Life Experience Degree

zoolander

With a few exceptions, a degree is not required for a work permit. A life experience degree is highly suspect and would probably not count for those places which require a degree. If you have one, fine. If you don't, please don't waste your money on something that is nothing more than an attempt to circumvent the rules.

Best of luck to you.

Plenty of people use them and sometimes schools will ask the teacher to buy one. It's not illegal as it's not a fake. It's the school's responsibility to check the authenticity of this piece of paper. Some will check and insist on a degree from a recognised university, others aren't so fussy. i know of at least two high-profile private schools in CM that tell teachers without degrees to get a life-experience one from the Internet.

It's all not really ethical but what is in Thailand. All that counts is that you have a piece of paper. Surface-level authenticity is accepted here.

Edited by Loaded

It is not necessary to have a degree to get a work permit. If the school is willing to employ you without a degree, it is possible for them to obtain a wp. Any school that will not employ without a degree will not recognise a life degree as valid as it is not from an accredited university.

The sad thing for many people is that these degrees cost a considerable amount of money and there is a good chance that at some point they are going to catch up with this 'scam'. It will then be harder for everyone once again. Next, schools will be required to present the acrceditation papers of the school as well as proof the degree is authentic.

We've had threads on this recently, so if no one's got much new to say this one will probably be merged/closed with the previous ones soon.

IMHO, they're scams that will give those who try to use them a very short extra shelflife before they become relatively worthless even here; of course, your mileage may vary.

I share Scott's fear that schools using such methods will simply burden us all with more paperwork eventually, and to be honest what's the point? It's not illegal to work without a degree; it's just that the jobs are generally not as good (and fair enough). Nobody gets hurt if Mrs. Smith has a part-time job teaching English in the local village. In another 10-20 years, though, I would be surprised if people are still trying to do this (get remunerative teaching work without tertiary qualifications even here in Thailand), and if you're looking at the long haul I'd think twice about 'education' as a career if you haven't been to college or aren't in one- but maybe that's just my education speaking....

I am afraid I have to agree with IJWTT on the issue of the thread. It's been nice, it's been real, but the likelihood of anyone adding anything worthwhile is highly unlikely. However, if someone has something of value, please feel free to PM (or another Moderator) so that we can re-open the thread.

Topic closed.