• West
    • Duke's
    • Pun Pun, on the river

This poll is closed to new votes

• Replies 280
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

While it does have some merit, lets all not let this get out of proportion..... Its a fun thing, not as though a countries survival depended on the outcome. I know I have had a lot of fun with it and as icing on the cake have had several new customers.

I am happy to have met them and was very pleased that they were happy with our food. Matter of fact Venturalaw was just back for seconds, and brought the family......

I don't think there was anything so pressing in the outcome that required any hocus pocus and I hope there was none. We will still be selling food and hopefully its enjoyed, tomorrow and in the future. Hope to see many more guests. I say that not being anywhere near the top of the vote getters. thanks all and on with some new threads.

gonzo

May the force be with you ....

Sure we'll be back Gonzo... with that warm welcome and the fabulous food.... wouldn't we be kinda crazy to miss it? - See you soon.

Charlie makes the best fish & chips and is the most welcoming host in Chiang Mai.

The food, atmosphere and friendliness are top quality. Farangs actually speak with each other at Charlie's.

Others may try to copy, but Charlie has a wealth of experience and that can't be beaten.

I'd like to try Charlie's. Can you please give the location?? Thanks!

Below is a map that I found on his website, showing the best routes to Charlie`s:

post-11344-1255282770_thumb.jpg

Edited by sassienie

Now we know what an election in Iran is like! :)

So bad playing dirty tricks like that on here, people in chiangmai are not stupid!!!! rather than gain customers he will lose them!

On reading your post, I decided to have a good peruse of all the precious posts on this thread and to be honest, hand on heart and other places, I cannot see any funny business coming on.

What you’re not taking into consideration is that Charlie and his fish and chips restaurant have been long established here in Chiang Mai and has a good reputation. Over the years through working hard at establishing his restaurant, Charlie has achieved a large following of loyal customers. Many of Charlie’s customers, including myself love Charlie’s restaurant and consider it as an ex-pats oasis within this foreign land, plus hold an affection for Charlie, who is probably one of the most hospitable guys one could ever meet.

If any establishment is a load of crap, than no one would bother voting and your suggestion, if I`m reading this right, that this stupid voting thread is rigged, I put down to inexperience, especially if you are in business.

As I said previously, if any business offers quality and is the real deal, the word soon gets round, but this takes time and patience. People have to get to know you and your business has to gain a good reputation.

Before I retired, I had run and owned several businesses in the UK. To make them successful, I had to work at it and believe me, this didn’t happen over night, it was hard graft. These days I don’t envy anyone in business, especially in today’s world, where everything is so much more competitive.

People have they’re preferences about many things, and the votes on here reflect what the customers prefer plus their reasons why they like one restaurant, rather than another. That’s all there is to it, no big deal.

Edited by sassienie

People have they’re preferences about many things, and the votes on here reflect what the customers prefer plus their reasons why they like one restaurant, rather than another. That’s all there is to it, no big deal.

The point people are making is that the comments do not match the voting.

There has been a lot of business bashing on the thread, particularly from people who have never been to Piggys or are newly joined members - clearly "recruited" for the purpose.

If Charlie is involved, he should should start playing fairly.

If he is not involved, he should tell his "friiends" to stop their inaccuarate posts as it will ultimately harm his business.

I have been to both establishments but I will not support one that has to resort to a dirty tricks campaign.

The point people are making is that the comments do not match the voting.

There has been a lot of business bashing on the thread, particularly from people who have never been to Piggys or are newly joined members - clearly "recruited" for the purpose.

If Charlie is involved, he should should start playing fairly.

If he is not involved, he should tell his "friiends" to stop their inaccuarate posts as it will ultimately harm his business.

I have been to both establishments but I will not support one that has to resort to a dirty tricks campaign.

That pretty much sums it up. Well put.

Charlie makes the best fish & chips and is the most welcoming host in Chiang Mai.

The food, atmosphere and friendliness are top quality. Farangs actually speak with each other at Charlie's.

Others may try to copy, but Charlie has a wealth of experience and that can't be beaten.

I'd like to try Charlie's. Can you please give the location?? Thanks!

Below is a map that I found on his website, showing the best routes to Charlie`s:

In an earlier post (#87) you said "...I have create a route map to Charlie`s fish & chips restaurant."

First you say that you created the map for his website and now you say that you "found" it. I guess you could have found the one that you created...

Indeed we get an idea of what a vote in Iran, Iraq, Afghanistan or even closer to home, Chiang Mai Thailand might be like. :)

Yeah.... I guess it comes from being so close to the ocean....

:D

Here was me wondering when the sand in my sheets came from. I had no idea we were that close :)

another load of nonsense

Some recently-joined members may have to adjust, to the friendly laid-back sense-of-humour, which many of us longer-established local-farangs suffer from. Chillax ... as my kids would say (disgusting misuse of the Queen's English !). :D

I've taken 2 American's to Piggy's Fish & Chips so far and here are the results:

One looked at the dinner in front of him, stood up, paid his bill, and walked away saying something about Americans can't eat their fish & chips laden with so much grease and oil. We Brits split the untouched plate of tasty nosh between us and waved goodbye to our discontented friend who then headed for a fried breakfast at The Mad Dog! Thought that was quite funny considering the reasons for leaving the chippie.

The other chap ate the 120 Baht plateful of nosh. When asked by Khun Piggy if everything was alright, he told her that it was not and let her know that he did not like her food at all.

The moral of this story is that taste is a personal preference (even though the first bloke didn't even try!), and if someone doesn't like the nosh, it doesn't make it bad, tasteless, or poisonous, it just means that it disagrees with their pallet.

If the food of any restaurant is fresh, ample, and priced to your liking, then the only way to know whether it's a good deal for you, is to go and try yourself. A popular survey will not mean that YOU will necessarily enjoy the winning dish, it simply means that it's popular with a certain group.

I prefer Piggy's over some of the others, but it's obvious that the British style of cooking this dish is not to everyone's taste.

Aitch

Edited by Drew Aitch

Yeah.... I guess it comes from being so close to the ocean....

:D

Here was me wondering when the sand in my sheets came from. I had no idea we were that close :)

another load of nonsense

My dear Richard.....may I call you DICK for short? You really need to adjust to all these tongue in cheek jibes. You'll find your day is far better for it :D

I've taken 2 American's to Piggy's Fish & Chips so far and here are the results:

One looked at the dinner in front of him, stood up, paid his bill, and walked away saying something about Americans can't eat their fish & chips laden with so much grease and oil. We Brits split the untouched plate of tasty nosh between us and waved goodbye to our discontented friend who then headed for a fried breakfast at The Mad Dog! Thought that was quite funny considering the reasons for leaving the chippie.

The other chap ate the 120 Baht plateful of nosh. When asked by Khun Piggy if everything was alright, he told her that it was not and let her know that he did not like her food at all.

The moral of this story is that taste is a personal preference (even though the first bloke didn't even try!), and if someone doesn't like the nosh, it doesn't make it bad, tasteless, or poisonous, it just means that it disagrees with their pallet.

If the food of any restaurant is fresh, ample, and priced to your liking, then the only way to know whether it's a good deal for you, is to go and try yourself. A popular survey will not mean that YOU will necessarily enjoy the winning dish, it simply means that it's popular with a certain group.

I prefer Piggy's over some of the others, but it's obvious that the British style of cooking this dish is not to everyone's taste.

Aitch

That about sums it up really "taste is all about personal Preference"or is it? i am just wondering why should the cod in Piggy's taste any different to the cod in say Charlie's..does the lettus in Tesco's Lotus Taste any different to the Lettus in BIG C.

In the cheaper varieties of fish served in these two i believe Charlie uses Red Snapper which i believe is a fresh water fish (By all means correct me) farmed in Thailand and Piggy's uses Pangasius which is farmed in Vietnam.

The likes of charlie has his following and Mr Ryan of Piggys has his, which i suppse will increase over time given that it is a fairly new establishment.

I dont realy think the poll will show any thing i assume the older more established Fish and Chip

venues usually come out on tops over the less recently established venues just because they have had more time to build a larger cliente.

I am sure Charlies and the others will retain their customer base and i am equally sure Piggy's will add to theirs given time.

Aitch

That about sums it up really "taste is all about personal Preference"or is it? i am just wondering why should the cod in Piggy's taste any different to the cod in say Charlie's..does the lettus in Tesco's Lotus Taste any different to the Lettus in BIG C.

In the cheaper varieties of fish served in these two i believe Charlie uses Red Snapper which i believe is a fresh water fish (By all means correct me) farmed in Thailand and Piggy's uses Pangasius which is farmed in Vietnam.

The likes of charlie has his following and Mr Ryan of Piggys has his, which i suppse will increase over time given that it is a fairly new establishment.

I dont realy think the poll will show any thing i assume the older more established Fish and Chip

venues usually come out on tops over the less recently established venues just because they have had more time to build a larger cliente.

I am sure Charlies and the others will retain their customer base and i am equally sure Piggy's will add to theirs given time.

another poster has said charlie doesnt use cod; piggys certainly does. taste also differs depending on the batter. does charlie use beer batter? your point on the voting - it seems to have been swayed by some protectioist newbies

Aitch

another poster has said charlie doesnt use cod; piggys certainly does. taste also differs depending on the batter. does charlie use beer batter? your point on the voting - it seems to have been swayed by some protectioist newbies

Every real fish and chip shop should only use sea fish, never fresh water. i know piggy's only use sea fish.

cod is very expensive in thailand and you can tell the difference by the darker coloring and its more meaty and more sticky ,anyone who knows their fish can tell.

lets hope everyones shop and restaurant does well over the high period as anyone with a business in chiangmai needs all the luck they can get!.

:)

Aitch

I,m one of the Newbies that voted for Charlies,the reason being Charlie has created an excellent product using local fish.He too could have walked to Makro to buy his fish.It seems to me that the oldies on Thai Visa have a view on anything and everything on this site.Well done Charlie!Charlies fish and chips voted Number one in Chiang Mai by Thai Visa

Aitch

I,m one of the Newbies that voted for Charlies,the reason being Charlie has created an excellent product using local fish.He too could have walked to Makro to buy his fish.It seems to me that the oldies on Thai Visa have a view on anything and everything on this site.Well done Charlie!Charlies fish and chips voted Number one in Chiang Mai by Thai Visa

I was correcting the point that he uses cod, which he does not.

And I was making the point that there is an inconsistency in the positive comments on piggy's on this threrad and the actual voting for charlie. Other voters have spotted the correlation of newbie recruits and the change in the voting pattern. I have no problem with newbies. But recruiting people to damage a new business is off limits. If Charlie is aware of this he should play the gentleman and start playing fair. As I have said I like both establishments but I will not patronise an old business trying to knock a new business with unfair tactics.

I,m one of the Newbies that voted for Charlies,the reason being Charlie has created an excellent product using local fish.He too could have walked to Makro to buy his fish.It seems to me that the oldies on Thai Visa have a view on anything and everything on this site.

Have you considered that many people actually prefer salt water fish? :)

And I was making the point that there is an inconsistency in the positive comments on piggy's on this threrad and the actual voting for charlie. Other voters have spotted the correlation of newbie recruits and the change in the voting pattern. I have no problem with newbies. But recruiting people to damage a new business is off limits. If Charlie is aware of this he should play the gentleman and start playing fair. As I have said I like both establishments but I will not patronise an old business trying to knock a new business with unfair tactics.

Where exactly is that correlation, caf?

Read the 8 pages of threads and do the analysis, then look at the poll results, particularly noting the way the voting swung to charlies while the posts did not.

( there are also other posters who have made similar observations)

Read the 8 pages of threads and do the analysis, then look at the poll results, particularly noting the way the voting swung to charlies while the posts did not.

( there are also other posters who have made similar observations)

Why would recruiting people to vote for your shop in this poll be off limits? There's absolutely nothing scientific about this poll to begin with.

But nmore to the point, we now have 180 posts about fish and chips. you'd think there was something special about it. I mean it's not like making the perfect burger.