very quickly, if you were driving without a helmet, you stuck out like a sore thumb. People will wear helmets if they KNOW for sure that they will likely get fined for not wearing one. That's why I included the, "It's the law" part. I would guess that many people coming here don't realize that the helmet law isn't enforced on Samui, to speak of, so they might think that if they don't wear one, they will have to pay a fine -- something no one wants to do.

As for the optional wear or not concept, I can see this, but also can see the downside in the human cost. If you get hurt seriously or die from an accident that could have been prevented or lessened by wearing a helmet, you impact friends and relatives as well as yourself. If you have no friends, no family and your relatives are all dead or have written you off, maybe the risk of bashing your head in is acceptable.

Nothing can make a person wear a helmet unless the law is strictly enforced.

Taiwan passed a mandatory helmet law in 1997. I had been living there for 12 years, helmet-free. After the law was passed, people started wearing them and police started issuing citations. Very quickly, if you were driving without a helmet, you stuck out like a sore thumb. People will wear helmets if they KNOW for sure that they will likely get fined for not wearing one. That's why I included the, "It's the law" part. I would guess that many people coming here don't realize that the helmet law isn't enforced on Samui, to speak of, so they might think that if they don't wear one, they will have to pay a fine -- something no one wants to do.

As for the optional wear or not concept, I can see this, but also can see the downside in the human cost. If you get hurt seriously or die from an accident that could have been prevented or lessened by wearing a helmet, you impact friends and relatives as well as yourself. If you have no friends, no family and your relatives are all dead or have written you off, maybe the risk of bashing your head in is acceptable.

'Nothing can make a person wear a helmet unless the law is strictly enforced''

I couldnt agree more. I also agree that people shouldnt need the police to engage their brains and everybody must carry the responsibility for their own safety. However, the evidence seems to suggest that sometimes people do need the police to remind them to use their brains. I am not blaming the police here but it is their duty to enforce the law and protect people not only from others but from themselves.

I posted, on a different thread, about a visit to Patong to see a couple of friends over on holiday. They never wear helmets and I was suprised when I met them to see them arriving on bikes wearing helmets. They explained, frustrated, that on in the first two days of their holiday they had been stopped and fined twice for not wearing a helmet. As a result they wouldnt get on their bikes at all without a helmet. They are usually intelligent people but as Roo pointed out they seemed to leave their brains at the airport and choose to risk their lives unecesarily but effective policing ensured they obeyed the law and protected themselves. Whilst in Patong I was struck by the amount of people wearing helmets. Everybody said the same thing in that its just not worth not wearing one. The consistancy of police fines seemed to act as more of a deterant than the obvious risk of losing their life.

Hats off the Bluechipit for making an effort to tackle this issue. So many locals, expats, visitors etc are hurt or die unecessarily on our roads and any attempt at making a difference and rasing awareness should be fully encouraged and supported.

Good work. I salute you for your efforts.

Hi Everyone,

http://www.wear-a-helmet.com/

Kind Regards,

Matt.

While the images are pretty graphic I feel such images are quite striking and effective as a result. Is your campaign only internet based or could it be worth while to try and produce a panphlet containing information about road safety that could be handed out (maybe at the airport, ferry points etc? maybe Samui rescue might be interested in working together with you on this?). Nobody enjoys looking at images of people losing limbs or with their heads smashed open on the road but I think if it acts as an effective deterant and goes some way to saving only one life it might be worth while.

I know its not really what people want to see as they arrive on Samui, the airport may not permit it and most peolpe might just throw any such brochure in the bin, but it might just make some people think for a moment before they rent and drive without a helmet.

Just a suggestion?