Can Farang Become Monk With Injury

tomahawk

In Sydney I was at a Thai temple once and there was a fat Sri Lankan monk present. All the monks were sitting on the floor eating, but he was on the end sitting in a chair and portable table - obviously was unable to sit on the ground.

Also my Thai friend known as 'the fat man' was able to ordain even though he could not kneel down during the ceremony. I missed it, but hear that he made so sort of attempt at bending over and that was acceptable.

yes, I know several Thai monks who are too fat to get up and down on the floor, and they sit in chairs... I also know a American monk, about 70 or 71 years old, who has been a monk for about 5 years, who also always sits in a chair. No one minds...

Hello everyone. I was planning to go to wat for a while to be ordained as monk but I have back injury and cannot sit for long time as monks do. Is it possible to get some kind of permission to sit on chair or in some fashion other than cross legged during prayers and such at wat? Thank you.

Hi Tomahawk.

I sincerely hope you're able achieve your ordination.

I'd go about choosing a suitable Wat, perhaps as a novice (retreatant) & once you find a place you're comfortable joining then approach them about being a monk.

I have read somewhere that some places have bizarre rules about "Qualifications for those to be ordained".

This is one I found at the Dhamakaya groups website.

Those who suffer from the following diseases;

• Leprosy, Measles or Pox, fungus of skin.
  • Skeletal deformity including handicapped, blind or deft.
  • Debilitating weakness.

I don't know if this is common thing or whether just for this group.

This is their general criteria:

• Male, aged between 20 and 55
  • Of good health, free from infectious diseases and drugs dependence;
  • Content with non-vegetarian diet and simple accommodation provided by the temple;
  • Free from commitments that might interrupt them during the course such as examinations or placements;
  • Willing to strictly follow the program and instructions of the teaching monks, and
  • Willing to strictly observe the Buddhist Eight Precepts as part of the training. The Eight Precepts involve abstaining from taking the life of any creature, stealing, unchastely, speaking falsely or abusively or maliciously, consuming alcohol or intoxicants, taking food after midday, singing or dancing romantic songs, wearing cosmetics, sleeping on luxurious high seats or beds.

I think it's down to how debilitating your back injury is.

Maybe others can comment on whether it's essential to be able to sit in a lotus or burmese position in order to achieve enlightenment.

If I remember my teachings right, Ananda, the monk who was Buddha's valet, so to speak, shortly after the Buddha died, sit and walked meditation for hours and hours, and finally received enightenment immediately after he laid down... p.s. not all temples are vegetarians...

Thank you Rocky That was very interesting and helpful. By these rules I am not qualified even if not from injury because I am too old.

Dhammakaya is not an orthodox sect. I think the maximum age of 55 is their own invention. The major two sects in Thailand wouldn't worry about that.

very true Camerata, I have never run into any temple here in Thailand, where age limit is a hinderance...

Age limit is not a hard and fast rule.. It all depends on the Chao Wat, the abbot of the temple.. I am 67 years old and ordained last July.. Most of the answers I see here are correct, except the age one. I have an old injury from Vietnam war and have a hard time sitting for a length of time on the floor also.. I use a small pillow inside my monks bag to sit on.. no one cares, they may joke a little about it, but in a friendly manner. The most important thing is, being dedicated to learning and following the Buddha's teachings. If you can show the abbot at the temple you want to join, that your are sincere, you will have no problems. Good luck..

Do most orthodox monks sit without a cushion or pillow?

I've started doing butterfly exercises to stretch my upper leg ligaments but I have no hope of being able to sit without some kind of cushion.

I've noticed Thai people learn to sit in the lotus position as young children. Most I've observed sit quite comfortably without any strain or discomfort. I on the other hand can't maintain such a posture without constant muscle tension with a resultant cramping in time.

Thank you everyone for all your kind help and wisdom. I learned a great deal and in fact my back has been recuperating to point where I can actually sit cross-legged for short periods, but it is still painful. I am continuing to look for right wat to try to do this and since I have just moved am in a new location and will inquire in new village. Funny thing is to sit cross-legged in America is called Indian style as native American people all sit that way but despite the fact I am part Mohawk I cannot. Probably white man genes are the predominant ones.

Also I wish to say that this is one time where on forum no one who replied to inquiry were negative or wise guy joking. I think this is a true indication of what has attracted me to the teachings of Buddha and to Buddhist people. I am grateful for everyone's help and guidance, and was particularly impressed by Mr. Jason because it is not usual in my experience for non-religious people to be so open and tolerant of those who are so I commend you for that and thanks to all. I also apologize in taking such a long time to thank those who helped me and it was because I was away from access to internet until now.