Japanese Driver Arrested Following Serious Road Crash.

Rimmer

Pattaya, October 3 [PATTAYA ONE NEWS] : In the early hours of Saturday Morning, Police and rescue workers were called to the scene of a serious road crash which had just occurred on the Sukumvit Road. The crash involved two vehicles; a Bronze Honda Civic driven by Mr. Satoshi Ezawa aged 58 from Japan and a Modified Mazda RX7 driven by a Thai Man who was accompanied by his girlfriend. A total of 6 people were injured in the crash, all suffering from serious injuries. One Japanese victim was given CPR at the scene and is currently in a critical but stable condition in Hospital. Mr. Ezawa was not injured and was detained by Police at the scene after witnesses explained that the Honda Civic had initiated a U-turn maneuver but came out on the opposing lane, in front of the fast moving Mazda RX7 which was unable to avoid a side-on collision with the Honda. Mr. Ezawa was also suspected of being intoxicated and we understand he was later charged with driving under the influence of alcohol and reckless driving endangering life.

Source:

http://www.pattayaone.net/news/2009/octobe...3_10_52_2.shtml

A noticeable trend with accidents is that intoxicated persons seem to get away with out injury which seems very unfair as they probably caused the accident in the first place. :)

That is not a trend, but a well known thing.

Has something to do with the bodily reaction to the effect of alcohol.

A noticeable trend with accidents is that intoxicated persons seem to get away with out injury which seems very unfair as they probably caused the accident in the first place. :)

I don't believe the penalties here are strong enough here to discourage drunk driving. It is also often a hassle to get the police involved after an accident.

My wife was hit one afternoon last week by a drunken farang who pulled out of a side soi without slowing down, without looking and then did not stop after the accident. Some people two blocks up the road managed to stop him and he just got out of the car with his beer in his hand and claimed he did not know he had hit anybody, then went and sat in a nearby restaurant with yet another beer.

The drunk had manged to hit her car so hard that the impact tore off all the front half of her bumper and front lights and trims, she told him you have 20 minutes to get your insurance company here or I will call the police. His insurance admitted liability straight away and had the work done straight away. When I asked her why she had not called the police and had him charged with Drunk driving, leaving the scene of an accident and driving without due care and attention and locked up she said that would take a long time to sort out and meanwhile her car would be off the road for weeks. I see here point but if drunk drivers are not punished they will do it again and again and next time it could be a child on a bicycle that gets hit and killed.

Some very good points, Thailand does not seem to have effective dedicated "Traffic Police" units, when not having a valid driving licence seems only to merit a slap on the wrist and tea money.

Hope his insurance company see's fit to adjust his next premium's to reflect risk.

That is not a trend, but a well known thing.

Has something to do with the bodily reaction to the effect of alcohol.

Yes, my post was more to provoke reaction and awareness.

The actual effect is that an intoxicated person is slower to react too, or is oblivious too an impending accident and therefore will not "brace/stiffen" limbs which can cause more trauma than when body mussels are relaxed.