Tourist Police Pattaya

barrybike

after looking at trouble in thailand documentary ...i was wondering seeing as the tourist police are volunterrs ...what is the reason behind having the job ...is there no pay involved whatsoever ? or do the get long visa extensions or what ...???

just curious to see why foreigners would apply for a job(voluntary assuming no pay) that seems to have alot of hassle involved...i know they get to meet lots of people etc ..but there has to be more good reasons than this .....

Edited by barrybike

For what it's worth, Andrew Drummond apparently posted something up about the subject on another message board:

"I sent a Thai reporter to interview some Pattaya tourist police once, just as an excercise mind you.

She got some interesting stuff varied from walter mitty's (one Brit had a card saying he did diplomatic security which clearly did not check out) to others who all had an angle.

One had convictions abroad for kidnap and pimping (beat up one of his girls).

Another had a complaint against him at the British Embassy for using as stun gun against a farang during a police interview.

Another ran a business advising arrested foreigners on how much they needed to pay to have charges dropped (of which he took a cut).

And of course there are the local paper boys whom I presume are in it because they can be there when the news happened, Pattaya Mail, Pattaya City News, Pattaya People, all have members in the volunteer police..."

Barrybike, unbelievable as it may sound, some people do like to help others for no reward, other than the satisfaction of seeing a problem solved or a happy 'customer'.

Weird isn't it? Now why would someone want to do that? :)

Simon

I've been doing that for 7 years. :D

If there is no sinister reason for them doing it then they definitely should be applauded. Unfortunately in my opinion they are in it to look good and maybe to get some visa perks. I met them on walking street once and from the videos they just look like a bunch of wana be's. The ladies in Phuket on the other hand came across as genuine. Maybe I'm wrong?

If there is no sinister reason for them doing it then they definitely should be applauded. Unfortunately in my opinion they are in it to look good and maybe to get some visa perks. I met them on walking street once and from the videos they just look like a bunch of wana be's. The ladies in Phuket on the other hand came across as genuine. Maybe I'm wrong?

So, these volunteers give up their time to look good? Lol. If you think dealing with drunk, obnoxious and sometimes violent tourists is worth it to "look good" then we certainly have a different way of looking at things.

And what visa perks are you alluding too?

This is simple.

You are a Farang.

You have realised that you have a problem and that you will need assitance.

You are alone in a far,far away foreign country, in a place that is preyed upon by the scum of the earth in order to get your money, or worse.

Who do you turn to?

What face do you want to see?

Cant speak the language.

No one can help me.

Help me.!!

If these guys were,nt needed they would,nt be here. They are here for the benefit of tourists from everywhere.

Dont slag these guys off. I don,t want to spend my time assisting people on walking street, but these people do.

They are here for your benefit and mine.

So come on , be a little more forgiving.

Edited by soihok

To all the Tourist Police Volunteers, both Thai and Western… thanks for being there and being prepared to assist if I ever needed it.

HM – You take a lot of sh!te on this forum and its undeserved.

HM - I head to Pattaya perhaps one or two times per year… If someone comes up to you out of the blue and says thanks… It’s me… Thank you…

Tourist Police Volunteers – Please wear more visually friendly uniforms.

This is simple.

You are a Farang.

You have realised that you have a problem and that you will need assitance.

You are alone in a far,far away foreign country, in a place that is preyed upon by the scum of the earth in order to get your money, or worse.

Who do you turn to?

What face do you want to see?

Cant speak the language.

No one can help me.

Help me.!!

If these guys were,nt needed they would,nt be here. They are here for the benefit of tourists from everywhere.

Dont slag these guys off. I don,t want to spend my time assisting people on walking street, but these people do.

They are here for your benefit and mine.

So come on , be a little more forgiving.

Well said, hear,hear......... :)

+1

We should all be greatful , they are volunteers and love Thailand .

From what I've seen of the show on TV they are friendly and helpful when tourists are in trouble.

Edited by balo

after looking at trouble in thailand documentary ...i was wondering seeing as the tourist police are volunterrs ...what is the reason behind having the job ...is there no pay involved whatsoever ? or do the get long visa extensions or what ...???

just curious to see why foreigners would apply for a job(voluntary assuming no pay) that seems to have alot of hassle involved...i know they get to meet lots of people etc ..but there has to be more good reasons than this .....

Barry

To answer your question. These people that volunteer on the whole love thailand wholeheartedly, They want to help both farang and thai coexist without reward.

Admittedly there will be a few lowlifes that slip through the net. This is thailand in all said and done.

Howard miller come across to me as a good guy, His biggest problem (not his fault) is the way he carries himself (i do the same). Also the way he was portrayed on trouble in thailand. Some of those shots were made to make him look big and authorative.

Give him some slack and the other TPV they do a good job for little credit.

To the OP. What part of these volunteers clearly stated unpaid and unrewarded community volunteering do you have a problem comprehending? Howard has stated outright that there are no visa perks so stop trying to grind an axe that does not exist. If you want to say something, say it and stop pissing about inferring that there must be some dark intangible reason for their community service. Just because doing something out of the goodness of one's heart appears an alien concept to you, doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

To all the team that do the needful on WS, regardless of race, nationality, physical build and appearance, keep up the good work.

Ok i will add another part of the "puzzle".

Mr "VP" has a regular job but decided to join the "club" even if it's unpaid because of the "dark perks"

1) his business all of a sudden had to pay a fine, in the range of 100k, he called someone on the inside and it was "adjusted" to 20k, but that should be no news to anyone here...

2) He went for an undercover mission(plain clothes, no uniforms), to help all of us to get rid of one of the biggest danger for us, the eastern european working ladies, his mission was basically to have a very very close and deep encounter with the "enemy", then give them some recognizable banknotes, once done, their uniformed friends will step in to question these ladies and send them back home....

now you can come to your conclusions.

Ok i will add another part of the "puzzle".

Mr "VP" has a regular job but decided to join the "club" even if it's unpaid because of the "dark perks"

1) his business all of a sudden had to pay a fine, in the range of 100k, he called someone on the inside and it was "adjusted" to 20k, but that should be no news to anyone here...

2) He went for an undercover mission(plain clothes, no uniforms), to help all of us to get rid of one of the biggest danger for us, the eastern european working ladies, his mission was basically to have a very very close and deep encounter with the "enemy", then give them some recognizable banknotes, once done, their uniformed friends will step in to question these ladies and send them back home....

now you can come to your conclusions.

Puzzle? There's no puzzle in cobbling together anecdotal tales and old unsubstantiated claims and try to look like an Andrew Drummond wannabe. This is like watching the laundry going round and round.

3 out of 10

Must try harder.