3 Suggestions When Preparing Non-o Application Based On Marriage

I had recently submitted a visa extension based on marriage (non-O) at Suanplu and picked up the visa today at Chaengwattana.

Even though I read the posts re the lists of requirements and others' experience, on the day of the interview I came across several insights that I wished I had read myself:

1) my seasoned funds were in a savings account which had no transactions for several months: officer suggested I go deposit B100 at the SCB branch down the street and update my passbook accordingly, even though I had the bank letter. photocopied it on the way back, while she waited.

2) my 40 page album of multi-year relationship, marriage, around the house and birth of Thai kid was too much. she took a copy of our marriage photo but also suggested I come up with something like the one she had right there on her desk: a single jumbo print of another applicant who put multiple shots collaged into a single 4x6 print. Required shots: everyone in shot including children, in front of house, or in front of condo building entrance, in front of actual door if a condo, and inside the house/condo with family. Wedding ceremony shots preferred over studio shots. So I did my own Photoshopping and gave her a 5x7 next day for the files: she was happy. Many of the digital printers can also do the Photoshopping for you for a tiny fee, fyi.

3) NOT on any list but she asked for the proof of being single by my embassy before marriage. Ridiculous as I already had to do this silly feat when getting my Blue house registration several years back. Lucky for handy copies. Best to bring it if you have one.

One more thing: if you rent where you live, you need to show the rental contract (either English or Thai) and it can be totally irrespective of where your current house registration (if you have one) lists you. In my case, we were staying at a friend's condo temporarily for free so they asked for a letter from the condo's owner stating the free rent along with copies of his id card and house registration. Tiresome.

I had recently submitted a visa extension based on marriage (non-O) at Suanplu and picked up the visa today at Chaengwattana.

Even though I read the posts re the lists of requirements and others' experience, on the day of the interview I came across several insights that I wished I had read myself:

1) my seasoned funds were in a savings account which had no transactions for several months: officer suggested I go deposit B100 at the SCB branch down the street and update my passbook accordingly, even though I had the bank letter. photocopied it on the way back, while she waited.

2) my 40 page album of multi-year relationship, marriage, around the house and birth of Thai kid was too much. she took a copy of our marriage photo but also suggested I come up with something like the one she had right there on her desk: a single jumbo print of another applicant who put multiple shots collaged into a single 4x6 print. Required shots: everyone in shot including children, in front of house, or in front of condo building entrance, in front of actual door if a condo, and inside the house/condo with family. Wedding ceremony shots preferred over studio shots. So I did my own Photoshopping and gave her a 5x7 next day for the files: she was happy. Many of the digital printers can also do the Photoshopping for you for a tiny fee, fyi.

3) NOT on any list but she asked for the proof of being single by my embassy before marriage. Ridiculous as I already had to do this silly feat when getting my Blue house registration several years back. Lucky for handy copies. Best to bring it if you have one.

One more thing: if you rent where you live, you need to show the rental contract (either English or Thai) and it can be totally irrespective of where your current house registration (if you have one) lists you. In my case, we were staying at a friend's condo temporarily for free so they asked for a letter from the condo's owner stating the free rent along with copies of his id card and house registration. Tiresome.

Tiresome indeed. Just two additions to you excellent post.

1. Make sure the bank passbook is updated on the day you apply for the extension or initial application.

2. If you are applying for an "extension of stay" based on marriage, 'The Khor Por2 is now required (according to Suan Plu.) You can only obtain it at the Khet (BKK) or amphur/district office where you went to register your marriage! Cost is 20 Baht. (you need a copy of your wife's ID card and a copy of the Marriage certificate). Your wife can obtain this copy of Khor Por2 on her own; no need for you to show up.

Tiresome.

"Just two additions to you excellent post."

"1. Make sure the bank passbook is updated on the day you apply for the extension or initial application."

I think that was what the OP was saying.

I think that could be a problem with some offices. If the bank letter was done a day or two before, an update later might not match the amount on the letter, causing problems.

I'd suggest updating the bank book at the same time you get the bank letter. That way they'll match.

I have waited for someone to put this on thaivisa, the last two people have not under stood

his point on the bank book, if you have a saving account you can not up date your book as this

can only be done on there comps, and if there is no transaction is can not be done it will just say

it is up to date, I have allways got by this by getting my manager to give me a letter stating why

it cannot be done, but I have never thought that do not know this, but have had trouble in the past

when one said that if the book did not have the same date they would not give me a visa but every one

else has never said anythink about this and one said to me they understand why the date was not the same

I think they all know but the one that was funny about it was allways affter money.

The bank can update on there computer - I have had it done a number of times. There is no transaction required for an update on a teller computer. It is recorded as B/F in Bangkok Bank passbooks and was always done without asking when obtaining letter for Immigration. I can not believe any bank can really not do this - it is basic accounting.

H, thaiphoon if you can tell me how to get an ATM card on a saving account i would be greatfull.

because I have just rung my manager and she said that you cannot which I knew anyway,

this is not meant to be rude , but I have seen this said a lot on here and is incorrect imformation

for a saving account. And have allways wanted to know how everyone get around this thanks.

Your suggestion to update just before requesting the bank letter is probably the ideal solution, Terry. Would match everything. Still, the officer wasn't so perturbed by the issue, as it was herself that made the transaction suggestion and told me to just come back while she looked through the rest of the application.

BTW my interview questions:

1) How many brothers and sisters are in your family?

2) Before marriage, how long have you two dated?

Same #1 to my wife and 3) Where did you meet?

I expected a grilling but that was it. Mind you I spoke Thai to her at all times and my toddler even spilled jello over her desk and floor; yet all the officers just smiled at him. It was only the cleaner who grimaced and gave attitude.

I have not used SCB for this but they have a "COR" for "CORRECT" which could probably be used by a teller. They have to have some way to correct a mistaken entry. But that might lose points for them so can understand not wanting to do. But there should be a brought forward on any computer system. If really talking about fixed deposit account find it easier to believe.

As for "CORRECT" believe that is you have fixed deposit accounts? You might be able to get the due interest credited if immigration really required (not sure how that would print out in book). But most people use passbook savings I believe. Suspect if immigration are prepared to accept fixed deposit all they would require is the current letter of account balance.

I have been married for 15 years and intend to apply for marraige ext. soon. However, we got married at amphur and never had conventional wedding ceremony - so no photos!! Also how on earth could i prove i was single before marraige over 15 years ago?

Re. photos: we have many photos over the years from different locations but none at our current home - which my wife owns - so could we just take a few and add a few older ones in the mix?

Also i am not listed on the blue book - dont think it is possible for ferangs - and all the utility bills etc are in wifes name, so how do i prove my residence?

Thanks for any advice :)

Edited by rabcbroon

1. There is not set photo that is required - show them what you have - try to include in home and in front of home with number showing.

2. Two documents now seem to be required - official marriage certificate and the ledger entry paper make when registering. Believe they are Kor Ror 2 and 3 officially. A few requests have been made, apparently for the Embassy paper you provided District Office to prove your marriage status. I suspect that was in error and the first two items are what should be provided. People were able to get copy from District Office files I believe when it was requested.

3. Your wife will tell them where you live (it has to be with her for a marriage extension). She should have reported your presence but if like most Thai probably didn't.

My experience with bank letter:

I have been using a fixed deposit account for many years (KBank).

No ATM card possible on this account.

Updates show up only if there has been a transaction, in my case only every three months when interest is added and tax deducted. The bank's computers can only print the date of the transaction but not the date when the book was actually taken to the bank to get the update print.

To get around this problem I deposited some funds at a date not matching the due date of the main account, this created a second sub-account with a different due date.

When I apply for the letter I ask the bank to updated the book AND give me a summary print-out of all sub-accounts. This print-out (usually on a small piece of paper) shows all details as in the book but in the heading it shows the date it was printed! Suan Plu always studied this paper very carefully!

As for timing:

The letter can only be obtained at the branch where the account was opened. Our branch takes the application on one day and I have to collect the letter the next day, but the letter is dated as of the application date. After receiving the letter it's to late to go to IMM on that day, so the difference is always two days (I avoid holidays and weekends in between), but so far this has not been a problem with IMM.

Note:

I only speak from my own experience, not about what the rules say and how they are applied!

opalhort

"Two documents now seem to be required - official marriage certificate and the ledger entry paper make when registering. Believe they are Kor Ror 2 and 3 officially."

Does anyone have experience getting the ledger page from 20+ years ago?

I suspect that it won't be available on computer at my (now) local office.

1. There is not set photo that is required - show them what you have - try to include in home and in front of home with number showing.

2. Two documents now seem to be required - official marriage certificate and the ledger entry paper make when registering. Believe they are Kor Ror 2 and 3 officially. A few requests have been made, apparently for the Embassy paper you provided District Office to prove your marriage status. I suspect that was in error and the first two items are what should be provided. People were able to get copy from District Office files I believe when it was requested.

3. Your wife will tell them where you live (it has to be with her for a marriage extension). She should have reported your presence but if like most Thai probably didn't.

Thanks Lopburi, I have the kor lor 2 and 3. Didnt know i had the copy from the register or that it existed till i had a good look through all the documents. My wife neve reported my presence as you say - however i do report my presence everytime i do a visa run.

When you say (it has to be with her for a marraige extension) i guess you mean she has to be with me?

Thanks Lopburi, I have the kor lor 2 and 3. Didnt know i had the copy from the register or that it existed till i had a good look through all the documents. My wife neve reported my presence as you say - however i do report my presence everytime i do a visa run.

When you say (it has to be with her for a marraige extension) i guess you mean she has to be with me?

Immigration will want to interview the wife for extension of stay based on marriage.