Us Visit Will Boost Thailand's Image: Pm

webfact

Glad to see Abhisit flashing his smile and demonstrating his brains abroad, especially in the US and around the G-20 leaders presently meeting in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.

PM Abhisit can only give a good and positive impression and image of Thailand and of Thai government and politics. The fact there wasn't any attempted coup while he was abroad from Thailand also has no doubt impressed leaders of governments and investors.

The guy has a lot of work to do in Thailand but it's good to see him abroad impressing leaders and investors in the most important nations and economies of the world.

It's also fact that Thaksin couldn't get a visa to enter the United States even if he promised to bring Usama bin Laden with him.

The US will work with whatever Thai government that there is, even if it is a coup government as the US has still large strategic and economic interests in Thailand. It is wishful thinking though that the US is overly impressed with Abhisit just because he held a few PR speeches. In reality the US is more than aware of the true power distribution in Thailand, the present conflicts, and how little Abhisit actually has to say.

Note also - US representatives are in regular contact with the opposition parties, and have close contacts with all sides here.

No one said otherwise as the Kingdom and the US have been close allies for several score years. US negotiators assisted Thailand during the 1919 Treaty of Versailles and in trekking around the world during several years afterward in the pursuit of certain outstanding common goals. The US always keeps all options open in respect to Thailand.

The point is I'd put cash on the barrell head that Pres Obama prefers to deal with Abhisit as PM than with any other Thai leader of the immediate past or of any present political party.

Because Thailand has military conscription, the LOS (last time I looked) has the 13th largest armed forces of the world; other forumists have pointed out additional stragegic considerations such as food, fresh water and the like.

The US Government will work with whomever from Thailand shows up at the White House gate, but I'd bet the farm O prefers Abhisit to any other of the bunch of present possibles (or Samak or Somchai or a politically exhumed Thaksin). I've mentioned as well the G-7 and the G-20 in this respect.

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, the US will work will work with most anyone. They were also against the coup when it happened. However, as things stand NOW (emphasis NOW) Abhisit looks much better than the fugitive. This is realpolitik, deal with it.

Abhisit may look better. But looks will not deceive. Thailand spirals into a massive crisis - and this fact does not escape the US decision makers.

The sky is falling! The sky is falling! Look up at the sky, what is it that we see, that is falling? It has a square head.

Wishful thinking.

The sky, by the way, has fallen - last year... :)

You must mean this year when the sky turned Black, at Songkran.

The US Government will work with whomever from Thailand shows up at the White House gate, but I'd bet the farm O prefers Abhisit to any other of the bunch of present possibles (or Samak or Somchai or a politically exhumed Thaksin). I've mentioned as well the G-7 and the G-20 in this respect.

Personal preference hardly matters.

Any US president will prefer to work with a Thai PM that leads a stable nation. Abhisit neither leads Thailand other than in name and appearance, nor is Thailand anything close to stable. This has been noted by the relevant US authorities. Different than most of the posters here on this forum - decision makers in the US do not rely on notoriously bad local medias, but have their own sources in addition to reading the important academic studies on the issues.

And these do give a very different picture on Thailand than you and others propagate here on this forum, much to the concern of the US, and many other countries.

Globally Abhisit is a breath of fresh air who gives both governments and investors cause to think of the future Thailand rather than the Thailand of the miserable past, whether recent or immediate. When leaders of foreign governments see Abhisit they can think of a viable parliamentary democracy.

:):D:D:D:D

Let's be honest about it, Thailand will always be looked as a joke until the elite are marginalized. They are pulling the strings with Abhisit and I'm afraid until this is changed the perception for thailand will remain the same.

Obama is no fool and has been presumably well briefed - as have other westerrn countries no doubt - about the political stability of Thailand and its levels of corruption and scams. But the west keeps its own counsel. It will deal with any Thai government for strategic reasons - although I believe they are largely historic and overplayed.

Of course he shakes hands with Abhisit but what does that tell you.

Returning to stability was Abhisit's main message, and it certainly looks like Thaksin is a done business and won't be able to destabilize the country anymore.

And reds on their own are light years away from becoming a political force anyone would listen to.

The prospect of PTP forming the next government is not as frightening as it was after 2007 elections, so who cares? Another incompetent government, that's all.

Globally Abhisit is a breath of fresh air who gives both governments and investors cause to think of the future Thailand rather than the Thailand of the miserable past, whether recent or immediate. When leaders of foreign governments see Abhisit they can think of a viable parliamentary democracy.

:):D:D:D:D

Let's be honest about it, Thailand will always be looked as a joke until the elite are marginalized. They are pulling the strings with Abhisit and I'm afraid until this is changed the perception for thailand will remain the same.

You'd prefer as a new PM some Thai Plato from PAD or a cave man red shird with a club?

Abhisit is neither.

Get real: Elites always rule or govern. That's why Joe the Plumber couldn't cut it as John McCain's chief economic advisor during last year's campaign.

:D

Sorry, Britkit,

but even in the most communist proletarian ruling groups there always was soon rising

elites that took control. No one cares outside of Thailand and a few farangs with anti monarchist

or anti rich or anti elite agendas if Abhisit was the favored pick of the moneyed classes or not.

Thaksin was himself for awhile, but he got greedy beyond all expectations.

There will be no successful revolution by the people that will magically give you a perfect Utopian world.

There may be a very messy social upheaval that dislocates the lives of millions, and cause the deaths

of hundreds or thousands, but that sets the clock back MUCH farther than continuing forward from here.

Governments run on a basis philosophy and practical solutions,

if the practical is missing the philosophy is as useless as fish wrap.

Abhisit has shown definite international skills and it is not just a

Foreign Minister that does the heavy lifting nation to nation.

We have been most fortunate to see Abhisit quickly growing into his role.

Without the obvious stature he is being treated as possessing,

Thailand would be just wallowing at the edge of 3rd world chaos.

Much as his biased detractors want him to fail, he isn't, where it counts.

In representing Thailand as a stable and functioning State.

Thailand's home front is always a messy business, but international image

making / damage control, is what is needed to impliment a real recovery from the

externally imposed doldrums, and internally imposed lack of properly focused expediency.

The outside world cares little if the elite like Abhisit, they care if he is running a proper nation state,

and not just a state of denial. And not just a celptocracy run but a Cleptocrat In Chief.

I think that Abhisit is a personable, intelligent and able politician, and as such would carry a good deal of weight on the world stage but for the fact that he is only in the position of PM as a result of highly questionable actions by PAD, the very obviously biased judiciary and lots of wheeling and dealing behind closed doors by the unelected elite. He has no democratic mandate, and the world knows it. His international stature is therefore diminished considerably. If he were to go to the people and win an election, he would be taken seriously, but as things stand, he is probably seen as a stop-gap figure, and thus not representative of the future direction of Thailand.

False Popularity I might add.... :)

Dare say the fake PM Abhisit will be gone sooner rather than later.

How can popularity be false?  Either someone is popular or he/she isn't popular.  

Whether there is a good or logical reason or not for that popularity/lack of popularity, that can be argued.  But "false" popularity?

There must be no further silliness like the airport takeover or the Pattaya Asean conference fiasco. Until Thailand can demonstrate it has a government which can (for the most part) uphold the rule of law and assure order, no amount of hand shaking by charismatic leaders will make any difference. That said however, I believe Abhisit is very much an asset to Thailand in improving the country's image. Far better than any alternative.

Edited by Lopburi99

Publicus: You said: It's also fact that Thaksin couldn't get a visa to enter the United States even if he promised to bring Usama bin Laden with him.

On what basis do you say he couldn't get a visa. I don't know that that is true. I don't think it would be very wise to to go there, however.

Compare and contrast:

Thaksin: doing "call ins" from a "nearby" country, agitating revolutionaries, running from justice, scrambling for passports

Abhisit: Standing man to man with Barack Obama, the most popular world leader in decades

Yes, I would say Abhisit has helped his cause. Very much.

Obama the most popular world leader - :)

Thailand has fallen way behind the likes of SG & MY - a 10 year visa would do wonders in TL

I easily live in Penang, visit Phuket, then return for R&R where my assets are secure

It would encourage FDI which it sadly lacking - it appears to be totally on the wrong track to building a more prosperous

Land of Smiles - at least Thaksin was a businessman - I guess a coupless UN visit is an improvement on 2006.

World Forum!! Didnt know he posted here!!

Compare and contrast:

Thaksin: doing "call ins" from a "nearby" country, agitating revolutionaries, running from justice, scrambling for passports

Abhisit: Standing man to man with Barack Obama, the most popular world leader in decades

Yes, I would say Abhisit has helped his cause. Very much.

Obama the most popular world leader - :)

That is correct. Obviously.

Anyway, the USA is not on record as saying they would deny Thaksin a visa. However, Nicaraguans in general have a hard time getting USA visas, isn't he Nicaraguan these days? The reality is I think it is clear the USA doesn't want to touch him on their soil, and he knows that. I also agree if he comes to the US there is a good chance Thailand could have him arrested, especially now that Barack and Abhisit have a relationship. He won't be coming. Don't forget he is a runaway fugitive. He can come clean and face the justice system in his country, but he won't do that, there are consequences for his actions.

Edited by Jingthing

Personal preference hardly matters.

Any US president will prefer to work with a Thai PM that leads a stable nation. Abhisit neither leads Thailand other than in name and appearance, nor is Thailand anything close to stable. This has been noted by the relevant US authorities. Different than most of the posters here on this forum - decision makers in the US do not rely on notoriously bad local medias, but have their own sources in addition to reading the important academic studies on the issues.

And these do give a very different picture on Thailand than you and others propagate here on this forum, much to the concern of the US, and many other countries.

There seems to be a compulsion to state the obvious so let's go with it some more.

The US Government, Wall Street, the US Fortune 500, investment houses/banks know Thailand the same as each of us knows the back of our hand.

Besides the national security council, the US Government includes the Pengaton, Dept of State, CIA and the like. Yes, yes yes the US public and private sectors know Thailand better than anyone who follows the Thai media whether in English or in Thai, and knows the players and the reality on the ground in Thailand better than any farang married to a Thai gal (which gives local insight but not a strategic advantage).

Yes, yes yes Obama is fully briefed about Abhisit, present politics and business in Thailand. The involved people in the US in and out of government know developments in Thailand from all angles and aspects. So what else shall we state that is obvious?

Let's go further to state that Abhisit is on shaky ground in Thailand but that he is the leader of a government chosen by an elected parliament and that Abhisit is in fact the best face or mind Thailand could put forward to the world given Thailand's tenuous at best present and its grave future.

While we're at it, Thaksin in the US trying to overthrow the government of the Kingdom of Thailand is an impossibility, nor would Thaksin accept being in the US if he were restricted from doing so to include addressing red shirt rallies and riots which scramble and scatter foreign heads of government from their rooftop venue using helicopters.

We're agreed on these points, to include that the US Government deals with whomever from Thailand shows up at the White House gate with the proper documents in hand. I reiterate that presently it's good for Thailand that the guy with the documents in hand is PM Abhisit.

Edited by Publicus

Thaksin is not wanted in the US, neither has Obama fostered any relationship with Abhisit. They are both freshmen.

LOS & USA go back a long, long way. I can just see the headlines "Toxic buys Gitmo from Yomama"

I am sorry I didn't make this clear enough. Thailand and the USA are good friends and I am sure they have exchanged prisoners before. I am not sure of the mechanics of how he might be arrested. I doubt the US would want to arrest him but perhaps there are other ways to arrest him while abroad.

Thaksin is not wanted in the US, neither has Obama fostered any relationship with Abhisit. They are both freshmen.

LOS & USA go back a long, long way. I can just see the headlines "Toxic buys Gitmo from Yomama"

A very long way indeed.

A rich 'prospective' headline it is too :) .

Let's go further to state that Abhisit is on shaky ground in Thailand but that he is the leader of a government chosen by an elected parliament and that Abhisit is in fact the best face or mind Thailand could put forward to the world given Thailand's tenuous at best present and its grave future.

I do disagree there - Abhisit is a face chosen to pose as Prime Minister by consensus of certain military factions and privy councilors who have behind the scene orchestrated the parliamentary majority that has "elected" Abhisit.

The US is more than aware of that fact, and so are most other western countries. They do know that Abhisit is nothing more than a face to a very disturbing reality.

Abhisit is walking a tightrope. Like most politicians, he really isn't his own man. He was brave (literally in every sense of that word) to try to govern the current mess, and so far it has been shown he walks a very good tightrope. I won't forget the skeptics who said he wouldn't last a month, he has already well beat the odds.

Edited by Jingthing

I do disagree there - Abhisit is a face chosen to pose as Prime Minister by consensus of certain military factions and privy councilors who have behind the scene orchestrated the parliamentary majority that has "elected" Abhisit.

The US is more than aware of that fact, and so are most other western countries. They do know that Abhisit is nothing more than a face to a very disturbing reality.

Do "certain" privy councillors control Abhisit or vice versa? I'm not sure I understand your point. Or are "certain" privy councillors rogue elephants? If so, who should whip those guys back into line? Or dump them?