Information/assistance New Regulations To Extend Stay

Yesterday I went to Immigration to extend my stay in the Kingdom and was, politely, informed that laws/regulations on extensions of stay have changed. Previously I was given year to year extensions to stay with Thai daughter (wife and daughter are Thai citizens). Today I was given a 60 day extension for a fee of 1,900 baht – the same fee as for I year. I have lived legally in Thailand for over 20 years following the law and regulations applicable.

I would appreciate advice from members who are conversant with the new law/regulation on what my options are for continuing to live in Thailand. I am British, 70 years old, legally married – wife working and daughter in 2nd year at university.

I would also appreciate all information/advice on moving to Laos, Vietnam or Cambodia – a) as a family and :) alone. Everything or anything re visa, costs, requirements, length of stay, working, Internet access, etc.

Your kind assistance will be highly appreciated. Frequently changing laws/regulations make it difficult to plan ahead, and the uncertainty is worrying.

Thanks and kindest regards,

An Oldie

Surely you asked what the changes are. What did they tell you?

The only thing I can think of is that you tried to extend to stay with your daughter with no proof of income or money in the bank. I think that now requires the same income or deposit as extending based on marriage.

The only thing I can think of is that you tried to extend to stay with your daughter with no proof of income or money in the bank. I think that now requires the same income or deposit as extending based on marriage.

We can only speculate without more information.

It could possibly be funds given the change in requirements from 25th November 2008

Section 2.18(5) of Police Order 777/2551:

In the case of a parent, one of parents must have an average annual income of not less than 40,000 baht per month or a money deposit of not less than 400,000 baht for expenses within a year.

Or possibly maybe age of daughter

Section 2.18(4) of Police Order 777/2551:

In the case of a child, adopted child or child of his/her spouse, the said person must not be married, must be living with the family, and must be less than 20 years of age

As said all we can do is guess as there have been a number of changes over the years. As your daughter seems to be close to 20 and perhaps not living at home she is probably not an option for extensions in the future.

So that leaves you two obvious choices (fyi all extensions cost 1,900 baht - even for 7 days):

a. Extend for marriage using 40k monthy income or 400k in bank account (your income/pension or account only).

b. Retirement using 65k monthly income or 800k in bank account or a combination meeting 800k amount. Again your money only.

Failing that you have option to use multi entry non immigrant O visas for 90 day stay/border run and return route.

Another option would be ED (Education) visa/extensions to study Thai 4 hours a week. That would cost about 25k per year plus 1,900 baht every 3 months.

Dear Terry,

Thanks for your comments.

Yes, I did ask and was told that my former way of extension was not allowed now. Previously there was no requirement for proof of income, personal or combined.

We can only speculate without more information.

It could possibly be funds given the change in requirements from 25th November 2008

Section 2.18(5) of Police Order 777/2551:

In the case of a parent, one of parents must have an average annual income of not less than 40,000 baht per month or a money deposit of not less than 400,000 baht for expenses within a year.

Or possibly maybe age of daughter

Section 2.18(4) of Police Order 777/2551:

In the case of a child, adopted child or child of his/her spouse, the said person must not be married, must be living with the family, and must be less than 20 years of age

Dear Thaipoon,

Many thanks for your thoughts.

Previously the question of funds never arose.

Daughter will be 20 at the end of this December, though no mention of her age was made.

If my understanding is correct, I believe the previous regulations were intended for the Thai child to "take care" of the older parent and so no income was required.

The new policy seems to have the intent that be the foreign parent is "taking care" of their Thai child and the income requirement was added.

I belive the previous allowance no longer exists and there is no longer any provision for Thai children to "Take Care" of their elderly foreign parents.

I have to say Thai visa is a godsend for updates. If not for this site I'd have happily rolled up to immi this year to extend using my wife's salary to be met with a politer Thai version of "f#ck off"

they certainly like to keep us on our toes ..dont they !!

the ever changing rules !

Are you allowed to stay is the point i guess, what happens when your extension of stay runs out ? Just wondering.

He will have to find a different basis for his permission to stay. Options were detailed in an earlier posting.

Yesterday I went to Immigration to extend my stay in the Kingdom and was, politely, informed that laws/regulations on extensions of stay have changed. Previously I was given year to year extensions to stay with Thai daughter (wife and daughter are Thai citizens). Today I was given a 60 day extension for a fee of 1,900 baht – the same fee as for I year. I have lived legally in Thailand for over 20 years following the law and regulations applicable.

I would appreciate advice from members who are conversant with the new law/regulation on what my options are for continuing to live in Thailand. I am British, 70 years old, legally married – wife working and daughter in 2nd year at university.

I would also appreciate all information/advice on moving to Laos, Vietnam or Cambodia – a) as a family and :) alone. Everything or anything re visa, costs, requirements, length of stay, working, Internet access, etc.

Your kind assistance will be highly appreciated. Frequently changing laws/regulations make it difficult to plan ahead, and the uncertainty is worrying.

Thanks and kindest regards,

An Oldie

Moving to Cambodia ? Easy as baking a cake , get a buisiness visa when going through immigration , one month later convert it to a one year visa at a local TRAVEL AGENT , no hoops , no cartwheels , you are wanted here and appreciated .There are 3 bedroom houses on the outskirts of PP renting for $300.00 a month , electric 1,000 riel per KWH , food in the markets are fresh and cheap .

I have internet in my apartment , $60.00 to instal a landline phone and $7.00 per month retal(no overseas) , ISP instalation was $100.00 , monthly fee $39.00 per month with unlimited access 7pm til 7am . Unless you do something realy stupid , you are here for life . I had a policeman come here to register me and get a copy of my passport , very polite man . Come and live a stress free life .

they certainly like to keep us on our toes ..dont they !!

the ever changing rules !

Are you allowed to stay is the point i guess, what happens when your extension of stay runs out ? Just wondering.

It's like "Move along the bus please , make room for the others ", Kleenex on request from your friendly conductor .