Powerful Earthquake Rocks Western Indonesia

churchill

Umm Tracer0 did you notice the time I posted that report? :)

Just so you can confirm it was 2009-09-30 18:00:00

The report was also compiled well before you posted it farma.

So for tracero to say it was almost a day late is untrue to say the least.

Edited by cyb

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

There's a need some basic geography lessons.

How does an earthquake 50km off Padang Sumatra propagate a wave that could come anywhere near the coast of Thailand?

:)

In 2004 the quake reached South America as several oil rigs where going up and down...

Whatever the quake before was a quake but as far as I know some very large blocks fell down into the deep sea....

They spotted during the next few days they were missing! note in 2004!! I think they even had a submarine checking out what happened..

In case anyone is unfamiliar with ZULU time used by NOAA and other agency notices.

Thai Time is ZULU +7 hours

For example the NOAA notice I posted was issued at 1026Z 30 Sep 09 which is 1726 Thai time 30Sep09

I posted as soon as the notice appeared on the NOAA site at 1800 Thai time 30Sep09

The NOAA estimated arrival time in Phuket was 1400Z which was 2100 Thai time 30Sep09 (approximately 3 hours after I posted the notice)

Thankfully it didn’t happen.

In case anyone is unfamiliar with ZULU time used by NOAA and other agency notices.

Thai Time is ZULU +7 hours

For example the NOAA notice I posted was issued at 1026Z 30 Sep 09 which is 1726 Thai time 30Sep09

I posted as soon as the notice appeared on the NOAA site at 1800 Thai time 30Sep09

The NOAA estimated arrival time in Phuket was 1400Z which was 2100 Thai time 30Sep09 (approximately 3 hours after I posted the notice)

Thankfully it didn't happen.

Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm I also live and learn.

Thanks for that Farma

Edited by cyb

Re: We seem to have potentialy 2 tsunamis going in different directions - What happens when they meet ?

In the open ocean, the waves would pass by and be superposed atop each other for the instant that they cross. Tsunami waves in the open ocean are typically only inches high, so maybe you would get a slight blip with a 1 foot wave. If there is any kind of wind blowing, you probably wouldn't even notice it under your boat. But they travel at very high speed, e.g., 500 mph so lots of energy and have very long wavelengths (crest to crest). They start to build vertically when they start to "feel" bottom, which in practical terms, is about on half the wave length. Then they slow down considerably and go vertical. The motion of the water in the wave then also starts to change from circular propagation to back and forth water movements (the ellipsoidal motion of the water/energy propagation is flattened).

Because tsunamis have a very long wave length (can be hundreds of yards or a mile), the start to feel bottom pretty far out from places like Phuket, because it's fairly shallow there. That's why in 2004 you could see it building on the horizon and it actually took a while to get to shore. But all that 500 mph energy is packed into that big mass of water and that's why you see such a huge surge of water at the beach. One other note, tsunamis passing an island will bend around it and hit all sides, and quite often will be higher on the leeward side. So, for instance, a mini tsunami hit Hawaii just a few days ago from that Tonga trench earthquake, and was actually higher on the northeast side for the islands.

Edited by FlightRisk

Yet another Earthquake in Samoa

SINGAPORE, Oct 2 (Reuters) - A fresh earthquake on Friday rattled the region around the Samoa islands, where a series of tsunamis destroyed villages and killed at least 146.

The U.S. Geological Service reported a 6.3 magnitude quake at a depth of 10 km (6.2 miles) off Tonga, an island near Western and American Samoa islands. There were no immediate reports of damage.

Four powerful tsunamis generated by a huge undersea quake crashed into Samoa and American Samoa on Tuesday, destroying in minutes a paradise of palm trees, resorts and pristine beaches.

http://www.reuters.com/article/marketsNews...P40088920091002