Bacon

NIB

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I saw the banner on Thaivisa as well. I never bothered to click on it. My thought was "what the hel_l"? Why would I want to make bacon. Like, it isn't all that expensive to purchase pre-made bacon. So is the motivation cost savings? Is it taste? Is there something wrong with how store bought bacon tastes? Like I don't eat alot of bacon, really. But I don't really have a complaint with the bacon that I purchased. Tell me, what is up with those kits? Like do I have to slaughter my own pig to use the Thaivisa make-your-own-bacon kit?

I saw the banner on Thaivisa as well. I never bothered to click on it. My thought was "what the hel_l"? Why would I want to make bacon. Like, it isn't all that expensive to purchase pre-made bacon. So is the motivation cost savings? Is it taste? Is there something wrong with how store bought bacon tastes? Like I don't eat alot of bacon, really. But I don't really have a complaint with the bacon that I purchased. Tell me, what is up with those kits? Like do I have to slaughter my own pig to use the Thaivisa make-your-own-bacon kit?

Why make your own bacon?

1. Cost -- about 1/2 the cost of store-bought bacon. Basically, it only cost a few baht more than the price of pork belly.

2. Taste -- levels above that store-bought liquid smoke taste, provided you smoke it the old fashioned way. If you buy "gourmet" bacon that has more flavor, then the price is likely more than double that of the pork.

In fact, I am brining/curing my own bacon at the moment, although not using a "kit", but my own method. I bought a 3-kilo slab of pork belly at Makro (I simply asked the butcher to cut it off of a larger pork belly). I have made bigger, but this size fits nicely into my container. I prefer a brine to the dry cure process - works just fine and seems more convenient for me; no worries about getting an even distribution of the cure.

I, like you, used to always buy store-bought bacon. Even in my home country. I was accustomed to the taste and never knew any different.

But necessity prompted me to make my own here, as I live in the boondocks. After I made my first home bacon, I had realized that I never really knew what real bacon is supposed to taste like, until then. Never bought store bacon again and have saved a lot of money.

I know others here talk about getting imported Western woods/woodchips for their smokers (apple, hickory, mesquite, etc), but I find mango wood easy to find, cheap (free), and the flavor is just fine.

Edited by ChefHeat

In the US, I can find some decent store-bought bacon.  It might be a little pricey, but it tastes as good if not better than home-made.  And the "regular" commercial bacon is acceptable.

But in Thailand, the "regular" bacon is simply horrible, and the "quality" bacon is merely acceptable.  I don't care one fig if home-made bacon is more or less expensive, but I do care that it is lightyears ahead of the commercial bacon available here in terms of taste.

In the US, I can find some decent store-bought bacon. It might be a little pricey, but it tastes as good if not better than home-made. And the "regular" commercial bacon is acceptable.

But in Thailand, the "regular" bacon is simply horrible, and the "quality" bacon is merely acceptable. I don't care one fig if home-made bacon is more or less expensive, but I do care that it is lightyears ahead of the commercial bacon available here in terms of taste.

I hope you're not including Farmer John or Hormel bacon in the US.

Edited by ChefHeat

Call me dumb, but...

How does one actually place an order for the Thaivisa make-your-own-bacon kit?

Out of curiosity, I clicked on the link and it says:

"Pexgo International Co., Ltd exports our kits all over Europe. Please contact us for a quote."

It does not appear to be ThaiVisa, but a sponsor located in Europe.

They have an online contact form at the link location.

I guess you would write in the "message" field that you are located in Thailand.

Edited by ChefHeat

Call me dumb, but...

"Pexgo International Co., Ltd exports our kits all over Europe. Please contact us for a quote."

100% wrong, he is based in Bangkok, selling in all over Thailand and exports as well as being a courier.........according to his leaflet.

I have to say I'm a very satisfied customer here in BKK.

Call me dumb, but...

100% wrong, he is based in Bangkok, selling in all over Thailand and exports as well as being a courier.........according to his leaflet.

I have to say I'm a very satisfied customer here in BKK.

No, that would make me 50% wrong, as it is not ThaiVisa :)

Edited by ChefHeat

Call me dumb, but...

Hi Dumb, click on the link and fill out the form

:D

OK, so I fill the contact form :)

Would it not be infinitely better if there was a real online ordering system? Not exactly rocket science, how about multiple payment options (PayPal, ATM transfer etc.).

I'd love to try this, missing real bacon (I've scoffed all that brought by my son frm the UK).

So all you do is stick the bacon in with the brine? No actual smoking going on? Is that a good way to do it?

ChefHeat mentioned using mango wood etc, I'm assuming that's for proper smoking, I won't have to buy this kit and then smoke the stuff after will I?

I'm really excited about this, I've really had enough of disappointing bacon, even the expensive stuff is cr4p, the best I can find is the black bacon rashers in foodland but they still lack real flavour or thickness...

Please advise

So all you do is stick the bacon in with the brine? No actual smoking going on? Is that a good way to do it?

ChefHeat mentioned using mango wood etc, I'm assuming that's for proper smoking, I won't have to buy this kit and then smoke the stuff after will I?

I'm really excited about this, I've really had enough of disappointing bacon, even the expensive stuff is cr4p, the best I can find is the black bacon rashers in foodland but they still lack real flavour or thickness...

Please advise

It appears they provide two options: one with smoke flavor; one without (presumably if you own a smoker).

I would think if you dont have a smoker, or cannot have one (if living in a condo or apartment), then the option with the smoke flavoring might be best for you. I would think the final product would still be better, and definitely cheaper in the long run, than the store bought stuff.

Smoking takes days and the proper curing process takes days too, and preferably in a cool place which isn't very easy to achieve in this climate, so yes I'll definitely be getting the smoked option :)

Ordering tonight, hope it comes soon!

Smoking takes days and the proper curing process takes days too, and preferably in a cool place which isn't very easy to achieve in this climate, so yes I'll definitely be getting the smoked option :)

Ordering tonight, hope it comes soon!

A refrigerator is a cool place :D

Mine is a very cold place, I need to keep my beers cold! :)

Well, after some investigation it seems that a fridge would be fine... Silly me

What do you think is in this brine mix anyway?

The 2 basic requirements would be non-iodized salt (like sea salt) and sugar.

For the smoke flavoring: by reading their method, it appears they might be using smoked salt.

Then again, they may provide you with some liquid smoke... cannot determine which from the information provided.

A 3rd requirement, cure (sodium nitrite), would be needed if actually smoking in a smoker. But reading their 3 examples on their site, I cannot determine if they are using cure in their mix or not, as it appears 2 of their methods require steaming (which would not necessitate a cure, as the steam-heat would kill bacteria). Not something I am familiar with, perhaps these are English-style methods? German?? Scandinavian??

Edited by ChefHeat

In the US, I can find some decent store-bought bacon. It might be a little pricey, but it tastes as good if not better than home-made. And the "regular" commercial bacon is acceptable.

But in Thailand, the "regular" bacon is simply horrible, and the "quality" bacon is merely acceptable. I don't care one fig if home-made bacon is more or less expensive, but I do care that it is lightyears ahead of the commercial bacon available here in terms of taste.

I hope you're not including Farmer John or Hormel bacon in the US.

I have never bought either of them, but I imagine they would be at least edible, if not really good.  I have tried a couple of the national brands, and they will do to put on a burger or such (although I wouldn't be using them for penne amatriciana or for beef bourguignon.)

The good bacon tends to be regional, made by smaller companies and distributed through the local stores. It costs a little more than the Farmer John and other national brands. Of course, at any butcher shop, you can get quality bacon, but that is what tends to be real pricey.

Briliant idea. Why not make your own bread also with a simple bread making machine, and icecream with a home icecream maker. Could also stimulate oneself so no need for a partner.

I have even heard that it is possible to grow your own vegetables :)

Edited by rabcbroon

I'm well pleased with my kit so far. Used it twice with pork loin from Makro. You can get a 2kg piece in the box. After three days a quick rinse and into the fridge for a couple of hours. It tastes better than most of the bacon you buy here and if you want rashers of loin they aren't that easy to find outside of the expat supermarkets like Villa. Will try streaky bacon next followed by shoulder of pork.

Briliant idea. Why not make your own bread also with a simple bread making machine, and icecream with a home icecream maker. Could also stimulate oneself so no need for a partner.

I have even heard that it is possible to grow your own vegetables :D

:)

I'm not crazy about bacon, and always considered it to be one of the unhealthiest foods to eat due to the high amount of fat and sodium it has. However, I enjoy a BLT (bacon, lettuce, and tomato sandwich) occasionally, so I was wondering if the bacon made from this kit is any healthier, especially in the area of reduced sodium.

Edited by Beacher

My starter kit, plain not smoked arrived yersterday via EMS.

I got loin pork from Makro last Sunday and mixed my first batch this morning so it should be ready by Sunday morning. :)

I hope it works as I usually buy my bacon from Makro in Nakhon Sawan as I live way out in the sticks.

I made some homemade sausages a few weeks ago and for a first try at least I can eat them and the dog hasn't been sick yet. :D

Next month I start on homemade bread but no we don't grow our own veggies yet.

That is in next years plan.

My starter kit, plain not smoked arrived yersterday via EMS.

I got loin pork from Makro last Sunday and mixed my first batch this morning so it should be ready by Sunday morning. :)

I hope it works as I usually buy my bacon from Makro in Nakhon Sawan as I live way out in the sticks.

I made some homemade sausages a few weeks ago and for a first try at least I can eat them and the dog hasn't been sick yet. :D

Next month I start on homemade bread but no we don't grow our own veggies yet.

That is in next years plan.

You may wish to consider a Kit-Car also and perhaps learning to knit

I am surprised no one has noticed that the two posters (NIB and touting this both have very few posts. Seems a bit fishy to me. I don't mind someone announcing their product but I don't like these shady fake postings.

The idea of meat curing kits is not bad and I am sure the product is good as making bacon is a very easy thing to do and most people have no idea how easy it is. All you do is disolve salt, sugar, sodium nitrite and any extra spices you might want in water. Put the meat in the brine, keep cool and let sit for x number of days depending on what you are making. There are plenty of recipes all over the net just google meat curing.

Morton Salt sells meat cures for around $9 for 7 pound bags or $5 for 2 pounds or their TenderQuick product. You only use a tablespoon or so per pound of meat so even with shipping this is way cheaper and you know exactly what is in it.

http://www.mortonsalt.com/products/meatcuring/index.html

They also have recipes.

http://www.mortonsalt.com/recipes/RecipeCategory.aspx?CID=6

I have had good results with these products for making a wide variety of foods such as lox, bacon, Canadian style bacon, corned beef, sausage. Curing your own meat is easy , cheap, and you can adjust to your own tastes so usually better than the mass produced products, not to mention fun. These advantages are all multiplied when you live in Thailand where low quality products are sold at inflated prices and mediocre products are sold as delicacies.

I am surprised no one has noticed that the two posters (NIB and touting this both have very few posts. Seems a bit fishy to me. I don't mind someone announcing their product but I don't like these shady fake postings.

<deleted> are you on about?

I think its now pretty obvious that the kit maker is not even a member of TV, <deleted>

You must lead a pretty shallow life dude.