Chalong Circle Saga ......

Valentine

The Chalong circle saga continues with seemingly another construction in the centre, a big hole is being dug at the moment. Loads of money wasted over the years but I have no idea what the solution is although modifying all the left hand turns so they are not so sharp might help.

The circle was never going away.

It has been the bread and butter for the Chalong police for decades and they will not give it up.

Might as well take down the traffic lights and put them somewhere else on the island.

It has been the bread and butter for the Chalong police for decades and they will not give it up.

Might as well take down the traffic lights and put them somewhere else on the island.

I think traffic lights have been installed there at least twice & either never used or found to be ineffective. Having a smooth traffic flow does not mean the police cannot still set up check points.

YES! THe bottom of the hill coming from Nai Harn to Kata would be good!

how about getting rid of the dangerous and akward U-turn on Chaofa West where you make a left to make a u-turn to make a left and completely disrupt the flow of traffic?

Oh but then it would not be Thailand if the flow of traffic was not disrupted! I must stop wanting to impose my western ways in Thailand.

Edited by MisterMan

The Chalong circle saga continues with seemingly another construction in the centre, a big hole is being dug at the moment. Loads of money wasted over the years but I have no idea what the solution is although modifying all the left hand turns so they are not so sharp might help.

Construction?

I saw some people there under a tent/tarpaulin yesterday, just thought it was a family on a camping holiday; digging their own squat toilet mid-roundabout.

But seriously . . . is there any real answer to this one? I go through 2-4 times a day and just accept that's the way it is - chaos. Often 6-8 police in the busy times, and the concept of the 'drive 200m and do a u-turn' warrants some kind of prize, I'm just not sure what.

I read that they tried traffic lights but only for a few days? Before my time here . . .

I'll see what surprises my next trip has in store. I'm a cyclist . . . my life expectancy is . . . ?

Roundabout ettiquette is "Everyman for hisself", no matter what country yer in.

Simply put, vehicles on roundabout have rite of way...... period.

A thought......

Be ever so funny, but typically Thai if the fountain was refurbished and reinstalled.

Be there in 25 days, hope woteva is happening, is finished.

In Thai time, I should be so lucky.

Edited by Zpete

Maybe they are going to put the original fountain back :)

Reckon the plombing etc will still be there.

Cannot imagine it being pulled out.

........but srap metal mite be an enticement.

That hole being dug is the new entry to the Tube to Patong. :D

Had a look down as i rode past, the hole is about 8 feet deep.

Hope they plant a huge tree there, it would be beautiful.

Now that's the best idea yet,

A monster 'pheonix palm' would look great, smashing even........ (of cars and bikes)

Pedestrian refuge, .............yeah rite.

Move the police contrpl box from corner to centre of the circle.

Make a free left turn lane for that stoopid U turn idea.

• 2 weeks later...

not a fountain

not a tree

not new traffic lights

but . . .

Strong, white floodlights (400-watt lamps not standard 250-watts) set atop a 15m pole. The work is scheduled for completion by November 17 (I guess they mean 2009) The Phuket Highways Department office is funding the project at a cost of 3m baht.

That's sure to solve any congestion problems, isn't it?

A bit safer too for all the scooters with either no rear/front light, or both!

GIVE WAY FROM THE RIGHT signs is all that is needed and put one in the test center

We need one of these in Thai:

071121-yield.jpg

If you don't use traffic circles the correct way, they just become log jammed. Apparently the police haven't figured that one out yet. It's quite a laugh to watch the them induce this condition quite often whenever they halt traffic in the circle to let other traffic on.

I used to use and auto-cad type program to re-construct traffic accidents. I believe there is a way to ease traffic tremendously at the circle, and in involves getting rid of the circle entirly. I might someday for fun draw up my plan. :)

Edited by Scubabuddha

GIVE WAY FROM THE RIGHT signs is all that is needed and put one in the test center

071121-yield.jpg

If you don't use traffic circles the correct way, they just become log jammed. Apparently the police haven't figured that one out yet. It's quite a laugh to watch the them induce this condition quite often whenever they halt traffic in the circle to let other traffic on.

I used to use and auto-cad type program to re-construct traffic accidents. I believe there is a way to ease traffic tremendously at the circle, and in involves getting rid of the circle entirly. I might someday for fun draw up my plan. :)

As we used to say in Surrey;

wherever there's a traffic jam,

the police were there first :D

• 2 months later...

I never notice the new "bright" lights unless I think to look for them but the circle does seem to be a work in progress. New blocks have been installed & adorned with plants plus a festive season sign complete with nice little flashing lights.

I still maintain that allowing those new constructions on the corners have basically negated any chance to improve traffic flow as now the left hand turns cannot be widened & made less sharp. Whenever you approach the circle & you end up at the back of a long line waiting to get through do you always think the circle must be under manual control?

Having spent the last 2 years in Vietnam i can see they have the best solution to this problem..................approach the island with your hand on the horn, do not give way and to take the easiest route around the island whether it be clockwise or anti clockwise around the island, without hesitation.........if you have experienced Vietnam traffic islands trust me Thailand ones are bliss in comparison.

The U turn business is probably the best traffic management system i have ever encountered...............NOT!

What is amazing is that the circle had a 3 million baht budget for this upgrade.

All you get is a pole with some flood lights and a stone wall.

I'm expecting dancing girls any time soon

but seriously . . . the lines on the road do seem to have made a small improvement, and the lights at night are better than no lights; it's just something we have to live with - and get across safely 2-4 times most days for me; as a cyclist I go in the 'shelter' of something big - reminds me of those little fish who tag along with sharks.

071121-yield.jpg

<snip>

The sign (in Thai) has been there for years :

gallery_35489_957_331511.jpg

ให้ทาง = "Give way"

But how much face do you lose by obeying it if you're driving a Fortuner and there's a clapped out old Isuzu on the circle? :)

I'm pretty sure there's also a sign in English, but I don't have a picture of it. Anyway, we all know English speaking people always stop at circles or roundabouts (as English speaking English people tend to call them).