What To Do When Tyre Goes Flat In The Middle Of Nowhere?

Cobrabiker

I am riding a small bike, honda click, the inner tube went burst 4 times, luckily I was within reach of the bike shop and some are even open 24hrs.

I was wondering if I go for a long trip, what to do if the tyre goes burst again, and I am in the middle of nowhere dark at night, and what are the remedies for

1) tyre with inner tube,

2) tubless tyre

I beleive there is no emergengcy kit for tyres with inner tube. I read in this forum, there was a guy took his honda wave all the way to the north, travelling thousands of km, was he really that lucky that his inner tube did not get burst?

I was wondering if I go for a long trip, what to do if the tyre goes burst again, and I am in the middle of nowhere dark at night, and what are the remedies for

PB's advice about the MAG wheels is good advice, for sure... cured MY frequent blown inner tube problem.

I wasn't aware you could get tubeless tires for a motorcycle, here in Thailand! I didn't realize that they existed!

Also... if you're in the middle of nowhere and you get a flat... you can keep on driving, slowly... for a long time, if need be. Eventually the tire may get damaged, but that may be a WHOLE lot better outcome than being stranded, in the dark, at night.

I haven't seen the cans of pressurized goop, to fix a flat, here in Thailand... I don't think they are sold. In any case, the tire repair guys HATE working on a tire that's had the goop injected.

You also might try praying, intensely, prior to the trip... burn three sticks of incense, etc. etc... VISUALIZE A SUCCESSFUL JOURNEY!! Works for me!!

Recommend you carry a small pocket tire repair kit like this:

2_02_09_09_7_08_27.jpeg

It’s got it all you need to fix tubeless tires. Tools to get the object out, brimmer and all, plus the goey sticks that they use for plugging tires in the repair shops anyway, and CO2 bottles with adapter to inflate the tire, fits under the seat and can come in very handy if you get a puncture in the middle of nowhere.

Ride On!

Tony

2_02_09_09_7_08_27.jpeg

It’s got it all you need to fix tubeless tires. Tools to get the object out, brimmer and all, plus the goey sticks that they use for plugging tires in the repair shops anyway, and CO2 bottles with adapter to inflate the tire, fits under the seat and can come in very handy if you get a puncture in the middle of nowhere.

Ride On!

Tony

Do you push the plugs in from the outside after drilling the hole?

Where can you get these?

2_02_09_09_7_08_27.jpeg

It's got it all you need to fix tubeless tires. Tools to get the object out, brimmer and all, plus the goey sticks that they use for plugging tires in the repair shops anyway, and CO2 bottles with adapter to inflate the tire, fits under the seat and can come in very handy if you get a puncture in the middle of nowhere.

Ride On!

Tony

Where can you get these?

Hi Baz,

You can get 'em on the secret site that we're not allowed to mention on ThaiVisa :)

Ride On!

T

PB's advice about the MAG wheels is good advice, for sure... cured MY frequent blown inner tube problem.

I wasn't aware you could get tubeless tires for a motorcycle, here in Thailand! I didn't realize that they existed!

Also... if you're in the middle of nowhere and you get a flat... you can keep on driving, slowly... for a long time, if need be. Eventually the tire may get damaged, but that may be a WHOLE lot better outcome than being stranded, in the dark, at night.

I haven't seen the cans of pressurized goop, to fix a flat, here in Thailand... I don't think they are sold. In any case, the tire repair guys HATE working on a tire that's had the goop injected.

You also might try praying, intensely, prior to the trip... burn three sticks of incense, etc. etc... VISUALIZE A SUCCESSFUL JOURNEY!! Works for me!!

Hi , I am not shure of the cans of pressurized goop work on a bike but I may asume yes , I have ALWAYS 2 of those cans in my car and I did by those cans in Thailand.Iff I remember well in a good car parts shop but certanly in Chiang Mai.

Fantastic emergency kit, where to get it in Pattaya? I found out from u tube how it works, check this out!

http://www.stopngo.com/products/video/pocketplugger.html

But if the puncturing object is not inserted in the tire you may have to inflate it a few times to find out where the leak is in the dark... good luck.

I agree, but somehow it increases your chance during emergency. Does anybody know where to get this in thailand? If not I guess have to order from the web.

Don't worry...it's only flat on the bottom!

Yeah, just roll the bike forward onto the round bit of tyre and carry on :)

Seriously, I think you can buy the inflating foam canisters in the motoring section of Carrefour here in Chiang Mai.

For tubed tyres on small bikes like Waves e.t.c, if you are on a big trip, a spare tube, bicycle pump plus a couple of spanners to remove the wheel will have you back on the road within the hour as the tyres can virtually be peeled off the rims by hand.

If you are worried about it practice at home in daylight so as you know what to do.

Cheers,

Pikey.

Hi

Just bought this today 230B in some store hhhmmm, think it’s called value or something, can’t remember, will find out, if any from Phuket it’s a shop in the new Home Mart opposite Central, mostly imported stuff

I've used this particular kit on my tubeless Ruckus scooter and 2 car tires before, they really do work well.

You're supposed to replace the tire after such a repair but I never bothered and kept driving on the old tires since I don't drive very fast.

Just make sure you first leave enough of the plug sticking out so it really seals the puncture, then trim it off below the tread with small wire clippers so driving doesn't pull the plug out.

Never had a problem using this process

Edited by ttakata

Good info, thanks PeaceBlondie! So, change to tubeless, and what are the remedies when it goes flat? Does sealant works? (A canister type that pumps sealant into the tyre)

If you have tubeless best thing to have is a tire plugging kit on your bike, then you plug and go, the stupid foam is no good for any speed, any distance and it makes a massive mess inside the tire and rim. That is a massive job to get cleaned up that mess so plug kit is the way to go.

2_02_09_09_7_08_27.jpeg

If you have inner tubes (like enduro bikes) the foam can save you for a good bit, still cleanup and so on but far less. When you get to a place you can work off with the wheel, cleanup glue, patch, put back everything blow up and go.

Now it sounds like puncture is something you experience a lot, do you ride with the correct pressure? I puncture about once every 10,000,- Km but every time far from people so I always carry a kit on my bike... Plus a small flashlight as it seems to happen after dark only...

I see the kit is mentioned before, well you have the tool to fix the hole, push in special plug then inflate with the included CO2 bottle, adapters, tools, plugs for years and all is in the kit, this really works great as you just; Plug & Go as the name is... Problem with the Home Mart kit is the lack of anything to blow up the tire, so you plug and don't go anywhere. The motorcycle pocket kit is perfect, all you do is to replace the CO2 bottles when used, there is a lot of plugs in the kit and the plugs have a coating which glues in the plug...

Edited by Bard

The tube tires are really troublesome, the last time it went flat, it was not a puncture, but a big tear, then the mechanic told me it was due to insufficient pressure. The first time was a tear around the valve, the 2nd time was a punture, then got it patched up, but gave way after a while, the 3rd was a tear on the inner tube, because the previous replacement the bike shop took out the inner linen. Well, after all these, I pretty much know how to deal with inner tube, most important must have enough air.

So Bard, I will stick to tubless if I want to go long trip, and a pocket kit, but where to get it in Pattaya?

2_02_09_09_7_08_27.jpeg

It's got it all you need to fix tubeless tires. Tools to get the object out, brimmer and all, plus the goey sticks that they use for plugging tires in the repair shops anyway, and CO2 bottles with adapter to inflate the tire, fits under the seat and can come in very handy if you get a puncture in the middle of nowhere.

Ride On!

Tony

Where can you get these?

Hi Baz,

You can get 'em on the secret site that we're not allowed to mention on ThaiVisa :)

Ride On!

T

Had a look on ss, and couldn`t see them....where? T

Seen them all over the net, but want to compare prices..

Edited by husskydog

2_02_09_09_7_08_27.jpeg

Ride On!

Tony

Where can you get these?

Hi Baz,

Ride On!

T

Had a look on ss, and couldn`t see them....where? T

Seen them all over the net, but want to compare prices..

Hi Huskydog,

I've just sent you the link via PM.

Ride On!

Tony

What about Green Slime Sealant it costs a few hundred bath per pressured cannister and is not much bigger then the air pressure cannisters showing in the tire repair kit. I can remember that I fix a tire and ride back from Cambodia to Bangkok and even in Bangkok did not fix the tire and did not loss pressure for 4 days. Probably longer, but we needed to travel up-country again and didn't wanted to take the risk.

The tire repair guy was serious not happy with all the slime in the tire and the rim, but he was friendly and the whole extra cleaning costed me 40 Baht more...

Edited by Richard-BKK

Wow Guys!

Thank you for all the PM's and interest in this product. I never anticipated such demand. Our club only ordered a small quantity and they are already all sold.

Based on the interest here I think perhaps we should order a bunch more that we can pass on to bikers here and at our SSR booths at Bike Weeks.

It really is a very cool product! If you don't want to wait for us to get more you can order them easily online, though it'll cost you a bit more as SSR was able to negotiate a wholesale deal.

We'll try and get more as soon as possible.

Ride On!

Tony

What about the tyre repair sprays ? I don't know if you can use them for bikes ? Sold at Carrefour and some Tesco Lotus.

http://www.motodiffusion.com/media/catalog.../S/DSCN2144.jpg

As mentioned earlier in this thread the sprays work ok for most punctures, but create a terrible mess in the tire. Also- the small spray cans are generally single use only while the pocket tire plugger has enough cartridges and plugs to handle multiple punctures. I wonder how many tires you can inflate with the 4 cartridges supplied? New cartridges are dirt cheap. Ride On! Tony

For future reference, I heard of someone in Vietnam who had a flat and the local farmer took off the tyre and stuffed it with as many rags

as he could get in. The rider was then able to use the bike for quite a distance without damaging the tyre or rim. He must've driven slowly, though !

Edited by Latindancer

Hi Bigbikebkk, those used co2 can it be refilled? And where to get it refilled?

That is very innovative Latindancer, but I think I will rather be prepared than looking for alternatives when it happens, especially in the middle of the night with no house around. I think the pocket kit is the best emergency kit, compare to the sealant.