Overstaying By One Day On A 30 Day Voa?

Hi All

I'm new and I would really appreciate any advice that people here could give me!

I am taking 4 months away from the UK to travel around Asia and I've started in Thailand. I did not apply for a Visa before leaving so I've got the 30 day allowance provided by immigration on arrival. (I didn't want to be bound by fixed flight dates so in order that I had an onward ticket when I landed in Bkk, I booked a dirt cheap ticket on airasia one way to PP in Cambodia, which I showed to my airline on check-in in London, which they were happy with, but I never planned to use that ticket).

I have no fixed itinerary but I planned to spend the 30 days in LOS before moving on to Malaysia within 30 days of my arrival in BKK. I've stayed in Bkk longer than planned though and my 30 days is up on Tuesday October 6th, by which time I must be gone from LOS so I don't overstay my 30 day allowance. My return ticket to London is from Bkk in December, so i plan to come back to LOS in late November and get another 30 days allowance on arrival.

My problem is this: I plan to go to India after Malaysia and I was a bit late in applying for my Indian Visa from the Indian Embassy in Bkk. It takes 5 days for a non-thai to apply for this at the BKK embassy. Due to the embassy being closed for two days this week to Indian holidays which i wasn't aware of, I should get my Indian Visa stamp in BKK at 430pm on Tuesday. That gives me about 8 HOURS to get the hel_l out of LOS which is cutting it a bit fine!!!!!!!!!

The airfares are really steep for an evening departture, so question is:

1 - if I overstay by one day and get a cheap flight on Wednesday morning, I understand there will be some sort of fine I'll have to pay, which is no problem, but will this hinder me in coming back to LOS in November? i.e. if you have overstayed before, will they be hesitant to just stamp you in again next time?

2 - If I do a Visa run to the Cambodian border before Tuesday to give me a few more days in LOS, would that be the best option and does anyone have any useful links or ideas as to how long this would take and how much it would cost?

Apologies for the long-winded post but any replies would be very gratefully received!!!

Signed,

Stoke

If your overstay is only one day, there is no fine to be paid (if you leave via air), however I do believe you will get an overstay stamp in your passport.

The next time you enter Thailand, you will have no problems regarding your overstay.

Visa run to Cambodia from Bangkok takes around 9 hours in total. Serveral companies run a fully arranged visa run service at around 2000 baht. Jack Golf, Thaivisarun.com and Thaivisaservices.com

Less than a 24 hour overstay will not be charged (normal is 500 baht per day) but you will get a small stamp in passport. It will not likely to effect future arrivals or visas (never has) and happens to many people every day.

A land arrival provides a 15 day stay and there are daily trips from Bangkok for about 2,000 baht all inclusive. They advertise in classifieds or can be found with a Google.

As said, no problems.

You'll get a overstay stamp in your passport.

If you don't want that you can go to immigrations and get 7 days extension of stay, cost 1900 baht ( bring two photos )

Edited by PoorSucker

Dude,

No problem on one day, I have overstayed a few times one day and more and have never had a problem returning or getting my non-b visa or work permit. If you are only going to be one day then dotn worry about anything, if you want to stay longer then your best option is to go to immigration and get an extension of stay, this saves you a long day going to Cambodia. I have not done this in about 8yrs, but I think the cost is now 1900 baht and you get 10 days. Not sure about the price or the time, cant recall as it has been a long time. but it can be done at immigration instead of a long day to Cambodia just for lunch and a re-entry stamp.

Hope this helps...

As said, one day overstay is not a problem and is not charged if leaving by air. You just need to be careful to make sure you are not involved in a police incident on the way to the airport as you are on overstay. If you want to stay longer you can apply for 7 day extension of stay at immigration with ticket out of the country. Cost 1900 baht.

We Did our home work !! arranged our times to coincide with all the neccesary visas for a 11week stay in thailand and bali, then along come thai airways a couple of days ago and altered our return flight dates to australia putting them back 3 putting us in overstay for 2days, drove to thai airways offices yesterday , they werent interested, we will have to try geting a 7 day extension in phuket next week, now matter how good you plan there is always the inevitable thai ingredient to fxxx things up :)

Many thanks everybody for all the advice, greatly appreciated!

I think I'll book a flight for the next day to Penang (I'll head to Singapore before going on to India) which would mean about a 12-18 hour overstay.

Thanks again

Stoke.

You can go to Immigration in Suan Plu in Bangkok on Monday and get a 7 day extension - especially if you have proof that u are waiting for the Indian consulate.

30 day tourist arrivalscan get 7 days extension - last time i heard it was 1000- baht..

Do it yourself,, dont pay the hawkers at the door...keep your passport with you..

Smile and be respectful - no problem.

You can go to Immigration in Suan Plu in Bangkok on Monday and get a 7 day extension - especially if you have proof that u are waiting for the Indian consulate.

30 day tourist arrivalscan get 7 days extension - last time i heard it was 1000- baht..

Do it yourself,, dont pay the hawkers at the door...keep your passport with you..

Smile and be respectful - no problem.

Your hearing is not very good ...

1) Suan Phlu closed on 28th September except for restricted services to nationals of Cambodia, Laos and Myanmar ..... now moved to Chaeng Wattana

2) 7 day extension of stay is available from immigration to people on 30 day visa exempt entry, with ticket out of the country, cost 1900 baht

Hi All,

Thanks for the help. My 30 day allowance expires tomorrow, but I should be able to get my Visa stamp by 430pm tomorrow and can book a flight then (It's not a good idea to book a flight to India before actually getting your visa stamp).

Then after 430pm tommorrow, I plan to go online and book a flight for the next day to Mumbai. So I shouldn't have too much of a problem doing this then?

Thanks,

Stoke

GAAAAHHHHH !!!

For the first time in my life, I have missed a flight! I underestimated the Bkk traffic situation.

This evening it was really bad and I got to Swampi 15 mins after check-in closed and they told me I was too late, so I've come back to Bkk and have booked another flight for the morning at 840 to Mumbai. Godddammit.

This now means I'm into my second day of overstay so I'll have to pay the fine at the airport. Can anyone tell me where exactly I will have to pay? I suppose I'll check in with the airline, who will notice I'm late leaving, but what happens then?