Adsl Samui

I use Maxnet Premium 2Mbit/1Mbit for 1090baht/month which I just got installed here on Samui. The up/down speed is ok but the ping time for European and American servers are pure bullshit. From 0,5 sec to 2 sec. As response time is crucial for my work I am now completely stuck on what to do.

I am thinking of upgrading this premium account to maybe 4Mbit/1Mbit for 2500baht/month or maybe change provider to CAT or something else.

Any suggestions are more than very welcome. Is their any point in upgrading? Will this have any effect on the ping time? Are the other (CAT, TOT etc) companies any better regarding this? If so, which company should I use and what package?

Please help!

I use Maxnet Premium 2Mbit/1Mbit for 1090baht/month which I just got installed here on Samui. The up/down speed is ok but the ping time for European and American servers are pure bullshit. From 0,5 sec to 2 sec. As response time is crucial for my work I am now completely stuck on what to do.

I am thinking of upgrading this premium account to maybe 4Mbit/1Mbit for 2500baht/month or maybe change provider to CAT or something else.

Any suggestions are more than very welcome. Is their any point in upgrading? Will this have any effect on the ping time? Are the other (CAT, TOT etc) companies any better regarding this? If so, which company should I use and what package?

Please help!

I use TOT 4meg package for 938 baht per month incl. vat

The speeds have been crap for a week or 2

The Engineer tells me that there is an on-going problem with International websites !!!!!!

I use TOT 4meg package for 938 baht per month incl. vat

The speeds have been crap for a week or 2

The Engineer tells me that there is an on-going problem with International websites !!!!!!

What is your latency/ping time for example London and New York?

Have now tried a few of the Maxnet connections; Premium 3/1mbit, 5/1mbit and the 3bb 10 mbit. It seem that the better promised speed the worse my connection really gets. Within Thailand the spped rocks but as for international it is horrible and I dont get it why the worst speed (3/1mbit) performs best. Note I have taken traffic peak hours in consideration.

The ping time gets just about ridiculously bad. My 0,1Mbit AIS One-2-call GPRS connection is better than this. How come?

HELP please! Need a workable connection. Workable for me is ping times that at least are in level with my mobile connection.

I upgraded from the 2mb package to the 4mb with TOT and the speeds got worse. Night

times are terribly slow. I complained at the office in Nathon and got a confused

smile in return. An engineer was called out, and I was told that there are problems

in Bangkok!

I wouldn't advise paying anymore money than you are now as there are no guarantees

that your speeds will increase.

Wasn't Thailand meant to be the IT 'Hub' of Asia? :)

Edited by Noodles

Been happy with CAT since I got it - only issue is the price - 2,500 for 2mb/512k ADSL or 2,800 for 2mb/2mb SDSL - I recommend you go for ADSL unless you want fast uploading. If you order SDSL make sure you either get a cost for modem rental or be prepared to source an SDSL router, which is not an easy task on Samui. It's a 2mb solid connection and I personally haven't experienced any international site issues, and both browse and use ftp, scp, sftp to servers around the world on a daily basis.

Been happy with CAT since I got it - only issue is the price - 2,500 for 2mb/512k ADSL or 2,800 for 2mb/2mb SDSL - I recommend you go for ADSL unless you want fast uploading. If you order SDSL make sure you either get a cost for modem rental or be prepared to source an SDSL router, which is not an easy task on Samui. It's a 2mb solid connection and I personally haven't experienced any international site issues, and both browse and use ftp, scp, sftp to servers around the world on a daily basis.

What ping times do u get for London and New York? (www.speedtest.net)

Top Countries by Download Speed

* 1. 21.60 Mb/s Korea, Republic of

* 2. 15.95 Mb/s Japan

* 3. 15.02 Mb/s Aland Islands

* 4. 13.38 Mb/s Lithuania

* 5. 13.26 Mb/s Latvia

* 6. 13.22 Mb/s Sweden

* 7. 12.76 Mb/s Romania

* 8. 12.22 Mb/s Netherlands

* 9. 11.98 Mb/s Bulgaria

* 10. 9.95 Mb/s Moldova, Republic of

* 11. 9.50 Mb/s Hong Kong

* 12. 8.83 Mb/s Slovakia

* 13. 8.75 Mb/s Andorra

* 14. 8.54 Mb/s Germany

* 65. 2.88 Mb/s Thailand

Top Countries by Upload Speed

* 1. 8.93 Mb/s Lithuania

* 2. 7.15 Mb/s Japan

* 3. 5.60 Mb/s Bulgaria

* 4. 5.27 Mb/s Latvia

* 5. 5.23 Mb/s Aland Islands

* 6. 5.00 Mb/s Hong Kong

* 7. 4.96 Mb/s Romania

* 8. 4.70 Mb/s Sweden

* 9. 4.70 Mb/s Russian Federation

* 10. 4.52 Mb/s Slovenia

* 11. 4.09 Mb/s Andorra

* 12. 3.64 Mb/s Moldova, Republic of

* 13. 3.22 Mb/s Netherlands

* 14. 3.11 Mb/s Korea, Republic of

* 58. 0.70 Mb/s Thailand

Da da... Tot/others maybe scuk together right now. Jumped from tot 2mb to 4mb but moved location and my 4 mb is much slower than what the 2mb was and it is justified by REAL upload and download times (download any flick from youtube for example). Word is that TOT's 4mb 7plus hundred is good only for within the connection with servers in Thailand but I tell you it SUKCs big time compared to my OLD 2mb Global... - You got to get personally down to the TOT office, whine, crawl, ask a direct whining number and a promise from them that it will be done... maybe soon. (within month/week)

They can deliver the promised if enough people do this.

Edited by SamuiDude

Top Countries by Download Speed

* 1. 21.60 Mb/s Korea, Republic of

* 2. 15.95 Mb/s Japan

* 3. 15.02 Mb/s Aland Islands

* 4. 13.38 Mb/s Lithuania

* 5. 13.26 Mb/s Latvia

* 6. 13.22 Mb/s Sweden

* 7. 12.76 Mb/s Romania

* 8. 12.22 Mb/s Netherlands

* 9. 11.98 Mb/s Bulgaria

* 10. 9.95 Mb/s Moldova, Republic of

* 11. 9.50 Mb/s Hong Kong

* 12. 8.83 Mb/s Slovakia

* 13. 8.75 Mb/s Andorra

* 14. 8.54 Mb/s Germany

* 65. 2.88 Mb/s Thailand

Top Countries by Upload Speed

* 1. 8.93 Mb/s Lithuania

* 2. 7.15 Mb/s Japan

* 3. 5.60 Mb/s Bulgaria

* 4. 5.27 Mb/s Latvia

* 5. 5.23 Mb/s Aland Islands

* 6. 5.00 Mb/s Hong Kong

* 7. 4.96 Mb/s Romania

* 8. 4.70 Mb/s Sweden

* 9. 4.70 Mb/s Russian Federation

* 10. 4.52 Mb/s Slovenia

* 11. 4.09 Mb/s Andorra

* 12. 3.64 Mb/s Moldova, Republic of

* 13. 3.22 Mb/s Netherlands

* 14. 3.11 Mb/s Korea, Republic of

* 58. 0.70 Mb/s Thailand

These numbers only prove that countries/companies paying their share of the bandwidth have the opportunity to get it. That Lithuania is on top is a normal kind of mystery with rest of the Eastern Europe countries. They must pay low premiums??

582945889.png

nuff said :)

had* a business line that far far far slower :/

You're testing to Bangkok - can you post a test to London and New York as Jose and I did above? (For comparison I get 19ms ping to Bangkok, it's of course far lower than international response time)

Edited by danw

582945889.png

nuff said :)

had* a business line that far far far slower :/

Sorry to disappoint u but your numbers are really not that impressive. As Danw says try testing a few international servers instead. Cause it is with that many of us have problems.

583098699.png

So do we - in Hotel Operations - Chaweng Area - sometimes it's dreadful, but most of the time it's working!

Results from Speetest:

583125730.png

So do we - in Hotel Operations - Chaweng Area - sometimes it's dreadful, but most of the time it's working!

Results from Speetest:

583125730.png

Please provide tests for London and New York. Bangkok doesnt actually say much.

Doesnt seem like the ping times varies THAT MUCH between Maxnet and CAT. Maybe it is somethin else that makes the connection feel slow.

I use my connection for a lot of online gaming. Any experiences of this with CAT? I hardly cant play with my Maxnet as it takes forever.

hey Zorne,

By online gaming do you mean online poker? If so, I can recommend an upgrade to Maxnet paying 2500 baht a month, it's been a great connection for online poker. Being Samui there's the odd day or 2 every few weeks where the 2500 baht connection plays up, otherwise it's great.

NEVER use TOT. I've never used CAT so can't comment.

Good luck.

hey Zorne,

By online gaming do you mean online poker? If so, I can recommend an upgrade to Maxnet paying 2500 baht a month, it's been a great connection for online poker. Being Samui there's the odd day or 2 every few weeks where the 2500 baht connection plays up, otherwise it's great.

NEVER use TOT. I've never used CAT so can't comment.

Good luck.

Did I mention online gaming?! You a grinder?

Anyway, my connection now is a little better for some unexplainable reason. I use the cheapest premium package. During the afternoon and night it gets very bad though. Bad enough not to be able to do any serius on the Internet. The 2500 baht package, is that the 4mbit/1 mbit? Did you experience any problems during the first week or so when you installed it? I tried it a week ago and it actually performed worse than package I have now. Clueless to why.