100 Passengers Injured In Train Derailment In Hua Hin

webfact

Like so many others may I offer my sincerest condolences to the relatives of the injured and deceased here. I would like to add that too many people jump up and down proclaiming that "the railways are dangerous", "the buses are dangerous", "motorbikes are dangerous", "planes are dangerous". Please examine the demographics first. For example, when faced with the attractive statistic that women are safer drivers because they make less insurance claims please remember the simple fact that if there is a couple in a car that 90% of the time the man will do the driving. That is just the way it is, this means that more accidents involve men. Similar here. How many 100s of 1,000s travel by train in Thailand each year without suffering any injuries? 1 unfortunate accident and we are all waiting to blame the rails for the world's ills.

Train & planes are super safe transport. Followed by buses, then self-drive cars. It is worth noting, however, as more kms are done per person in self-drive cars than any other form of transport, there WILL be more accidents. It is just when a plane falls out of the sky or a train derails that more people are affected and these incidences are more newsworthy.

Sad though it is for the people involved it would not deter me one bit from travelling by train, plane or bus. Nor, if you weigh it all up, should it deter you.

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've traveled on that train many times on my way down to Surat Thani. I always enjoyed the ride and much better than the buses. It's truly a sad day and my condolences go out to the families of the injured and dead.

Caused entirely by lack of proper maintenance of track and sleepers, as we all know. State railways of Thailand are bankrupt and lose the counrty millions of baht every year. The only answer, of course, is massive investment but if they don't, rail travel in Thailand will be become more and more hazardous. It's such a shame because the railways in Thailand are such an under-used resource. Take Bangkok-Pattaya for example. Despite an 8 lane motorway and buses trauling up and down every 30 mins or less, we still have one train a day (!) in each direction and the departure from Bangkok leaves so early that it misses the arrival times of the long distance overnight trains from north and south. So it's impossible to travel from. say, Chiangmai to Bangkok overnight and then on to Pattaya in the morning. Wonder which brain box thought that one out!

It has long been rumoured that there is a "cosy arrangement" between the bus companies running to Pattaya and State rail to leave things exactly as they are on the Pattaya run

One thing, in regards to the comments after the two recent airline crashes and statements that overall airplanes are now (as oppose to the old days) equally safe throughout the airplane no-matter where one is seated; it is hard to judge from the photographs so it have to be a more general question: is being seated in the back of the train still a preferred practice in case of accidents?

As others have said before, my deepest sympathies go out to the families of the victims.

Whenever I travel from CM - BKK - CM I take the train. This tragic accident will not change that for me. I truly feel that it's the safest (and most economicial) option.

The large number of motorbike accidents don't put me off riding my motorbike either. It's just the way life is...

Very sad. RIP.

MCL

Update:

2-year-old among seven dead in Hua Hin's train derailment

BANGKOK: -- At least eight persons including a two-year old girl were killed when the Bangkok-Trang passenger train derailed at the seaside resort town of Hua Hin Monday morning, while rescue operation is

still underway to search for some passengers trapped inside the wrecked carriages.

The Emergency Medical Institute of Thailand said seven Thai female passengers were found dead and 88 passengers were injured. Of those injured, 22 were hospitalised.

Preliminary police investigation suggested that switching error might have caused the train to derail as it was approaching the station. Eight of the carriages derailed about 100 metres from Khao Tao Station in Hua Hin in

heavy rain.

Deputy Public Health Minister Manit Nopamornbodhi rushed to the accident scene and ordered emergency medical teams to help the victims.

All southern route trains were temporarily suspended because of the incident, leaving many passengers stranded.

State Railway of Thailand (SRT) president Yuthana Thapcharoen said it would take at least one day to clear the scene to allow the train services to resume.

The SRT president said a special committee has been set up to probe the cause of train derailment. Result is expected within five days.

tnalogo.jpg

-- TNA 2009-10-05

How can that thing derail? I push my shopping cart faster in Tesco than these things drive? Anyway, not too long ago the glorious PM mentioned big changes and investments regarding SRT, maybe the area around Hua Hin is a good idea to start with? My condolences to those involved and getting well wishes to the injured

A Dutch guy I met a few years ago, working on an NGO infrastructure project in Laos, told me maintenance is not part of the equation in countries like Thailand, Loas and Cambodia (his personal experience). To Asian people, infrastructural projects, according to him, have this air of permanency or imperishability, and, hence, yearly maintenance just doesn't fit in.

It's not just railroads. Roads get repaired, not maintained. Buildings get repaired, not maintained. Cars get repaired, not maintained. I guess we'll just continue seizing our days... ;-)

There was a news report only a few days ago about another derailment (I can't remember where). No one was injured, but the paper said it had been the fourth derailment on that stretch of line within three months, all due to rotting wooden sleepers. The railway authority announced that the line would be re-opened the following day!

Thailand's always had bad bus crashes, come upon a few myself. The last year or two some plane crashes and now train crashes. Just seems it's hard to find a good, safe way to get around in this country. No wonder it claims so many tourists. Safety is not first in Thailand, unfortunately.

Looks very nasty indeed and my condolences to those involved.

As for people asking for a cash injection for the railways, it gets one every year from the taxpayers to pay its ongoing losses. It is a crying shame that political manipulation over the years to benefit road transport has meant that the rail system has been massively neglected.

Amen, TAH. Same in Europe, UK & US (I have read). Just when we so desperately need eco-friendly rail systems, they are being eliminated, or have been already. Old Git

Caused entirely by lack of proper maintenance of track and sleepers, as we all know. State railways of Thailand are bankrupt and lose the counrty millions of baht every year. The only answer, of course, is massive investment but if they don't, rail travel in Thailand will be become more and more hazardous. It's such a shame because the railways in Thailand are such an under-used resource. Take Bangkok-Pattaya for example. Despite an 8 lane motorway and buses trauling up and down every 30 mins or less, we still have one train a day (!) in each direction and the departure from Bangkok leaves so early that it misses the arrival times of the long distance overnight trains from north and south. So it's impossible to travel from. say, Chiangmai to Bangkok overnight and then on to Pattaya in the morning. Wonder which brain box thought that one out!

Hotel owners :)

have done a lot of rail travel here, and noticed wooden sleepers are being replaced with concrete, starting around bangkok and moving outwards. quite possible maintenance on wooden sleepers slipping, especially if due to be replaced soon. Not sure how far south they have got.

Can't recall ever stopping at that station. Possible it has a passing loop where switching error could occur. Time of day, early a.m. also conducive to human error. :)

Update:

HUA HIN TRAIN ACCIDENT

Switching error may cause derailment : police

BANGKOK: -- Initial police investigation into the ill-fated train suggested that switching error may have caused the train to derail, Thai News Agency reported Monday.

Initial police investigation into the ill-fated train suggested that switching error may have caused the train to derail.

The train heading to Bangkok from Trang derailed just about 100 meters near Khao Tao station in Hua Hin district of Prachuab Khiri Khan early Monday.

The incident killed at least ten passengers including a two-year-old girl. The train left Trang at 5.20pm Sunday and was scheduled to arrive Bangkok at 8.25am Monday.

"Preliminary police investigation suggested that switching error might have caused the train to derail as it was approaching the station," the TNA reported.

Rescue operation is underway to search for passengers trapped inside the train.

Police said earlier that most of the victims were killed from the impact of the derailment.

All southern route trains were temporarily suspended for one day following the incident.

State Railway of Thailand (SRT) president Yuthana Thapcharoen said it would take at least one day to clear the scene to allow the train services to resume.

The SRT president said a special committee has been set up to probe the cause of train derailment. Result is expected within five days.

"But I believe that it would take more than one day," he said.

Rescue trains from Bangsue and Thungsong stations of Bangkok and Thungsong station of Nakhon Si Thammarat province to help lift the derailed trains.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2009-10-05

Sad. Been up and down that route many times and is pretty heavy going with many sketchy sections. Ideally needs a new line in either direction as opposed to the current one line with Rapids making way for the Express.

Horrible accident. Have yet to travel by train here, but as stated in comparison to the roads it should be safer to the buses...doesn't say much however.

Not true.

It is, also in Thailand, safer to be a train passenger.

Railway carriages are immensely strong compared to a bus frame.

Just have a look at the pictures of the accident, carriages all over the place, mostly structurally sound

And compare those to pictures from bus accidents.

Also, how many passengers were in the train, 1000 ,1500?

Compare this with bus accidents.

If this would have been a bus accident, with the same amount of passengers, there would be a much bigger number of victims.

Although, as an ex railwayman I am sometimes slightly disturbed by the condition of the railways over here, I will choose the train any time.

That said, some parts of the lines are good to very good (even double aligned) and sometimes parts are hopeless.

With some extra investment in track renewing and maintenance the railways could become a major transporter of passengers and freight.

Learn to read.

Twister, you have to learn to write before people can learn to read. You're the only illiterate one on this site.

Edited by travelinthai

Thailand's always had bad bus crashes, come upon a few myself. The last year or two some plane crashes and now train crashes. Just seems it's hard to find a good, safe way to get around in this country. No wonder it claims so many tourists. Safety is not first in Thailand, unfortunately.

Right..... a little off topic, but makes me think about that Santika fire; Saturdays Bangkok Post had the article on the BACK page; while the one kid reunited with his japanese father on the front........

Terrible shame.... take a look at that picture. There's no justice either. Just scapegoats and posterboys

I just read about this tragic event. How terrible it must be. We extend our heartfelt condolences to all the people who are involved in this otherwise preventable tragedy. It seems that in Thailand there is no crisis or emergency until it happens. "Not my problem" as they are wont to say. I wonder how many people are scrambling to duck or hide from scrutiny and lay the blame elsewhere instead of resolving this re-occurring nightmare.

If I may reply to several postings with one reply......

Firstly, my heartfelt condolences also to the injured and bereaved.

Secondly, IMHO, train travel IS still the safest form of GROUND travel in Thailand; SOME bus and taxi drivers frequently leave much to be desired, plus other drivers around them put danger in the path of even the best driver, but that's another topic!

Thirdly Orlov, the answer to your dilemma is to leave the train from CM at Hua Lumphong (my spelling may be wrong!) and either get a taxi to Ekamai and then the bus to Pattaya, or jump on the undergound at Hua Lumphong, get off at Asoke and get the Skytrain to Ekamai. The buses from Ekamai to Pattaya are very frequent and in 2008 the cost (as I recall) was about 120Baht. I agree it may not be quite as convenient as one might like but it works - I've done both - the former if I'm feeling tired or carrying lots of baggage, the latter if I'm feeling cheap or adventurous! :)

One more observation - not to belittle this accident in any way, but it does remind us that Thailand, in many ways, is still a developing nation with all that implies. There have been several horrendous rail crashes in the UK in the last decade and we're SUPPOSED to be more advanced!

Safe travelling to all (?) my readers! :D

I just read about this tragic event. How terrible it must be. We extend our heartfelt condolences to all the people who are involved in this otherwise preventable tragedy. It seems that in Thailand there is no crisis or emergency until it happens. "Not my problem" as they are wont to say. I wonder how many people are scrambling to duck or hide from scrutiny and lay the blame elsewhere instead of resolving this re-occurring nightmare.

Switching error - is that tech related? or is it human error?

Totally agree! The SRT could be so better developed and is clearly dying out perhaps due to the materialistic obsession of modern Thais which have allowed Thailand to become truly unique for this region as a car obsessed culture. Perhaps there is some belief amongst the ruling elitist in Bangkok that trains are lo-so, so no money is going to be flooded into this. If it's for show then bucket loads of taxpayers money will be spent on it especially if it is in the capital.

Think the incidence of accidents will likely increase as more poor use the trains than the rich so therefore much less political will to change the system. This will only make it more likely for the well off to continue pumping a hel_l load more of toxic global warming gases into the atmosphere by using cars even more claiming the rail is not safe and therefore reducing chances of fixing the maintenance issues even more.

As for the lack of common-sense regarding the brain-box that thought that up-yes, well said. A lack of common-sense amongst many government administrators does seem to be prevalent, though think that's a world wide phenomenon not just a TIT's issue!

Edited by fiercesnake

Namelist of the victims of Hua Hin train accident

Hua Hin hospital released names of the victims of the train accident near Khao Tao train station in Prachuab Khiri Khan Monday.

1. Mrs Orapin Jaijit, 42

2. Kanokluck Thabunrueng, 2

3. Mrs Naruemarn Nayasunthornkul, 50

4. Mrs Wimon Somjing, 43

5. Mrs Kalayakorn, 41

6. Unidentified woman

7. Unidentified woman

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2009-10-05