Upgrade 30 Day Visa To Mutiple Entry Visa

Questions:

1. I'm moving to Thailand directly from working in Iraq. I wanted to know if after I get the basic 30 day visa stamp at the airport can I upgrade it to a mutiple entry visa or "O" visa while in Bangkok? I'm a US citizen with a Thai spouse.

2. If I cannot do the above in country, is it possible to apply and recieve the visa by mail? My spouse is in Thailand and I'm in Iraq. No embassies here or if so I cannot get to them.

3. Does an extended stay visa become viod if I leave Thaialnd or is it the same as a multiple entry visa? Why is the multiple entry visa being promoted as the better of the two?

Thanks

The requirements for a one year "Extension of Stay" based on marriage are posted in several topics. But, basically along with the supporting documents, you need proof of income 40,000 Baht per month or 400,000 Baht in a bank account in your name only for two months. If you have all of the required documents, you could enter with a visa exempt entry and could apply for the extension with 21 days remaining, if approved they could change your staus and give the extension. To leave the country you would need a re-entry permit to keep your stay valid.

If you will travel outside on a regular basis, I would consider just getting the one year multiple entry "O" visa. Each entry, you would be permitted stay 90 days, if that isn't long enough, you just exit and re-enter for another 90 days. If you enter just before the visa expiration date, you get another 90 days, making a stay of almost 15 months possible. No set amount of money is required for that option. But, if you enter on a "Visa Exempt" entry you would have to exit in 30 days, or apply for an extension (60 days possible). Then apply for the "O" Visa at a consulate outside of Thailand.

Depending on the airline, they may want to see proof of onward travel if you do not have a visa when you make your trip to Thailand.

Edited by beechguy

1. No

2. Not while in Thailand. Not sure you would want to do from Iraq.

3. An extension of stay only allows stay - it does not allow travel without a re-entry permit. It also depends on you application each year at about the same date so not good for people working long schedules out of Thailand.

You can only obtain an extension of stay by meeting the financial requirements - obtain non immigrant O visa and then 60 days later extend your stay. So unless you are staying a long period that will not work for you either. You can go to KL with copy of wife ID card/marriage certificate and a bank book showing 30-100k and obtain a multi entry non immigrant O visa if you want.

1. No

2. Not while in Thailand. Not sure you would want to do from Iraq.

3. An extension of stay only allows stay - it does not allow travel without a re-entry permit. It also depends on you application each year at about the same date so not good for people working long schedules out of Thailand.

You can only obtain an extension of stay by meeting the financial requirements - obtain non immigrant O visa and then 60 days later extend your stay. So unless you are staying a long period that will not work for you either. You can go to KL with copy of wife ID card/marriage certificate and a bank book showing 30-100k and obtain a multi entry non immigrant O visa if you want.

Thanks.

• 1 month later...

Going to Iran is not an option, but thanks...

OK, so this is where I stand. I'll be coming to Thailand the first week in December. I'll get the 30 day visa exempt stamp as I'm a US citizen. I will be joining my wife and children and will be there until March. I will then fly to the states for a week and return to Thailand. I do not have a Thai bank account yet, but do have the 400,000 THB available from my bank in the States. So my questions now are:

Is there a recommended bank that will allow me to open an account with just the 30 day stamp?

Once I have the money wired can I immediately fly out the KL and get a multi entry "O" visa?

How long will I be in KL?

Do they need to see 400,000 or 100,000 on my bank book?

I know some of the questions are already answered in the forum so please bare with me. Just trying to get it right the first time...

Peace

1. You may have to obtain onward ticket within 30 days to get on aircraft so check that out and/or allow extra time.

2. For finding bank is is a try the next one approach. Different branches will treat you differently. Your wife should be able to help as often they like a reference. Take your marriage paperwork with you so they know you are a long term player.

3. KL would like to see 100k but even less has worked. Have marriage certificate/copy of wife ID card and short note from her asking that visa be issued. Birth certificates of children also.

4. Have to apply in morning and pick up next workday early afternoon.

1. You may have to obtain onward ticket within 30 days to get on aircraft so check that out and/or allow extra time.

2. For finding bank is is a try the next one approach. Different branches will treat you differently. Your wife should be able to help as often they like a reference. Take your marriage paperwork with you so they know you are a long term player.

3. KL would like to see 100k but even less has worked. Have marriage certificate/copy of wife ID card and short note from her asking that visa be issued. Birth certificates of children also.

4. Have to apply in morning and pick up next workday early afternoon.

Thanks,

I do have a return ticket so that's not a problem. So once I get the bank account funded I go right to KL. I don't have to wait 2 months?

The return/onward ticket should be within your period of allowed stay - which is only 30 days on a visa exempt entry. It may pass muster but I would show up early just in case you have to buy a throw away (or better yet a flight to KL which you can use).

With respect to all, I was told that I could "upgrade" a 30 day visa exempt entry after arrival. I initially asked at Chonburi Immigration, and then asked the same question on this forum. On both occasions I was told it can be done at Bangkok Immigration using form TM87 ( application for a visa). Has something changed in the past week or so ?

The Op was asking about converting visa exempt entry to multiple entry Non-O visa which cannot be done at Thai immigration; such visa has to be obtained from embassy/consulate abroad (extension of stay did not suit his circumstances).

Yes you can go through 2 stage process to convert visa exempt entry to extension of stay as long as you have 21 days remaining on your permission to stay at the time of application and meet the requirements for that extension of stay.