Motorbike Registration Issues ....

smileplur

Alright, I have some issues that I need to get sorted out. This is my first post here. Although I have read the forum in the past, I never had a need to post. I registered because you guys are the experts on all things to do with motorbikes and motorcycles.

A few years ago, I bought a motorbike from a friend because he had to unexpectedly leave the country. The bike wasn't registered in his name. Instead, he had it registered in Udon Thani under the name of a Thai friend of his. After doing this, she left Thailand with her boyfriend. As far as I know she currently resides in Australia, and there is no way to contact her.

I currently live in Bangkok. I have the green book. I have been told that it is not possible to change the name without her signature. However, I have been asking more people who seem to think that it is possible by signing some sort of form at the Land Transportation Office.

Furthermore, I don't have a license, and I am on a tourist visa at the moment.

Does anyone have any experience with this? I have never had a problem with the cops here. However, I want the bike and myself to be legal. I will be going for my motorbike license soon.

Legally you cannot change the name..

In reality a bribe often gets it done.. You need a fixer with a contact in the office.

You also dont say if this is a big bike or not.. Big bikes are having a major clampdown currently and many secondary issues may get thrown up. In reality unless the bike is worth a lot you may as well just keep it in the other name and pay the annual taxes, the bibe costs for trying what you need to do may run to the value of a old bike easily.

you need her signature on a proxy and a transfer form, both from Land transport office. You also need copy of her thai id card and tabien baan signed by her. then you can transfer the bike to yourself, without having a drivers lisence. If its a thai made bike it should be hazzlefree.

you need her signature on a proxy and a transfer form, both from Land transport office. You also need copy of her thai id card and tabien baan signed by her. then you can transfer the bike to yourself, without having a drivers lisence. If its a thai made bike it should be hazzlefree.

But hardly hassle free if he doesnt have those and shes not here and cannot be contacted. :)

But hardly hassle free if he doesnt have those and shes not here and cannot be contacted. :)

Agree. It was the "not having thai license" beeing hasslefree :D

Could use the adress in reg book for a start, if not her thai id number in book, to at least find someone knowing her whereabouts.