Marriage Visa From Thai Government

:o Hi I will be entering Thailand on 30 day visa being US citizen. I will marry a wonderful Thai lady with in a week of arrival. Can I get a visa from the Thai government after we are married to stay for a longer time??? If so what must we do????

Thanks

:o Hi I will be entering Thailand on 30 day visa being US citizen. I will marry a wonderful Thai lady with in a week of arrival. Can I get a visa from the Thai government after we are married to stay for a longer time??? If so what must we do????

Thanks

Get a Non-Immigrant O class visa from Houston before you leave. That 30 day permit cannot be changed so the alternative is going to another country and applying when you are married.

To give advise it would be very helpful to know your intentions; other than a quick marriage. Do you intend to live here? Support yourself? Retired? Income? Savings? Do you know the requirement to obtain paperwork from the US Embassy and have it legalized at the Ministry of Foreign Affairs prior to any marriage? Do you intend to take wife to US?

The fact you say enter with a 30 day visa and there is no such thing (it is an entry for 30 days without visa) leaves it hard to tailer advise to your situation. We do try to help if people give us enough information to make a rational statement.

Best to get a non immigrant o visa be it single or multi entry from a Thai consulate in the U.S . You must allready be on a non imm visa to be able to get any type of longer stay visa and you can only get a non imm visa from outside of Thailand.

Best to get a non immigrant o visa be it single or multi entry from a Thai consulate in the U.S . You must allready be on a non imm visa to be able to get any type of longer stay visa and you can only get a non imm  visa from outside of Thailand.

While a non immigrant would be preferred a regular tourist visa obtained outside Thailand can be changed inside Thailand as Immigration has full authority to change a visa and this is the procedure as outlined on the official web site:

An application for change of the type of visa to be a Non-Immigrant Visa (Category "O")

Application Form for change of visa type

Original and a copy of passport

One(1) photograph, size 4X6 cm, front view, head unconvered and taken no longer than 6 months prior o filing of the application

Government Fee of Baht 2,000 per person

Original and copies of passport and work permit of the work permit holder

A copy of Certificate of Marriage or evidence of family certified by the Embassy

A copy of Birth Certificate of a child or evidence of family certified by the Embassy

Recommendation Letter for change of visa type from the relevant authorities, such as the Board of Investment, the Department of Mineral Resources of The Industrail Estate Authority of Thailand

A copy of the Company's Certificate of VAT Registration or Certificate of Specific Business by the Commercial of the updated List of Shareholders of the Company that has benn submitted to and certified by the Commercial Registration Department, the validity of which should be on older than 6 months

To give advise it would be very helpful to know your intentions; other than a quick marriage.  Do you intend to live here?  Support yourself?  Retired?  Income?  Savings?  Do you know the requirement to obtain paperwork from the US Embassy and have it legalized at the Ministry of Foreign Affairs prior to any marriage?  Do you intend to take wife to US? 

The fact you say enter with a 30 day visa and there is no such thing (it is an entry for 30 days without visa) leaves it hard to tailer advise to your situation.  We do try to help if people give us enough information to make a rational statement.

Here is what I did although your situation is a bit different. We were married overseas and had a 8 year history.

Enter on a non imigrant O visa and apply for a marriage extension.

You will need to show a Thai bank account with a transfer of 400,000 bht from overseas.

Of course a variety of paperwork and fees.

Sometimes they will send investigators to your home and ask the neighbors a few questions to determine if any fraud has occured.