Bacon

NIB

I sent the e-mail and received a failed delivery notice, Let me give you the e-mail address for the ovens.

heatkit.com/html/bakeoven.htm

If you like an oven click on the picture, get more data. In the mean time I will look up the Sunset Magazine plans.

You got that mesg because my email was full of junk mail.

Thanks for informing me, my mailbox is clear now.

Thanks for the link.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I sent the e-mail and received a failed delivery notice, Let me give you the e-mail address for the ovens.

If you like an oven click on the picture, get more data. In the mean time I will look up the Sunset Magazine plans.

You got that mesg because my email was full of junk mail.

Thanks for informing me, my mailbox is clear now.

Thanks for the link.

Give me a few days and I will try to reconstruct how I built the oven in a picture format ,as I said " when in Thailand use what the Thais use" I will take pictures of the items I used, as I have another base that I started with and my neighbor has the forms in his yard that I used to make the dome.

I do not have the plans for my dome, they were just formed out of my head ,as I saw items I could use in the process. I was lucky and found a Thai that had 40 adobe like red bricks. You have those so you are a step ahead of me in the process. you do not have to make a base as high as mine, I made mine high so I would not have to bend my old bones over as I used the ovens.

I will give you all the info, I can . I will try to start tomorrow, but the next day I will be in Bangkok for a family house Buddhist Blessing,

How would I start a new Topic on the forum?

Give me a few days and I will try to reconstruct how I built the oven in a picture format ,as I said " when in Thailand use what the Thais use" I will take pictures of the items I used, as I have another base that I started with and my neighbor has the forms in his yard that I used to make the dome.

I do not have the plans for my dome, they were just formed out of my head ,as I saw items I could use in the process. I was lucky and found a Thai that had 40 adobe like red bricks. You have those so you are a step ahead of me in the process. you do not have to make a base as high as mine, I made mine high so I would not have to bend my old bones over as I used the ovens.

I will give you all the info, I can . I will try to start tomorrow, but the next day I will be in Bangkok for a family house Buddhist Blessing,

How would I start a new Topic on the forum?

Yes, should probably start a new topic.

There should be a tab at the top of the "Western Food" forum page.

Can't wait to see your pictorial.

Thanks much.

You gave me an idea of how I could make a smoker! I like your fire box and pipe to the bottom of a 55 gallon steel drum I saw on an other thread or an old refrigerator I may find !

You gave me some ideas on how to do what I want. I made a smaller horno in Arizona for my aunt, using plans from an old Sunset Magazine article. That I believe I still have. but I needed an old paper 30 gallon barrel. mine could have been simple but I Could not get the innards the right size.

If you want to make one I could help you via e-mail, and I have plans on making one.

I saw some thing in your fire box ,that would make the job a lot easier if you have any more of them, It looks like you made your fire box out of red brick, not the little Thai bricks. let me know and I will do all I can to help you build one.

I also need some info from you Re:Sodium nitrate/ nitrate salt and more info on making my own bacon, ham!

So let me know if you are interested and I will e-mail you the plans.

Thanks for all of you help.

Kikoman

Yes, those are red fire bricks.

You cant see in the pic, but there is a one-brick hole I left at the bottom of the fire box for oxygen intake, that I can dampen by sliding a loose brick in front it or half filling the hole with the loose brick turned sideways. There is a metal grate that sits just above the hole level where I start the charcoals, and room to lay wood on top.

for information on curing meat, this site has a lot of resources to study:

http://home.pacbell.net/lpoli/

Read here for safety info:

http://home.pacbell.net/lpoli/page0004.htm

Here is a good one to read through:

http://www.bbqguide.com/meatsmoking.php

Yes, please email some horno plans. Thanks !!

[email protected]

Hi Kikoman

I would like the plans too....

or better yet maybe you could post them in a new thread .... It would be a great project ..... I would love one... and I'm sure many readers would like to see how you built it..

as for the fish pond .. all I can think of is ad some aeration, and some shade tree's or lily pads .... Might be best to ask in the farming forum....

S.J.C ....

Hey Kirk ...Glad to see I'm not the only one with an Ugly Smoker...... Now I want a wood fired bread oven.....

I will add some info later today, about my building of the Horno, now I wish I had done what you did in showing the step by step fabrication process.

once I find the plans I will make sure I put them on the forum or e-mail them to you. The Sunset Mag. plans are for a completely different type Horno.

But they both work the same.

Cheers

Edited by kikoman

Hey Kirk ...Glad to see I'm not the only one with an Ugly Smoker......

I wouldn't consider your smoker ugly, my friend ... actually it looks quite nice to me.

And it looks like you know what you are doing.

I bet if we took a vote, mine would win for "ugliest" as well as "most amateurishly made" ... LOL. :)

But what-the-hey, it still works. And it was super-cheap, and easy, to make.

No special materials (or skill) required. Heheh.

• 2 weeks later...

I wouldn't consider your smoker ugly, my friend ... actually it looks quite nice to me.

I bet if we took a vote, mine would win for "ugliest" as well as "most amateurishly made" ... LOL. :)

I would like some information ,if possible. How much Sodium Nitrite do you add per each kilo of pork belly in your rub.

Also what is the difference between the pink and white Sodium Nitrate. I have found it but only in the white variety.

Cheers:

Edited by kikoman

I would like some information ,if possible. How much Sodium Nitrite do you add per each kilo of pork belly in your rub.

Also what is the difference between the pink and white Sodium Nitrate. I have found it but only in the white variety.

Cheers:

It has to do with the ration of sodium nitrite to salt... back home it is at about 6% nitrite and 94% salt ... even thought it sounds like a small amount it is enough to make you really sick......if not kill you....if you use it as regular salt when you are cooking.. that is why they dye it pink so there is no mistakes....... but in Germany there is a law baning the sale of sodium nitrite in a ration of more than 0.06% Nitrite to salt ...... and at this low dose you would not be able to consume enough to have an effect.

You need to find out the ratio of the mix you have...... if it is the 0.06% white nitrite brining salt's ... you just combine the salt and pink salt weight's and replace it with the mix you have. do not add salt to the mix.....

S.J.C

Cheers:

The difference between pink and white nitrite is the addition of a coloring agent, so as to not confuse it with ordinary table salt.

USFDA guidelines specify maximum of 1-oz (28gm) per 100-lbs (45.36 kilos) of dry-cured meat product, or 200ppm (Meat Inspection Regulations, Title 9, Chapter 111, Subchapter A, Code of Federal Regulations, 1974).

So, divide according to the amount of meat you intent to process.

This is for dry cure meat only, not a brine or chopped meat.

Be careful in your measurments if you are using 100% pure nitrite, as I've seen sold here. Most recipes call for Prague Powder or Instacure "curing salts" - which are a 16:1 ratio of salt to nitrite (16 salt, 1 nitrite). If you have 100% nitrite, it would be best to mix it with un-iodized salt in the ratio above (example: 1 Tbsp nitrite mixed with 16 Tbsp un-iodized salt).

Using volume measurements should be fine for low volume work, as both salts have nearly the same density:

sodium nitrite = 2.168 g/cm3

sodium chloride (salt) = 2.165 g/cm3

However, industrial volumes are measured by weight.

If you are a first-timer or novice, read as much as you can on curing meats before attempting something where if a mistake is made, it can be a serious health hazard.

Cheers:

The difference between pink and white nitrite is the addition of a coloring agent, so as to not confuse it with ordinary table salt.

USFDA guidelines specify maximum of 1-oz (28gm) per 100-lbs (45.36 kilos) of dry-cured meat product, or 200ppm (Meat Inspection Regulations, Title 9, Chapter 111, Subchapter A, Code of Federal Regulations, 1974).Hi Chef

Be careful in your measurments if you are using 100% pure nitrite, as I've seen sold here. Most recipes call for Prague Powder or Instacure "curing salts" - which are a 16:1 ratio of salt to nitrite (16 salt, 1 nitrite). If you have 100% nitrite, it would be best to mix it with un-iodized salt in the ratio above (example: 1 Tbsp nitrite mixed with 16 Tbsp un-iodized salt).

Using volume measurements should be fine for low volume work, as both salts have nearly the same density:

If you are a first-timer or novice, read as much as you can on curing meats before attempting something where if a mistake is made, it can be a serious health hazard.

Hi Chef

Where do you get 100% pure... I didn't think you could buy it that easily.......... I use a product labeled Nitrite brining salt & it only contains 0.06% ....

I would like to find pink salt as that's what I am use't to.... but I can mix my own if I can get 100% pure.. I have a good set of digital scales down to 0.01 gram

Kikoman If I where you I would ask who you bought it from.. exactly what you have, as it could kill you if you use the wrong ration....

S.J.C

Cheers:

USFDA guidelines specify maximum of 1-oz (28gm) per 100-lbs (45.36 kilos) of dry-cured meat product, or 200ppm (Meat Inspection Regulations, Title 9, Chapter 111, Subchapter A, Code of Federal Regulations, 1974).

Thanks for the information, I will make sure of what I am using before I use it.

Cheers:

Kikoman If I where you I would ask who you bought it from.. exactly what you have, as it could kill you if you use the wrong ration....

S.J.C

I definitely plan to do that, I will look at the package for any percentage on it, as it is written in Thai, I will have my wife inquire as to its ingredients, I will just put off my bacon project till I gather more info, Thanks for your input.

Cheers:

I definitely plan to do that, I will look at the package for any percentage on it, as it is written in Thai, I will have my wife inquire as to its ingredients, I will just put off my bacon project till I gather more info, Thanks for your input.

Cheers:

Kikoman... Could you please post a picture of the packet...

S.J.C

Hi Chef

Where do you get 100% pure... I didn't think you could buy it that easily.......... I use a product labeled Nitrite brining salt & it only contains 0.06% ....

I would like to find pink salt as that's what I am use't to.... but I can mix my own if I can get 100% pure.. I have a good set of digital scales down to 0.01 gram

S.J.C

Hi SJC,

I had a tougher time finding a mixed "curing salt" similar to Prague or Instacure. I still havent found one. Last I used I brought from the States.

When I initially started looking, I had asked my wife if she knew where to get the stuff they make "naem" with. She brought home some totally cool-looking potassium nitrate -- very large and prism-like solid clear crystals - 100% pure for sure. It wasnt what I was expecting, nor my preference, but it worked in a pinch.

Then I found some 100% sodium nitrite from Pure Chemical (Thailand), but had to buy several kilos for them to even take an order. I got enough to last a lifetime now, I think. (BTW - its not listed on their website)

I made sure to get the MSDS and Spec sheets from Pure Chem, so as to be certain about what I have - and yep, it's 100% and unadulterated.

The closest thing I've seen to what you are talking about is Morton Tender Quick, which is 0.5% sodium nitrite plus 0.5% sodium nitrate - the balance being salt and sugar. You basically use it by the cupful; no need to add additional sugar or salt - they have a few recipes on the package, which is a 2-lb bag. It is not the same as Prague or Instacure, which are more concentrated at 16:1 ratio.

Edited by ChefHeat

Cheers:

S.J.C

Sorry, I can not my wife took it back to Lat Yao to get the information on it, I can do that ,when she returns.

Cheers,

Hi Chef

S.J.C

Hi SJC,

I had a tougher time finding a mixed "curing salt" similar to Prague or Instacure. I still havent found one. Last I used I brought from the States.

When I initially started looking, I had asked my wife if she knew where to get the stuff they make "naem" with. She brought home some totally cool-looking potassium nitrate -- very large and prism-like solid clear crystals - 100% pure for sure. It wasnt what I was expecting, nor my preference, but it worked in a pinch.

Then I found some 100% sodium nitrite from Pure Chemical (Thailand), but had to buy several kilos for them to even take an order. I got enough to last a lifetime now, I think. (BTW - its not listed on their website)

I made sure to get the MSDS and Spec sheets from Pure Chem, so as to be certain about what I have - and yep, it's 100% and unadulterated.

The closest thing I've seen to what you are talking about is Morton Tender Quick, which is 0.5% sodium nitrite plus 0.5% sodium nitrate - the balance being salt and sugar. You basically use it by the cupful; no need to add additional sugar or salt - they have a few recipes on the package, which is a 2-lb bag. It is not the same as Prague or Instacure, which are more concentrated at 16:1 ratio.

Hi Chef

The stuff I get is imported from Germany... I get it from the Royal food's, they sell in 1kg and 25kg bag's..... you just add your sweet component..

130thb a kg.....

Potassium nitrate... that's Salt peter Right??........

S.J.C

S.J.C

I hit a dead end again, what was sold to my wife was Potassium Nitrate (salt peter) not Sodium nitrite.

My wife has a friend that makes Thai sausage that uses salt peter in her sausage ,we have been eating that for years without any ill effects.

But I chose not to use it in my sausage making at this time. I need to read up more information on it.

Cheers:

S.J.C

I hit a dead end again, what was sold to my wife was Potassium Nitrate (salt peter) not Sodium nitrite.

My wife has a friend that makes Thai sausage that uses salt peter in her sausage ,we have been eating that for years without any ill effects.

But I chose not to use it in my sausage making at this time. I need to read up more information on it.

Cheers:

I'll PM you the Phone # of the place I get mine... they can ship it to you..

S.J.C

Hi mates:

Interesting I looked at that ad too..basically a marinade yes?

We ( the wife) have been making "bacon" by marinating thin sliced pork belly in fish sauce and a little salt sometimes ( just tossed not soaking) and leaving it in a plastic box in the fridge meat drawer till gone..been doing it for 4 years now as store bought bacon is expensive and lacks "meat" . It is very tasty when fried up crispy...perhaps wouldn't call it bacon per se but great with the wonderful Thai eggs,some fried potatoes with mango/papaya/pineapple/grapes etc for a great breakfast. Also use that rag filtered Thai coffee.. love it!

re chemicals: fish sauce does not contain MSG or any carcinogens that I can see...but who knows..

Don't expect it to compare with Canadian "Back Bacon" with some maple syrup though eh! :)

S.J.C

Cheers:

I'll PM you the Phone # of the place I get mine... they can ship it to you..

S.J.C

Thank you very much for your information! That was a great help .

Thank you:

• 2 weeks later...
Mine is a very cold place, I need to keep my beers cold! :)

Well, after some investigation it seems that a fridge would be fine... Silly me

What do you think is in this brine mix anyway?

The 2 basic requirements would be non-iodized salt (like sea salt) and sugar.

For the smoke flavoring: by reading their method, it appears they might be using smoked salt.

Then again, they may provide you with some liquid smoke... cannot determine which from the information provided.

A 3rd requirement, cure (sodium nitrite), would be needed if actually smoking in a smoker. But reading their 3 examples on their site, I cannot determine if they are using cure in their mix or not, as it appears 2 of their methods require steaming (which would not necessitate a cure, as the steam-heat would kill bacteria). Not something I am familiar with, perhaps these are English-style methods? German?? Scandinavian??

I wish some information please, (Sodium nitrite) Nitrate salt, what are the Thai names , do you know?

I am planning on DIY dry cure in the fridge, I know that after that curing process you have an end product ,Bacon. No further action needed,

I would also ask what you use in the dry cure to give it the smoked flavor?

This is my 1st attempt to cure bacon, I just need to go into Nakhon Sawan to buy the pork belly.

Thank you in advance, for any info you may provide!

Well DRY CURE is just that no staem or water , i am suprised that you all want to use what you get in store,

Dry Cure take a week in cure ( daily rotation) and takes more than just salt to get real flavor and to draw out all the blood and water , the flavor comes from the cure but you must REALLY smoke it to get REAL smoke flavor..........

You can put any meat in salt water and cure it but you get what you want like REAL Brit , Bacon from Dry cure , the real flavor take about 50 spices to get the real flavor you miss from Brit, Scandinavian, bacon .

I cure 100-500 or more KG a week and use a blend from England that the Butchers there use ( same supplier) and most add there own little twist for there area. I do the same ...............if you thing salt is the only flavor ( you are wrong) ......it is one of the 4 we can taste in the mouth.....then you are wrong ,,,,,smell has also got to be a part and salt is all you get if that is all you use........

You will find you are always happy when you make something yourself ,,,,i find i like to enjoy my free time doing other things than makeing food ,,,,,,i work so i can buy food ,,,,,,,,i play fishing , golfing, playing...........

Edited by hogheaven

• 3 weeks later...

Well at long last, I am in the process of putting the finishing touches on my smoker, I made it mostly out of Thai pipes, I am going to try it out,while it is not complete as I left room for future modifications!

1st I purchased 2 Thai open ended pipe for 120 baht each.

I also purchased 2 cement drainage pipe for 85 baht each.

Also purchased 20 cement block at 5 baht each.

post-91962-1260625105_thumb.jpg

post-91962-1260625171_thumb.jpg

post-91962-1260625213_thumb.jpg

I laid then out to follow the plan I had in mind.

When I was satisfied, I put in the foundations and cemented all in place.

post-91962-1260625507_thumb.jpg

post-91962-1260625554_thumb.jpg

post-91962-1260625590_thumb.jpg

You will notice that in imag0018, I cemented some little Thai red bricks at the inlet of the smoke pipe. This was an attempt to defuse the heat and to not get a hot spot at the top of my smoker ( hope it works)

post-91962-1260626097_thumb.jpg

post-91962-1260626163_thumb.jpg

post-91962-1260626241_thumb.jpg

post-91962-1260626063_thumb.jpg

I laid some adobe bricks over the smoke pipe ,but I did not cement it in place yet.

I added a shelf to place my bacon on.

I placed the 2nd large pipe section on top of the 1st one.

I drilled holes in the large pipe and placed iron bars to hang my meat on.

Build the top out of my old wood fence, and drill 2 vents on top to control the heat in the smoking chamber.

Drill a hole in which to place my meat thermometer, (hope that works)

This smoker was very cheap to construct

That all there was to it, I will try it out in a few days!

I am hoping it will work, I see no reason why it shouldn't work.

Will post the results later.

Cheers:

Well at long last, I am in the process of putting the finishing touches on my smoker, I made it mostly out of Thai pipes, I am going to try it out,while it is not complete as I left room for future modifications!

1st I purchased 2 Thai open ended pipe for 120 baht each.

I also purchased 2 cement drainage pipe for 85 baht each.

Also purchased 20 cement block at 5 baht each.

post-91962-1260625105_thumb.jpg

post-91962-1260625171_thumb.jpg

post-91962-1260625213_thumb.jpg

I laid then out to follow the plan I had in mind.

When I was satisfied, I put in the foundations and cemented all in place.

post-91962-1260625507_thumb.jpg

post-91962-1260625554_thumb.jpg

post-91962-1260625590_thumb.jpg

You will notice that in imag0018, I cemented some little Thai red bricks at the inlet of the smoke pipe. This was an attempt to defuse the heat and to not get a hot spot at the top of my smoker ( hope it works)

post-91962-1260626097_thumb.jpg

post-91962-1260626163_thumb.jpg

post-91962-1260626241_thumb.jpg

post-91962-1260626063_thumb.jpg

I laid some adobe bricks over the smoke pipe ,but I did not cement it in place yet.

I added a shelf to place my bacon on.

I placed the 2nd large pipe section on top of the 1st one.

I drilled holes in the large pipe and placed iron bars to hang my meat on.

Build the top out of my old wood fence, and drill 2 vents on top to control the heat in the smoking chamber.

Drill a hole in which to place my meat thermometer, (hope that works)

This smoker was very cheap to construct

That all there was to it, I will try it out in a few days!

I am hoping it will work, I see no reason why it shouldn't work.

Will post the results later.

Cheers:

Looks great Kikoman

good for doing cool smoking.... If you keep a big block of ice in the bottom you might even be able to cold smoke for a few day's just replace the ice block once or twice... cant wait to see what you are going to try first ..... I am getting ready to smoke a load of ham's for Christmas next week... it's not to late for you to try a small ham and have it for Christmas too,

I keep meaning to up load my smoked English style back bacon pic's but I just haven't got a round to it ... been getting busy at the shop gearing up for the Chrimbo rush..

Just a thought though, you might want to put a big rock on top, to keep out the Soi dog's .....

Keep up the good work

S.J.C

Edited by SlackJawChef

I smoked some catfish (Pla Douk) for my wife, used coconut husks as she requested,

they came out pretty good, did not have time to take a picture, as she served them up and we ate them.Added on one more row of block , and a cement top to the fire pit, as it was hard to keep my fire ,as I wanted it.

I am still having problems getting the Sodium Nitrite, no one would answer the phone in Bangkok ,called Pattaya talked to a lady there and placed my e-mail order and waited, no reply. my wife called Pattaya again, talked to the same lady, sent in my e-mail order for 20 kilos, still waiting that was over a week ago, as soon as I get it I will start smoking bacon and ham.

Cheers:

Is it true that frozen meat can't be used? It can only be fresh meat.... also, the stuff curing salt from "Royal.....phuket" is that ready to use? just add your sugar and other spice?

I use the stuff from Royal at the moment .... it is pre-mixed so just replace the salt portion of your recipe with it..... although I find that Royal has the worst customer service of any company I deal with .... and it is western owned and operated so there is no excuse ... many Thai run company's put them to shame for there customer service .... well Basil Fawlty would put them to shame for there customer service...... so I am sourcing new suppliers for the hard to find things... as I don't want to support Royal any more..... they are both rude and incompetent...... not appealing traits I look for in suppliers......

S.J.C

Edited by SlackJawChef

The pictures are for a good cold smoker. There is a big difference. For ham or bacon you want a cold smoker. Most smokers or so called smokers are actually smoke cookers. I don't remember the temperatures but smoke cookers actually cook the meat as it smokes it. Cold smokers are a part of the curing process.

Is it true that frozen meat can't be used? It can only be fresh meat.... also, the stuff curing salt from "Royal.....phuket" is that ready to use? just add your sugar and other spice?

I use the stuff from Royal at the moment .... it is pre-mixed so just replace the salt portion of your recipe with it..... although I find that Royal has the worst customer service of any company I deal with .... and it is western owned and operated so there is no excuse ... many Thai run company's put them to shame for there customer service .... well Basil Fawlty would put them to shame for there customer service...... so I am sourcing new suppliers for the hard to find things... as I don't want to support Royal any more..... they are both rude and incompetent...... not appealing traits I look for in suppliers......

S.J.C

My wife called the lady that answers the phone in Pattaya, and she explained to her the lack of a responds to my first order and the big time lag to my second order. She asked my wife to hang up the phone and she would trace my shipment. She called back about ten minutes later and said our order was in Nakhon Sawan and we would get it the next day and it was delivered as she stated.

Thank you for the lead, it took a while but I have two sides of bacon curing in the fridge. At long last!

Thanks Again, Kikoman:

Cheers: