Outdoor Misting Fans

Ken

handraisedsmclr2gw.gif

I've seen these outdoor cooling/misting fans being used at a number of places around Thailand. Some restaurants at service stations, also at some outdoor garden type bars (Biergarden). Seems to work really well.

I've asked around and done some internet search, but alas, I'm not finding any kind of manufacturer or distributor in Thailand. I want to "cool" a roofed area about 25 square meters (party time).

Anybody know where to find here questionsmclr6ej.gif

Edited by Ken

I believe that there were some at the entrance to Home Pro on Latphao Road last time I was there. I avoid them as they only add to humidity here in Bangkok - in a dry climate I would guess that they work much better.

Chuchok: Thanks for that link. I've e-mailed them and will follow up with a phone call. Also just found "Cool Zone" located in Chonburi. Will check them out also.

Udon: Yes, I was just at the Biergarden, Soi 7 a few days ago and the fans were working and appeared to be working well, but I couldn't read the manufacturer name on the fan and of course no one there could tell me where they came from. :o

What about all that filthy water flying around and landing in your food?.... What a perfect situation for bacteria and even viruses to spread, it seems to me. If I felt it important to cool down an outside area, I'd prefer a regular a/c over a mist...

Actually, there is a guy across the road from my house that sells them, I asked about the price, about 10k. that includes the price of the pump you need to run it.

They do work really well in the heat of summer, cool you down pretty quick but I think AC would be better. :o

The store is on Piboon Sonkram road in Nonthaburi.

Greg

For those who do not know, the cooling fans that emit a water mist do indeed work, but only if the ambient humidity is not extremely high. I've seen these things work beautifully when I lived in Florida.

The purpose of the fans is to eject this water in such a manner that the water will evaporate before reaching any surface, including a person. Evaporation (of water) is a cooling process. That is why our bodies also emit water (sweat) to cool down.

If the water is "raining" down on you, then the fans are either pumping out too much water, or the ambient humidity is too high, in which case the fans won't make a difference. (air that is saturated with water vapor, or humidity, cannot take in more water!).

Obviously, air-con is much better, but alas, more expensive since not only must you procure the air-con unit, the room must also be enclosed, and you have exhorbant electricity costs.

Actually, take that part back about closing the room... just leave all the windows/doors open, and air-con all of thailand like all the shop owners try to do. :o

This is almost analogous to trying cool a room down by opening the refrigerator!

Thanks for all the replies and info. I'll have to think a bit on Ajarn's bacteria thing. I know they seem to work well at the places I've been to as far as cooling the outside area down, but hadn't thought about what kind of water was "misting".smiley_thinking.gif

Thanks for all the replies and info.  I'll have to think a bit on Ajarn's bacteria thing.  I know they seem to work well at the places I've been to as far as cooling the outside area down, but hadn't thought about what kind of water was "misting".smiley_thinking.gif

Also remember the time of year - what works well in the lower relative humidity of the dry season is probably going to be extremely offensive in the normal high humidity most of the year in Thailand.

3 of these things were installed on the Terrace at the Sports Club a few months ago and I hate them with a passion.

The noise they make is extremely intrusive and I, too, worry about where the water comes from - or rather, more importantly, where it goes.

Patrick

jeeeze...thermodynamic processes are soooo simple (latent heat transfer from ambient heat to the mist)...why all the fuss? Like all processes it can be controlled...

You obviously do not wear glasses. :D

Can confirm they are on sale at entrance to Home Pro in the Carefour complex on Latphao Road. You have to work in the sun to avoid them. :o