Lessons Learned

ozsamurai

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't drink and ride the bike......its just not worth it (wear a helmet).

Live and let live

If a random starnger tells you numerous times he has been in the SAS or Mafia.....he is probably lying and living in cuckoo land

I agree with these three. :)

I'll add: Live far away from other "farangs".

A little bit racist towards all foreigners living in Thailand don't you think? If you hate them so much why join an expat forum you tool.

Toilets south of the 60th parallel and north of Mexico are free, plentiful, and cleaner than many Thai public toilets. You can walk 300 meters in a fancy Thai mall before finding a toilet.

Only 300metres, you obviously havent been to Central KadsuanKeauw in Chiangmai.... :)

They have toilets there?

Yes but they're in the far corners by the car park, about 289 steps from Sizzler, if you can find them. Plan ahead.

They do also have better (nicer) ones way in the back of Central Store, cant remember if they are on every floor.. still about the same distance,,,mind you could take longer having to push your way thru ALL the shoppers ..!! :D

This thread has been fun. It seems a lot of us have similar problems. :) Thais have grown up being able to squat for ages. After about 2 minutes of squating my knees start to sieze up. :D I think even the Thais have come to enjoy the western style toilets. Too bad most western bathrooms don't come with a spray hose by the toilet. It would help some of us who have a furry butt. :D

I like these threads that turn into a fun filled topic of scatology. LMFAO :D

I have also learned the painful way to NEVER EVER sprinkle chilli powder with my fingers again. And then go for a leak with sweaty balls.

"thirak, are you OK?" followed by gales of laughter... :)

Could you tell your wife with all due respects from me I sincerely appreciate the fact that Thai toilets are plentiful and free but that's not much reassurance when you're staring down the loo at last night's spicy pork with basil with no tissue and a water gun that's drier than the Gobi desert. :)

I told her mca....................She said your experience is still not as bad as hers when travelling through isolated national Parks in Canada and USA, where toilets were smelly one-holer's over a pit full of shit. That freaked her out so much she vomitted................Thank God for Thailand she opined!

MrDirk, BTDT, except there was no paper and the bum gum was wet, but the little plastic handle you need to press was broken off. That's when you find out how strong your thumb can be. btw, was it muu yang with naam djim muu? Love that stuff, but does build serious gaseous anal discharge.

mca, you have obviously never been to an Ozzie outback dunny which is INFESTED with huge <deleted> off spiders catching all the flies attracted to the moisture. Also a hole in the ground. I decided to skip the crap and keep going another 186kms to the next motel room thank you. At extralegal speed, of course.

And peaceblondie, what's wrong with driving a big block V8? Besides the gas guzzling and pollution? Love the noise. Gives me goose bumps.

Having 400ci V8 in Thailand would seriously kickass. Massive bragging rights down the local.

Not that I want one, I have become more civilized and drive a 260hp 5cylinder turbo car. And its not a f*cken Volvo. :D

MrDirk's quoted.......

Her reaction: "Toilets are very bad in Europe and North America. Especially Europe, where you have to pay to use them, and very expensive also. At least in Thailand toilets are plentiful and free, especially on major roadways"

Could you ask your wife.....what part of the USA that she had her bad toilet experience. I'm a Thai, who have been living in the States more than 20+ yr. For many years I had been driving to all different parts of the US, taking my children to complete in The State Tennis Tournament, we always passing through high way, small towns, and dozens times had using the facilities at the campground, or rest stop area, always impressed with the clean-mordern and well lit toilet and never paid a dime.

Even my Thai friends who once tagged along on one of those trips , remarked that they love the US because of the clean toilets everywhere.

Yes, in EU you have to pay a small change to use the toilet. I once paid to use a public portable in Madrid, Spain.

Lesson learned: if you don't know where you're going, don't depend on anyone else to know how to get there either- especially anyone involved in transportation!!! :D:)

After you've tried your own native language and their own native language, other languages are even less likely to work.

It's never the wrong time or the wrong place for a traffic jam.

I no longer try to avoid the people who wish to hurt themselves walking into me unless they are children, the elderly, or the genuinely blind.

Smiling often helps. Trying to wai the right people the right way makes a good impression (and if you get it wrong that's still usually ok).

Most Thai people have the same kinds of dreams, worries, concerns, problems, issues, dysfunctions, strengths, and talents that all kinds of people do. Look for the common ground.

Emotional and social function is more important publicly than intellectual, political, and economic function.

You can walk 300 meters in a fancy Thai mall before finding a toilet.

Or if you're really desperate more of a tip-toed type waddle.

:)

You guys are so funny.

Recently I had to quickly pull the car to the side of the road and make a mad dash into a corn field to the hilarity of some old women working the field, seeing a fat old farang answering an abrupt call of nature. Yes, my BVDs are still there too. Lucky a snake didn't bite me in the ass. :D

I tried to continue with the toilet humour, butt I think all the jokes have been made.

On a more serious note, never get into a street fight in Thailand. There's no such thing as a 1 on 1 or even 2 on 1 fight here. It's always 5 or 6 on 1, and they're really vicious ugly things to see. Fortunately, I've never been in one, but I've seen a couple that were sickening to watch.

I tried to continue with the toilet humour, butt I think all the jokes have been made.

On a more serious note, never get into a street fight in Thailand. There's no such thing as a 1 on 1 or even 2 on 1 fight here. It's always 5 or 6 on 1, and they're really vicious ugly things to see. Fortunately, I've never been in one, but I've seen a couple that were sickening to watch.

Some of the best observations so far. But some people never learn.

Never give any woman more than a 2-3 day block of money. Anything beyond that is quickly a donation to the black hole. Zero budgeting or money management skills here.

Correct. I'm quite convinced that Thais don't understand the meaning of the word... "budget". They figure that any money coming in is meant to be spent immediately. I've tried many times explaining that to the Thai family I take care of and it always falls on deaf ears.

Surprise ANY woman with a 1000 baht mobile phone credit and gain a friend for life! :D A great investment.

Very true. It is a good investment if you DO want her to keep track of you. :)

Her reaction: "Toilets are very bad in Europe and North America. Especially Europe, where you have to pay to use them, and very expensive also. At least in Thailand toilets are plentiful and free, especially on major roadways"

The Thai embassy in NYC has a small toilet in the public area. Throne, washbasin, no toilet paper, no soap, no towels.

The visa applicant doesn't realize this is their introduction to the country.