U.k. Conspiracy?

Boater

Official vows to get to the bottom of the case

Koh Phangan police are crying foul over a TV documentary series on Thailand being aired by Sky TV in the United Kingdom, saying it could be part of a conspiracy to destroy the country’s image in general and the island’s monthly full-moon party in particular. The eight-episode documentary, titled “Big Trouble in Tourist Thailand,” first aired on British Sky Sept. 6. The second episode was shown Sept. 13.

As a whole, the program tracks the travails of British tourists in Phuket, Koh Samui, Koh Phangan and Pattaya, with holidaymakers getting in trouble mostly with drink and drugs, and some sex.

http://news.samuiexpress.net/headline/558-uk-conspiracy.html

Koh Phangan police are crying foul over a TV documentary series on Thailand being aired by Sky TV in the United Kingdom, saying it could be part of a conspiracy to destroy the country’s image in general and the island’s monthly full-moon party in particular. The eight-episode documentary, titled “Big Trouble in Tourist Thailand,” first aired on British Sky Sept. 6. The second episode was shown Sept. 13.

The programme actually aired on Bravo, not Sky. I thought newspapers were supposed to check their facts?

Boater... we all buy the Samui Express... Do you really have to repeat every article they publish here?

Am I missing something or am I the only one who gets bored reading the same news twice?

R1CH, not everyone buys the paper :) .Samui Forum is read by not only local expats, but also by a large cross section of foreign members & visitors.

Koh Phangan police are crying foul over a TV documentary series on Thailand being aired by Sky TV in the United Kingdom, saying it could be part of a conspiracy to destroy the country's image in general and the island's monthly full-moon party in particular. The eight-episode documentary, titled "Big Trouble in Tourist Thailand," first aired on British Sky Sept. 6. The second episode was shown Sept. 13.

The programme actually aired on Bravo, not Sky. I thought newspapers were supposed to check their facts?

Samui Express get their facts wrong?!!!!!I actually quite enjoy it in it's true capacity as a comic.

With regards a "conspiracy" i don't necessarily think that the case. What has to be understood is that with the very large amounts of British tourists holidaying here every year, Thailand is news worthy, for good or bad, be it in newspapers or television. Bad news will gain more viewers/readers than good news. Lastly, let's face it, this place isn't doing much to help itself either is it?

Boater... we all buy the Samui Express... Do you really have to repeat every article they publish here?

Am I missing something or am I the only one who gets bored reading the same news twice?

R1CH, not everyone buys the paper :) .Samui Forum is read by not only local expats, but also by a large cross section of foreign members & visitors.

Good point, well made, I was indeed missing that :D Apologies Boater.

As a whole, the program tracks the travails of British tourists in Phuket, Koh Samui, Koh Phangan and Pattaya, with holidaymakers getting in trouble mostly with drink and drugs, and some sex.

i disagree that it will harm thailands reputation. They say that any pubicilty. good or bad is good. They do they documenturys all the time. Iibza un cut.Did one in spain. greece. Wil not stop people coming here. i think it will have oppoisite effect. I don't know why but people love all this stuff or they woul not watch it and they would not make. it. as for thailand's reuptation. For thai people. don't worry u will probably find that this will enspire people rarther than put them off coming. maybe even stop them smoking happy backie in puplic places

It says more about the state of Britain's youth than anything else. They'd have got the same story in the likes of Ibiza Town, Laganas in Zante, Malia in Crete or Faliraki in Rhodes, or anywhere else that is a holiday resort in the Mediterannean. It's very embarrassing ... and it also happens every Friday and saturday night in cities and towns up and down the UK ... one of the reasons why I am looking to leave the UK permanently ;o)

I met an old boy WW2 veteran at a wedding the other day, and he was fighting for his country and seeing his mates get blown apart at the same age as all these riff-raff. He was incredulous at today's youth behaviour ... obviously it's not all youth but it's far too many of them unfortunately .. and always drugs/alcohol to blame.

CONSPIRACY--------------------- PMSL

This was happening in Spain in the 70,s man so get real.phangan is renown for drugs and debauchery behaviour form all kinds of people,not just brits,even though they are generaly pissheads.Have you been to Blackpool?????

This was happening in Spain in the 70,s man so get real.phangan is renown for drugs and debauchery behaviour form all kinds of people,not just brits,even though they are generaly pissheads.Have you been to Blackpool?????

I confirm the above as correct as I was put in the Benidorm prison to sober up for a few days during the 70's :D:):D

As the t shirt says...Same Same but Different

It's amateurish to take a story and make a more or less crackpot theory the lead headline on the front page. My assertion comes from my experience of copy editing and doing the layout for the front page on two newspapers in Taiwan.

Anyway, the article is just a regurgitation of the basics, with emphasis on the preposterous.

...holidaymakers getting in trouble mostly with drink and drugs, and some sex.

I love that last part. Nice use of the comma too...you could have inserted an "uh" in there... :)