• Piggie's
    • Charlie's
    • Rose Guest House
    • UN Irish Pub
    • West
    • Duke's
    • Pun Pun, on the river

This poll is closed to new votes

All these have been mentioned. Don't consider price. Which tastes best?

I hope this thread remains light-hearted, as the poll is hardly scientific!

Without the option for "Other" and then provision of a blank field to fill in a venue, it puts me in mind of being asked the question "Have you stopped beating your wife? - Answer Yes or No". :D

I see good feedback on Piggys and am looking forward to trying it.

Rgds

P.S. Have never beaten a wife, more like the other way round :D

do yourself a favour and keep your money in your pocket

Uh....let's see, 3 posts total and all of them plugging Charlies. Hmmm...don't have to be a scholar to figure out what's going on here... :)

someone competitor bashing :D

spoils the idea of a forum being useful for information purposes

• Replies 280
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well I ate at Piggys tonight and all I can say is the fish was horrible. This was my second time eating there and the first time I didnt have the Cod and the meal was great.This time I had the Cod and when it arrived I thought there was a mistake. It was the size of a pork chop. If that wasnt bad enough I needed a knife to saw through it.It was the toughest piece of fish I have had id ages. When the waitress came by and asked if everything was OK, I sheepishly nodded yes. She said if I didnt like it I could complain ,no problem. Maybe she knew something I didnt. I am sorry I didnt tell her about the fish but I guess I've been here too long and didnt want to hurt her feelings. The difference between the quality of the fish in the 2 times that I've been there is unreal.Maybe I got the piece they were saving for the cat.The beer was ice cold and delicious.

With 50 informal votes, and now some more than harsh posts suddenly appearing, I think it's time to move onto the next gastronomic focal point. Possibly which restaurant has the best array of condiments on offer :)

How about a vote on which Chiang Mai restaurant has the sexiest waitresses?

And for those who said they will be returning to the UK and can’t wait to try the cod and Chips, in my area of England, just before I moved to Thailand, all the so called real authentic English fish and chip shops were owned and run by, Chinese, Turks, Indians and Pakistanis.

post-11344-1254940406_thumb.jpg

This was my second time eating there....

This time I had the Cod and when it arrived I thought there was a mistake. It was the size of a pork chop.

This may explain  it:

caf  2009-10-02 11:06:13 

"...the portion sizes are going down a bit. But all businesses do that after they get started..."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F6ZYlw19DmU

Just ran across this CHARLIE FISH an CHIPS on youtube.

Go Charlie Go :)

Great video. It reminded me of the time (about 15 years ago) when I decided to add Fish n Chips to the menu at my restaurant. I got my wife to buy some fish and I got the cooks to prepare it. I made some batter and then I showed them how easy it was to cook fish, 'English style'. As it happened the piece that I cooked curled up and looked sad and pathetic. 'Anyway', it's something like that, you'll get the hang of it', I said.

I then went back to the wife and told her about my failed attempt and then asked her to tell the staff to cook the rest of the fish and to do me some chips, too. Ten minutes later, out came the plate with the chips and two pieces of fish. One was my sad attempt and the other was an almost perfectly cooked piece that they did. 'They seem to have got the hang of it', I thought. Just as well they had me as a teacher - of how not to cook Fish n Chips!! :D

Haus Munchen, closed about 2 years ago, but I still have some fond memories and great stories (Involving Rats and Germans - 'don't mention the war').

Are there any happy-ending fish and chips shops in Chiang Mai?

Personally I hope so.

A little competition is not a bad thing. We need some new blood, new ideas. Good luck to Piggys and all new business startups.

And a little less unfair knocking of businesses would not go amiss, would it? (There was a recent post criticising Piggy s take away curry. At that time the owner confirmed they had not done any take away curries :) )

However, I was surprised portion sizes dropped so soon at Piggys. It was not a clever move. Maybe some Thai logic got involved.

Even so the portion size for fish and chips at 120 baht compares favourably with the prices at two other establishments at least ( one at 220 baht)

Is the problem with not being able to vote been fixed yet?

Life has taught me that some problems cannot be fixed...... especially those located between the ears.

:)

If one reads the results first.... than you have wasted your vote..... you do not get a chance.

The idea is to vote first then look and see what/who others have voted for....

not....

look first and then perhaps, just perhaps your vote is swayed.

However, I was surprised portion sizes dropped so soon at Piggys. It was not a clever move. Maybe some Thai logic got involved.

Even so the portion size for fish and chips at 120 baht compares favourably with the prices at two other establishments at least ( one at 220 baht)

The very first line of this post was "Don't consider price. Which tastes best?", yet you keep harping on about the small portions at Piggy's and prices!! 

Since you raised the issue, if you were to ask me, comparing the differences in ambience, 120b at Pinky's sounds very reasonable, and 220B at somewhere like Duke's would also be a bargain. Horses for courses.

Not for the FISH

:D

I fear the fish have had their chips :)

thats a cod awful joke :D

i know - best i could come up with.

game set and match to donnyboy :D:D

( for any publicans reading the thread, that is a tennis expression, meaning i concede to donnyboy's quick wit. :D )

Edited by caf

The very first line of this post was "Don't consider price. Which tastes best?", yet you keep harping on about the small portions at Piggy's and prices!!

Since you raised the issue, if you were to ask me, comparing the differences in ambience, 120b at Pinky's sounds very reasonable, and 220B at somewhere like Duke's would also be a bargain. Horses for courses.

Using your logic talking about ambience is also off topic then isn't it?

Taste is on topic and Piggys claims and does use beer batter.

cod, hasnt this thread died yet, am i the sole person that thinks this is floundering with all the off topic posts and red herrings mods please close it,

cod koi carp :)

wonder_lick_Cat2.jpg

Yes I agree.

This thread has been flogged to death.

More like battered to death.

I'm really glad the thread has been hijacked by the Les Dawson jokes as it was getting a bit nasty with lots of silly posts.

Fortunately it seems CM has many great places to buy fish and chips

Hi,

My wife and I went to Pun Pun, along the river, yesterday. I am from France and my wife is Thai, so we cannot comment on the “Fish & Chips” as we cook completely different. It was the first time we ate this “famous” English meal. However, what I can say and guarantee is that all people at Pun Pun are very kind, nice, caring and helpful.

Personally I hope so.

A little competition is not a bad thing. We need some new blood, new ideas. Good luck to Piggys and all new business startups.

And a little less unfair knocking of businesses would not go amiss, would it? (There was a recent post criticising Piggy s take away curry. At that time the owner confirmed they had not done any take away curries :) )

the portion sizes are the same in piggy's and the food is as good as ever, i eat there 2 times a week from the start and the food is still as fantastic as the first week, the girl there is lovley and just want's to earn a bit of money. and you can clearly see the kitchen and how clean it is.

go piggy's yeahhhhh :D

Ive been in all of these establishments and as far as fish and chips goes piggy's can't be beaten. as far as i know they have only been open a month or so. maybe someone else will win this poll because they have been in business for years but for price and quality piggy's is best!!!

maybe charlie's should lower his normal fish meal to 110 baht????

yeahhhhhh price war!!!!!

I have voted for quality and it has charlies anyone who votes otherwise need their taste buds tested

My vote was piggy,s .

looking at the kitchens in these different places always makes me think too. can you see what goes on in there? is everything boxed up good at night and stored the correct way! i don't want any food that a rat has been nibbling on!

piggy's is nice and clean and the portion sizes are still great.

someone told me there is going to be a new chip shop opening in loi kroh soon?

so maybe a new massive thread soon hahahahahaha

Ive been in all of these establishments and as far as fish and chips goes piggy's can't be beaten. as far as i know they have only been open a month or so. maybe someone else will win this poll because they have been in business for years but for price and quality piggy's is best!!!

maybe charlie's should lower his normal fish meal to 110 baht????

yeahhhhhh price war!!!!!

I have voted for quality and it has charlies anyone who votes otherwise need their taste buds tested

My vote was piggy,s .

looking at the kitchens in these different places always makes me think too. can you see what goes on in there? is everything boxed up good at night and stored the correct way! i don't want any food that a rat has been nibbling on!

piggy's is nice and clean and the portion sizes are still great.

someone told me there is going to be a new chip shop opening in loi kroh soon?

so maybe a new massive thread soon hahahahahaha

Thats a good point, its always nice to see a clean kitchen and she the cooks working. i often wonder what the kitchen looks like out the back somewhere in an old shed full of rats and lizards running around.

:D:D

Tried Pun Pun today for a fish and chips lunch. It was very tasty indeed and with 3 good sized pieces of fish in breadcrumbs with traditional chips you can't go wrong. Also, John, the owner is a true gentleman and it was a pleasure chatting with him. Unfortunately, I had no room left for his kind offer of apple pie for dessert. Definitely next time.

Tried Pun Pun today for a fish and chips lunch. It was very tasty indeed and with 3 good sized pieces of fish in breadcrumbs with traditional chips you can't go wrong. Also, John, the owner is a true gentleman and it was a pleasure chatting with him. Unfortunately, I had no room left for his kind offer of apple pie for dessert. Definitely next time.

I'm pleased you were pleased.

If American John's gentlemanliness was as consistent as his food, I might go back.

When he stopped the English lessons for the 2 Thai children he 'oversaw' as some kind of minor punishment some years back, I voted with my feet.

And no, I was not the teacher and had no involvement.

Only those 'old fashioned' ethics rearing their heads again.

I'm pleased you were pleased.

If American John's gentlemanliness was as consistent as his food, I might go back.

When he stopped the English lessons for the 2 Thai children he 'oversaw' as some kind of minor punishment some years back, I voted with my feet.

And no, I was not the teacher and had no involvement.

Only those 'old fashioned' ethics rearing their heads again.

Why would you want to say that in a public forum?  Didn't anyone teach you manners? Not very Gentleman-like if you ask me.

(I blame the parents!!).