Set Up Costs

Hi,

I am building a house in a small village in Nong Khai Providence. It's a simple, one floor Thai style house, next to the main road.

How much would it cost to install gas, electricity, and water to my future home? I was quoted a price of 20,000 BHT for everything. I just want to make sure that I am not being taken advantage of.

Thanks for any advice or information.

Edited by teacherchris

Hi,

I am building a house in a small village in Nong Khai Providence. It's a simple, one floor Thai style house, next to the main road.

How much would it cost to install gas, electricity, and water to my future home? I was quoted a price of 20,000 BHT for everything. I just want to make sure that I am not being taken advantage of.

Overall price for all 3 sounds a bit too good to be true, to be honest! Consider the following, though:

Gas: it will always be supplied from a portable gas bottle. If it is just going to a gas hob / stove, then cost will be just the price of a gas pipe from bottle to appliance. A decent size bottle of gas should be around 700 baht. If you're having the house built, then for safety, build a little gas storage area 'outside' the kitchen wall...............please don't just shove it in a cupboard near the gas hob!

Water : really depends on if you have a mains supply, or need to dig a well / storage tank. If the latter, then price out well digging and a water pump - builder may or may not dig wells!

Electricity : much of the wiring installation should be included in your build price. Extras from local electric supplier are dependant on the meter capability, but should total around 15 / 17,000 max.

Hi,

One other point, not directly linked to your main query. But, when people here say things like "20,000 BHT for everything" (especially when building houses), they don't really mean it! Think of every little aspect of the task, break it down, then ask how much. Many things they just don't consider here, and what we think is "everything", will be "extras" to them!

And I do have to ask...........are you really, certainly, positive that you want to build a house in a village up in Nong Khai?? You need to realise that you will likely NEVER be able to sell it and get your money back.