Shooting With No Flash

Pooklook

Cityofangels282.jpg

When flash is not possible you can play with the ISO and get shots

in low light. I selected 1000 ISO. The higher the ISO the more noise

in the photo so go up just enough to get a clean shot.

Okay, you've inspired me. I've never been very tempted to play with ISO values...I always preferred to let the camera take care of it automatically. This is such a nice shot that perhaps I'll play with it a bit.

Have you ever played with raising the ISO in a setting like the interior of a wat or ubosot that has subdued lighting (where you're not focused on something so close as in this photo)?

How far you can go on the ISO levels depends on the camera and the size of the sensor.

Small sensors, in point and shoot cameras, are more susceptible to noise at higher ISO levels.

This reminds me of the old days, using ISO400 film and pushing the developing to 800 :D

So much easier now, as you do not have to use a whole film,

you can make the adjustment for just one shot.

Remember to think about colour balance as well, if the main lighting is artificial.

Give it a try, you will be surprised at what you can do without the flash gun. :)

Canon 10D 1/20th F3.5 ISO 1600

post-7384-1254035300_thumb.jpg

IMG_8323c.jpg

I probably should have called this thread shooting with only the

camera. Higher ISO lets you get away without using a flash or

tripod. Many of the Wats don’t want flash and I don’t feel comfortable

using it inside a Wat anyway. With higher ISO you’ll get shots you

always used to miss!!! I agree Astral, the ambient light can be a factor

and that will make you want to start playing with the white balance

to obtain the most realistic color. Many things can be adjusted with

software but there is no substitute for bringing home the best possible

photo to work with.

What I forgot to say, nice work without the use of a flash. However, the other nice thing about shooting at a higher ISO is that you can power down your flash, set it to around minus 2 stops or so, the thing is to pop in just enough light add a little to shadows or to put a little light in the eyes. And while you're at it bounce it off the side wall or anything that would make it appear more natural.

siam68.jpg

Vulcan my intent on this thread was just to get people who have never

played with the ISO to give it a try so I have purposely stayed away

from being technical about the subject or my camera. Aeon I did go outside

for a bit and now another ISO tip dont forget to lower the ISO when

you go outside. I used 100 ISO for this shot.

siam68.jpg

Vulcan my intent on this thread was just to get people who have never

played with the ISO to give it a try so I have purposely stayed away

from being technical about the subject or my camera. Aeon I did go outside

for a bit and now another ISO tip dont forget to lower the ISO when

you go outside. I used 100 ISO for this shot.

Yes I know I was joking.

I understand the reason of your topic, and I agree with what you say, I always use my camera in manual mode.

by the way I was at that cosplay event too http://www.flickr.com/photos/salvus/sets/72157621994057213/

Yes I know I was joking.

I understand the reason of your topic, and I agree with what you say, I always use my camera in manual mode.

by the way I was at that cosplay event too http://www.flickr.com/photos/salvus/sets/72157621994057213/

Aeon I checked out your pics and cosplay #25 was my favorite.

Its fun to do the Bangkok circuit......I got a couple hundred

photos from this event...doing a thread every now and then

is good for me. I stop working on the house and sit down

and play with the photos a bit.....a nice escape......

Yes I know I was joking.

Aeon I checked out your pics and cosplay #25 was my favorite.

Its fun to do the Bangkok circuit......I got a couple hundred

photos from this event...doing a thread every now and then

is good for me. I stop working on the house and sit down

and play with the photos a bit.....a nice escape......

yes I took many hundreds of photos too, they had really nice costumes and make-ups (check cosplay#5).

The ISO thread is very interesting, and is something that not everyone play with, normally auto is the easy way to go, but personally I like to control manually for both technical and creative control.

Siam78.jpg

Aeon, I shot for years and never really tapped into the potential of what the camera could do.

Now I get natural light shots I always used to miss. Instead talking about the ones that

got away I come home with some clean shots in low light and now with many of the

cameras having ajustable ISO nobody should wait. Its nice when you dont use the flash.

You can just blend into the environment and get some good candid shots. I think my next

thread will be Thai Candid......

Siam78.jpg

Aeon, I shot for years and never really tapped into the potential of what the camera could do.

Now I get natural light shots I always used to miss. Instead talking about the ones that

got away I come home with some clean shots in low light and now with many of the

cameras having ajustable ISO nobody should wait. Its nice when you dont use the flash.

You can just blend into the environment and get some good candid shots. I think my next

thread will be Thai Candid......

Newer camera also allow you to use quite high ISO speed without too much noise, if you keep under 1000 should be a good quality photo, where the noise is acceptable.

I am quite happy with results up to 640 ISO on a Canon 40d, over that can be risky with vibrant colors, but if not processed the quality is still good even with higher vaules.