Installing Linux And Windows Xp On Separate Drives

Crushdepth

I'd like to learn linux (have a Mandrake 10.1 DVD), which pretty much means I need it on my desktop at home. I can't ditch windows entirely, so I'd like to have the option of running both. I'm going to buy a separate drive today for backup purposes.

I'm wondering how hard it would be to stick linux on the second drive. Any tips, tricks or nasty things to watch out for ?

Thanks.

I'd like to learn linux (have a Mandrake 10.1 DVD), which pretty much means I need it on my desktop at home. I can't ditch windows entirely, so I'd like to have the option of running both. I'm going to buy a separate drive today for backup purposes.

I'm wondering how hard it would be to stick linux on the second drive. Any tips, tricks or nasty things to watch out for ?

Thanks.

http://www.highlandsun.com/hyc/linuxboot.html

• 1 month later...

hi'

as simple as this ...

windows on the first hdd(0) and linux on the second one hdd(1) so, will be hda and hdb for linux, put the boot-loader of linux on the second disc hdb so it will be hdb1 and then at a reboot select in the bios wich hard disc to boot from.

and from the linux boot-loader you can load either windows or linux :o

don't worry for boot of windows, linux boot it alright :D

francois

hi'

as simple as this ...

windows on the first hdd(0) and linux on the second one hdd(1) so, will be hda and hdb for linux, put the boot-loader of linux on the second disc hdb so it will be hdb1 and then at a reboot select in the bios wich hard disc to boot from.

and from the linux boot-loader you can load either windows or linux :o

don't worry for boot of windows, linux boot it alright :D

francois

sorry ...

I forgot to say that you have to declare the first partition of the disc2 as active, do it via fdisk :D (the bios is not enough)

francois

In a recent conversation I had with an expert Linux user, I was advised to start with Point & Click Linux. He said it was one of *the* best learn-it-from-scratch texts he has seen on Linux. That was the third or so time the title was praised as such, so I bit this time. It also comes with a complete distribution CD [which I think is a Debian variatel] too.

If they do not have it at Kunikinoya I plan to order it through them and wait.

Here's a tip. If Linux messes up the regular Windows boot loader, and also fails to load Windows even from the Linux boot screen, then I have a tip. (Note that both things happened to me, with several mainstream Linux distributions)

Don't panic. Windows is not gone.

Insert the Windows installation CD and boot from it.

Go to where you get the option to go into the repair console.

There you can type commands. You'd want 'fixmbr' and perhaps 'fixboot'. (Type help for a list of commands)

Then see how far you can throw away your Linux CD for punishment of losing access to Windows. :o

If I try Linux again I may even physically remove my Windows disk.. I really, really don't want Linux to <deleted> it up.

Cheers,

Chanchao

Here's a tip.  If Linux messes up the regular Windows boot loader, and also fails to load Windows even from the Linux boot screen, then I have a tip. (Note that both things happened to me, with several mainstream Linux distributions)

Don't panic. Windows is not gone.

Insert the Windows installation CD and boot from it.

Go to where you get the option to go into the repair console.

There you can type commands. You'd want 'fixmbr' and perhaps 'fixboot'. (Type help for a list of commands)

Then see how far you can throw away your Linux CD for punishment of losing access to Windows. :D

If I try Linux again I may even physically remove my Windows disk.. I really, really don't want Linux to <deleted> it up.

Cheers,

Chanchao

I've also been there once before :o Was working away in the US at the time also - looked top professional announcing that my MBR had gone up its own arse.

Fixmbr done the job and Linux was never to be seen again. Not on a work PC, anyway...