English Language Publications In Chiang Mai

WaiWai

I posted the following in a now closed thread:

I always wonder why Chiang Mai Citylife monthly (free but with more advertisements) can offer good quality, engaging articles, editorials and more while Chiang Mai Mai -- oops, Chiang Mai Mail -- weekly (with fewer ads but for a price) cannot. I will flip through CMM if I happen upon a copy but there's rarely anything I want to wade -- aargh -- read through. The classified ads can be useful, particularly to newcomers, sometimes I'll skim through the doctor's column or the restaurant review but ... as others have noted, the "news" is mostly mouldy old dough, poorly (ghost?) written and/or promotional and ... well, simply numbingly dull and null and devoid of substance and direction ... not to mention dash and style, which Citylife has aplenty.

Pim of Citylife engages quite actively with her foreign readership through various means. Some of you will recall that she asked for suggestions on this forum before interviewing the former mayor. Pim declared her "bias". More recently, she has done the same with another local social/political issue. Pim's intelligence and engagement don't need to be underlined. I always read her editorials and articles. Pim is a also a highly talented writer. I may not always agree with her, but she always has my respect.

CMM clearly supported the former mayor and certain foreign groups associated with her. (Has that ceased?). However, their leaders appear to lack Pim's understanding of the "farang" appreciation of "transparency".

I don't know the intention of the CMM (perhaps to help us ingrates integrate better?).

Who knows?

I believe we can continue to discuss the topic so long as ... well, I am not entirely clear ... but don't imply "business interests" and stay with plain critque (I think ... :) ).

Edited by WaiWai

Citylife and Chiang Mai Mail are the two hard copy publications that I find useful. Each is unique and useful in its own ways.

I also think that it's also important to include the Chiang Mai Community Classifieds Email that is sent out on a weekly basis (with a readership of 1950 locals on the email list). It also provides a lot of good information.

Citylife and Chiang Mai Mail are the two hard copy publications that I find useful. Each is unique and useful in its own ways.

I also think that it's also important to include the Chiang Mai Community Classifieds Email that is sent out on a weekly basis (with a readership of 1950 locals on the email list). It also provides a lot of good information.

I found it quite curious that after a number of negative posts about the Chiang Mai Mail were posted that the thread was quickly shut down. No chance for those that find this news vehicle worthy of a retort. I checked the last 6 issues and scanned them for a change of focus and saw no change. The OP of that thread has an agenda to discredit the CMM, is my read. IMHO.

found it quite curious that after a number of negative posts about the Chiang Mai Mail were posted that the thread was quickly shut down. No chance for those that find this news vehicle worthy of a retort. I checked the last 6 issues and scanned them for a change of focus and saw no change. The OP of that thread has an agenda to discredit the CMM, is my read. IMHO.

Agendas/Discussion of (possible) agendas will lead moderators to intemperate waters?

I found it quite curious that after a number of negative posts about the Chiang Mai Mail were posted that the thread was quickly shut down. No chance for those that find this news vehicle worthy of a retort. I checked the last 6 issues and scanned them for a change of focus and saw no change. The OP of that thread has an agenda to discredit the CMM, is my read. IMHO.

I agree---there are a lot of positive things to say about the CM Mail. Some of the criticism is very ill-informed and apparently comes from people who have not read the paper in years.

Agendas/Discussion of (possible) agendas will lead moderators to intemperate waters?

Sawasdee Khrup, Khun WaiWai,

I really like the question you pose, there ! I think agendas might, equally, lead the temperate into immoderate waters, but that's just a guess.

It can be difficult to remain afloat in water of no temperature, but what is the alternative ?

Let us remain buoyant.

best, ~o:37;

Edited by orang37

I agree---there are a lot of positive things to say about the CM Mail. Some of the criticism is very ill-informed and apparently comes from people who have not read the paper in years.

From the posts I can't see how you determine that criticism is coming from those who have not read the paper for years. There are posts that have given resaons. Although obviously if someone does not like the paper they wont continue reading it. So by definition some fall into your "not read the paper in years " category.

People have mentioned the perceived negatives. You mentioned there are positives but don't list them

There is a very small piece on bridge, which for some reason you forgot to mention. :)

It can be difficult to remain afloat in water of no temperature, but what is the alternative ?

Let us remain buoyant.

best, ~o:37;

As water with no temperature is at absolute zero it would be more difficult to sink.

Personally I always find a use for newsprint of low quality. Although in thailand that use is rather negated with the water jet.

One problem with the Chiang Mai Mail, as I understand it is that they have gradually phased out all the farang staff. Given that it's a paper that used to be directed at the expat community, this would seem to be a misguided maneuver. Of course, I'm not sure if it's part of a new business plan or just a coincidence and that they plan to get more expat writers in again.

Citylife on the other hand, seems to be getting better and better. If they added a news reporting section similar to Chiang Mai Mail's then there would be absolutely no reason to purchase the Mail.

While there may be folks who may have some personal grievance against Chiang Mai Mail, everyone I know seems to think it's gone rapidly downhill. I'm of the same opinion and I gather (though, via hearsay) that it's due to an autocratic management style out of touch with the interests and needs of the local expat community. It would be just okay if it was free. But not worth spending money on.

Interesting observation Ollylama but I think that you are wrong. From what I know, the CMM is affiliated with a newspaper in Pattaya. Both places have foreigners working for them. Prince was/is the editor of the local branch. I was told that he is an Indian. I also heard yesterday that there is a new manager for the CMM office. His name is Michael/Marc or something like that.

Looking through the articles, a lot of the regular columns are written by local expats. I have to agree with cmdream and NeilRob. It seems that people who criticize the paper are either those who have not read it in a while or have an agenda to discredit.

I do agree with Ollylama's point that Citylife is getting better and better. Their articles are more indepth articles and are quite excellent. However; since people complain that the CMM's news is usually from two weeks ago, I don't think that a monthly edition would work any better in covering local news.

Interesting observation Ollylama but I think that you are wrong. From what I know, the CMM is affiliated with a newspaper in Pattaya. Both places have foreigners working for them. Prince was/is the editor of the local branch. I was told that he is an Indian. I also heard yesterday that there is a new manager for the CMM office. His name is Michael/Marc or something like that.

Looking through the articles, a lot of the regular columns are written by local expats. I have to agree with cmdream and NeilRob. It seems that people who criticize the paper are either those who have not read it in a while or have an agenda to discredit.

I do agree with Ollylama's point that Citylife is getting better and better. Their articles are more indepth articles and are quite excellent. However; since people complain that the CMM's news is usually from two weeks ago, I don't think that a monthly edition would work any better in covering local news.

Out of 14 posts in this thread only one poster says he does not read it but prefers city life. One poster is a contributor so is more than a little biased.

Out of 14 posts in this thread only one poster says he does not read it but prefers city life. One poster is a contributor so is more than a little biased.

In answer to the OPs question, there are a number of mags and 1 English Chiang Mai weekly newspaper available to you. Check them out, chok dee.

I won't waste my time On the CM Mail and yes I have read it in the last year and no it hasn't improved.

Head and Shoulders above the Mail is City Life, I have nothing to add but agree with the praise rightly given it by the other posters.

I would like to mention the free tourist magazine 'Guidelines' which often has informative articles on CM history and culture.

Anonymouse, it's true that one can chance upon various lesser known but substantial and interesting publications around CM -- some English language and some bilingual.

I don't find any with enough regularity to remember their names or where I found them, though. Where do you locate "Guidelines"?

Guidelines is easy to find in hotels and touristy places. It is a free monthly magazine and, like Citylife, a great place to advertise.

If we ignore the content for now, the Chiang Mai Mail is expensive for advertising because it is published four times as often as most publications (weekly).

On top of that, so few people are willing to actually pay cash for it, that almost no one reads it and advertisers don't want to pay a lot of money to reach a tiny number of possible customers.

It is difficult to keep a publication going with few paying customers or advertisers and The CM Mail already closed down once before. Lets hope the new manager can find a way to get out of this jam.

The Pattaya Mail has lasted for many years and has lots of fans. It seems like they could give them some help.

Edited by Ulysses G.

I have to agree with Ulysse G. I have been reading CMM for 6 Years and I stopped buying it 3 years ago. Why not buy? Its free on the net, quality of articles decreased and bad information. Pattaya Mail and CMM are connected so why is CMM in trouble? I do now that what works in Pattaya may not work in Chiang Mai. As for the obvious if you have an English news paper you need articles and photos of ex-pats or you will crash. This weeks addition 27 articles all about Thai activities well done and interesting. Photos 24 all Thais, 2 ex-pats. I keep looking at CMM hopping that a serious change well happen. I wish them the best but I fell its only time that they go defunct as so many business in Chiang Mai due.

Guidelines is easy to find in hotels and touristy places. It is a free monthly magazine and, like Citylife, a great place to advertise.

If we ignore the content for now, the Chiang Mai Mail is expensive for advertising because it is published four times as often as most publications (weekly).

On top of that, so few people are willing to actually pay cash for it, that almost no one reads it and advertisers don't want to pay a lot of money to reach a tiny number of possible customers.

It is difficult to keep a publication going with few paying customers or advertisers and The CM Mail already closed down once before. Lets hope the new manager can find a way to get out of this jam.

The Pattaya Mail has lasted for many years and has lots of fans. It seems like they could give them some help.

As UG mentions Guidelines can be found in hotels and some tourist outlets it's a cut above the other free tourist magazines.

I think some of the Pattaya Mails popularity might be because it actually has more news than the CM mail, not a month will go by without some mysterious death of a farang falling from the 20th floor of a condo or another being fleeced by a gang of lady boys :) not sure if this is the sort of news we want in Chiang Mai?

Edited by anonymouse

I have to agree with Ulysse G. I have been reading CMM for 6 Years and I stopped buying it 3 years ago. Why not buy? Its free on the net, quality of articles decreased and bad information. Pattaya Mail and CMM are connected so why is CMM in trouble? I do now that what works in Pattaya may not work in Chiang Mai. As for the obvious if you have an English news paper you need articles and photos of ex-pats or you will crash. This weeks addition 27 articles all about Thai activities well done and interesting. Photos 24 all Thais, 2 ex-pats. I keep looking at CMM hopping that a serious change well happen. I wish them the best but I fell its only time that they go defunct as so many business in Chiang Mai due.

As a retired journalist (but still a writer of sorts) and publisher, I must say that I am disappointed by some of the hard copy magazines I see around Chiang Mai. I find that the CMM is a rather dull and uninspiring read. A newspaper of this type should engage with its audience much more rather than rehash stories that can be found in the Nation or Post, or even on the web. There is very little local interest and some of the articles strike me as somewhat amatuerish. Taking a purely professional view here, it does need to rethink its position in the market place and give people a real reason to pick it up every week. There are local issues that need to be covered and these are ignored. Much more could be done to make everyone of you want to pick it up each week and then look forward to the next issue. Alas it falls far short of that and I've given up with it .....

Meanwhile, I have seen CityLife and I like what I see. But how do I get it on a regular basis?

I agree that Pim is doing a great job with Chiang Mai Citylife, but the Expat Club and a few others also provide a few entertaining moments every month for free. Thanks to all of them! :)

I agree. I've really enjoyed CM CityLife since moving here. I also found another decent English source online at www.thethaireport.com for news from all over the country. Anyone have any other sources of English news, stories, etc.?

While there may be folks who may have some personal grievance against Chiang Mai Mail, everyone I know seems to think it's gone rapidly downhill.

I agree that some may have a personal grievance but I don't agree that it has gone downhill. The Chiang Mai Mail has always been what it is today. In fact if you pick up a copy from 5 years ago, I'll bet you would not be able to tell the difference.

While there may be folks who may have some personal grievance against Chiang Mai Mail, everyone I know seems to think it's gone rapidly downhill.

I agree that some may have a personal grievance but I don't agree that it has gone downhill. The Chiang Mai Mail has always been what it is today. In fact if you pick up a copy from 5 years ago, I'll bet you would not be able to tell the difference.

.... the date....

As a retired journalist (but still a writer of sorts) and publisher, I must say that I am disappointed by some of the hard copy magazines I see around Chiang Mai. I find that the CMM is a rather dull and uninspiring read. A newspaper of this type should engage with its audience much more rather than rehash stories that can be found in the Nation or Post, or even on the web. There is very little local interest and some of the articles strike me as somewhat amatuerish. Taking a purely professional view here, it does need to rethink its position in the market place and give people a real reason to pick it up every week. There are local issues that need to be covered and these are ignored. Much more could be done to make everyone of you want to pick it up each week and then look forward to the next issue. Alas it falls far short of that and I've given up with it .....

Meanwhile, I have seen CityLife and I like what I see. But how do I get it on a regular basis?

Wander down to any Rimping Supermarket in the first week of the month and pick up a complimentary copy. I guess its available at many other places too and at as a last resort their office. A very good read and a publication you could let sit on a spare shelf for future reference.I just bought my first and last copy of the CMM.If ever a publication needed an injection of ideas and reaonably good journalism it CMM.

Pattaya is a different story with the mayhem that goes on within the city's boundaries .Hardly a day goes by without someone jumping of a tall building or being found deceased in their apartment. Some of the police reports, while extremely sad, are quite amusing.Throw in drug busts , crackdowns ,corruption ,fraud etc it makes for interesting copy.