Priewpan Sues Prime Minister

webfact

DISSATISFIED OVER ACTING POLICE CHIEF POST

Priewpan sues PM

By The Nation

General Priewpan Damapong has filed an administrative lawsuit accusing the prime minister of wrongful bypassing him in the appointment of acting national police chief.

The lawsuit was lodged against Abhisit Vejjajiva since October 2, Priewpan said on Thursday.

In his complaint, he contends he is the most senior police officer in the position of deputy national police chief, hence he should be named the acting chief pending the search of a new national police chief.

"I see myself as a victim of injustice since I am the senior-most deputy but have been bypassed," he said.

Abhisit named Police inspector general Patheep Tanprasert as the acting national police chief following the retirement of General Patcharawat Wongsuwan.

Priewpan said he had no comments regarding the naming of the police chief but he wanted redress his grievance for not getting the caretaker duty pending the completion of the appointment process.

When the Somchai Wongsawat government picked Patheep as the acting chief during the transition period last year, he was then the most senior officer, Priewpan said, noting at the time he was in the midst of the legal battle to resume his job as the deputy national police chief.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2009/10/08

Following the court order to restore his position, his seniority has outranked Patheep, he said.

I guess as in the UK civil service it was Buggins turn next.

Perhaps he was not as well qualified as Police inspector general Patheep Tanprasert.

Scream, stamp feet, pout, then sue.

He's just pissed off because he's related to Thaksin. Sour grapes. Tough sh!t. :)

I am not a big fan of Abhisit, but shouldn't it be his decision about an acting police chief. Now, if the country could only get a a police chief who actually acts like a real police chief!

I guess as in the UK civil service it was Buggins turn next.

Perhaps he was not as well qualified as Police inspector general Patheep Tanprasert.

He's just pissed off because he's related to Thaksin. Sour grapes. Tough sh!t. :D

So now this super member of the Thaksin //*deleted*// family believes in the Thai courts, judiciary and due process?

What's this top police general done to help hunt down and apprehend the convicted felon fugitive former PM and boss of the Family?

No government anyway has good government when seniority per se is the sole and absolute determining factor.

This guy needs a baby pacifier. Or more :)

His face is lost and his hopes at being uber-patron bashed...

So maybe he can steal the position back or at least look tough

in trying to, and not rolling over like a kitten. No chance.

It's just in Thailand he thinks he SHOULD have gotten it and so feels a loss.

Sour grapes is word up.

He should never in his right mind have imagine he could get the job.

Regardless of seniority or sincerity, if he had that.

He's just pissed off because he's related to Thaksin. Sour grapes. Tough sh!t. :D

So now this super member of the Thaksin //*deleted*// family believes in the Thai courts, judiciary and due process?

What's this top police general done to help hunt down and apprehend the convicted felon fugitive former PM and boss of the Family?

No government anyway has good government when seniority per se is the sole and absolute determining factor.

<snip>

can you back up that claim or is it just again another overemotional hyperbole and blabber by a Thaksin hater?

and because he has connection to a certain family he don't have the right to complain and seek help from the court/law.

the thaksinhate mob logic - sounds for me like advocating sippenhaft, kin liability.

can you back up that claim or is it just again another overemotional hyperbole and blabber by a Thaksin hater?

and because he has connection to a certain family he don't have the right to complain and seek help from the court/law.

the thaksinhate mob logic - sounds for me like advocating sippenhaft, kin liability.

Super member of what again, please?!? :D

Thanks but my post no longer contains that term.

I'm sure you and this reply will be corrected, as well you should.

You overlooked (or ignored) my statement that "No government anyway has good government when seniority per se is the sole and absolute determining factor."

Edited by webfact
Comment in quote deleted

Super member of what again, please?!? :)

Thanks but my post no longer contains that term.

I'm sure you and this reply will be corrected, as well you should.

yep, your post got edited and the reason for that is given.

that answers also my question if your statement was just another overemotional hyperbole and blabber by a Thaksin hater.

Priewpan was only promoted to his current rank - above the heads of other more experienced and qualified Candidates - because of his close family relationship to Thaksin, who interfered in the Police Promotion List in order to give him the Post.

The man complains about favouritism or nepotism only when it does not benefit him.

Patrick

Edited by p_brownstone

It the job automatically goes to the top man next in line, what is the point of a selection process?

Would lead one to believe that all the previous appointments haven't been vetted for more than a millisecond. Honestly, this type of behaviour from a public servant and grown man let us not forget is the absolute opitome of what is wrong with the country. It isn't as though he needs the money, the Damapong/Shinawatras and exactly short of a bob or two are they. Loss of face. Boo hoo!

Good boy Abhisit. He must be loving seeing this plonker squirm and squeal like a spoilt schoolkid.

I am not a big fan of Abhisit, but shouldn't it be his decision about an acting police chief. Now, if the country could only get a a police chief who actually acts like a real police chief!

That be a first ever, with out buying the position COME ON IT WILL NEVER HAPPEN

Oh! Oh!...... here we go again .... call out the most fiendishly savage squads from Mossad --- Interpol are just not up to the job!!! Send international kidnap units --- this fiend might do it again ....spare no expense ... send out the Mounties ..... hunt him down ....he is a felon fugitive convicted of ...... well... actually ...eh .....um....er.....not too much............. :D

Signing a document (as all Thai husbands must) acknowledging that his wife was purchasing land. He did so whilst PM. He should not have done so. (possibly)

The pedantic ravings of the few braying endlessly of the vast criminality of this conviction over what was little more than a clerical offense --- come on lads -- real crimes and corruption abound --ones in which people are being harmed ...now........ you must be able to do better than this .....

Thaksin is yesterdays news -- find something new .... please???

It is certain that someone does!!

I have always loathed the concept of promotion by seniority .... it is obviously flawed. Should the PM choose a police chief in whom he has both faith and trust?? Naturally!

Do not forget that the Democrats have already (aprox 6 months ago) ordered the wholesale transfer of 70 senior police officers to inactive :) posts. It is only reasonable that those in charge structure the force as they see fit. Their friends shall prosper -- the others can make their own arrangements.

Oh! Oh!...... here we go again .... call out the most fiendishly savage squads from Mossad --- Interpol are just not up to the job!!! Send international kidnap units --- this fiend might do it again ....spare no expense ... send out the Mounties ..... hunt him down ....he is a felon fugitive convicted of ...... well... actually ...eh .....um....er.....not too much............. :D

Signing a document (as all Thai husbands must) acknowledging that his wife was purchasing land. He did so whilst PM. He should not have done so. (possibly)

The pedantic ravings of the few braying endlessly of the vast criminality of this conviction over what was little more than a clerical offense --- come on lads -- real crimes and corruption abound --ones in which people are being harmed ...now........ you must be able to do better than this .....

A reminder that the New York Times called the Thai police the "largest criminal organization in Thailand." When Thaksin the rich went to national police headquarters he found hands out from all directions and they weren't looking to be shaken, so Thaksin handed out bags of....rice on every floor. Now it's time to undo that. Sitting in an inactive police post these days also means regularly collecting sacks labelled "rice". So I'm not crying for these public servants who are never short of rice and can buy plenty of high quality tea to go with the sticky rice.

Judging from the above post, one might recommend temper shots perhaps on a regular basis. The post has, as we used to say in the US military (and they still do), 'overwhelming firepower'. Others call it overkill. (Makes me think of "Dr. Strangelove" and how peace was their profession.)

Thaksin is not only an adult, he is a doctor of criminology and was Prime Minister when he knowingly signed a document which placed he and his wife in a clear conflict of interest (to state it politely). I'd have thought Thaksin had learned enuff about the criminal mind to be....well, shall we say more effective in his dealings than to have been caught with his **** in the sugar sack.

Color Thaksin red in more ways than one.

Edited by Publicus

I may be wrong but as I understand it either the law or precedent or both require that if the position of national police chief becomes vacant for whatever reason and an acting police chief is needed the senior deputy will be given the acting police chief job. He serves until the PM can manage to pick a permanent police chief. Abhisit has known since he took over that the old police chief was turning 60 in September of 2009 and would be forced to retire. He could have picked a new man without worries about seniority and had a seemless transfer with no acting chief needed. He dithered and did not.

NO dithering, he waded in an dealt a hard blow to entrenched interests.

They hit back and he hit back again. He has now ignored custom, but not legality

to place his man where he wants him, and slide out due to facial lose at least one impediment

to his finishing his restructuring.

If we ignore the posturing of the press with their own interests,

he seems to have made some not so subtle progress in cutting enemies off at the past.

Doing what he has so far done was not as simple as many seem to think it was.

And he has essentially restructured THE TOP, and we can hope there is some trickle down effect.

Sometimes you hack repeatedly at the body, such as at a coiled snake,

sometimes you fake at the body and lop the head off on the return swing.

This is Thai politics;

more than a few snakes and more than a few moves

needed to survive and possible thrive for a time.

They hit back and he hit back again. He has now ignored custom, but not legality

to place his man where he wants him, and slide out due to facial lose at least one impediment

he seems to have made some not so subtle progress in cutting enemies off at the past.

And he has essentially restructured THE TOP, and we can hope there is some trickle down effect.

This is Thai politics;

It may well be that this is actually happening ... one can but hope.... If correct may he have great success!!

(Publicus @ 2009-10-08 15:11:45)

Thaksin is not only an adult, he is a doctor of criminology and was Prime Minister when he knowingly signed a document haksin is not only an adult, he is a doctor of criminology and was Prime Minister when he knowingly signed a document which placed he and his wife in a clear conflict of interest (to state it politely). I'd have thought Thaksin had learned enuff about the criminal mind to be....well, shall we say more effective in his dealings than to have been caught with his **** in the sugar sack.

(to state it politely). I'd have thought Thaksin had learned enuff about the criminal mind to be....well, shall we say more effective in his dealings than to have been caught with his **** in the sugar sack.

I do not possess the omnipotent vision of some others --- i really don't know why he signed the form --- my uninformed opinion leads me to think in order of likelihood: Arrogance --- 40% ....... oversight --- 20% ..... incorrect advice ----- 20% who knows --- 20% .

Whatever the "reason" he made this mistake.......... it was only after 18 months of desperate searching by those who engineered the coup --- they came up with this ----a very weak point to "convict" him over.

After all the resources deployed to "get" him and his --- this was it!! Pretty sad !!I would have expected after all the effort invested to have had definite proof of him handing the ammunition the Oswald in the library in Dallas. :)

By the way ... his wife was not in any way involved . She simply purchased some land.

You left off Greed and a Pushy, grasping wife.

Dear I want this NOW.

Certainly to get the land he HAD to sign,

under the archaic Thai legal laws pertaining to womens rights.

And no doubt arogance at beating the hidden assets Supreme Court case.

He thought he could do what he wanted, so he just did it,

never imagining it would come back and bite his ass later.

Like kicking a soi dog and turning your back... some DO bite.

Just think back to the shocked look on Potjamin's face when she was convicted...

Neither of them imagined they could be touched. Must have been quite the reality check.

Maybe you're right ---

but there were so many other options for her to "own" the land without doing it in this manner .... It simply amazes me that she chose to hold the land in her name --- requiring that he must sign ...... etc.

Considering he was PM the likelihood that anyone could actually call him to task over such a breach of rules must have seemed an absolute impossibility --- hence my suggestion of ..... arrogance!

The rules may well have entered his mind ...... and been dismissed as not applying to him !!

"For the want of a nail the shoe was lost, for the want of ............"

Just think back to the shocked look on Potjamin's face when she was convicted...

Neither of them imagined they could be touched. Must have been quite the reality check.

I felt any shock was more that their "friends" were unable to deliver the required verdict --- whereas the "friends" of their enemies were!! As the power shifted so did the scales of justice.

Tax evasion --- certainly. Payment of tax by this family was optional... was it not?? :)

i just want to know something about this can u suggest me

Yes follow ratcatchers advice above. Much info is available here.

And from several points of view on most subjects.

some more or less rational than others of course,

use your discretion to find a truth you can believe.

And congratulations for a good first post. Welcome to the forum. :)

You don't know. Thaksin has been convicted of sedition, and lese majeste as well as corruption and supporting the banned Communist Party.

You don't know. Thaksin has been convicted of sedition, and lese majeste as well as corruption and supporting the banned Communist Party.

There IS a difference between charged with something, likely seen as guilty of something,

and actually convicted of something.

The first two can be reasons ;

to dislike, and not vote for, distrust, or avoid if possible.

The last is adjudicated in a court of law,

and enables all the remedies chosen by society to punish for it.

Not the same thing.

Thaksin has many charges, but since he refuses to show up in court,

the conviction and punishment phases are delayed.

Clerical offense... if a clerk does it inadvertently.

Not hardly that in Thaksin's case.

He knew what he was signing, and knew the extent of the laws meaning.

He ignored that and the potential penalty.

Edited by animatic

This is Thai politics;

It may well be that this is actually happening ... one can but hope.... If correct may he have great success!!

Thaksin is not only an adult, he is a doctor of criminology and was Prime Minister when he knowingly signed a document haksin is not only an adult, he is a doctor of criminology and was Prime Minister when he knowingly signed a document which placed he and his wife in a clear conflict of interest (to state it politely). I'd have thought Thaksin had learned enuff about the criminal mind to be....well, shall we say more effective in his dealings than to have been caught with his **** in the sugar sack.

(to state it politely). I'd have thought Thaksin had learned enuff about the criminal mind to be....well, shall we say more effective in his dealings than to have been caught with his **** in the sugar sack.

I do not possess the omnipotent vision of some others --- i really don't know why he signed the form --- my uninformed opinion leads me to think in order of likelihood: Arrogance --- 40% ....... oversight --- 20% ..... incorrect advice ----- 20% who knows --- 20% .

Whatever the "reason" he made this mistake.......... it was only after 18 months of desperate searching by those who engineered the coup --- they came up with this ----a very weak point to "convict" him over.

After all the resources deployed to "get" him and his --- this was it!! Pretty sad !!I would have expected after all the effort invested to have had definite proof of him handing the ammunition the Oswald in the library in Dallas. :)

By the way ... his wife was not in any way involved . She simply purchased some land.

What is wrong with seeking a legal decision on any charge that is levied against anybody.

In reality, as already pointed out by numerous posters, the numerous other charges are proceeding slowly through the judicial process.

Many Thais will tell you that there are many government servants who are holding back evidence because they fear for their own situation:

- Being revealed as part of the very vast network of corruption and collusion. And don't forget that many politicians (and others too) play an interesting and pretty nasty game of entrapping many people into their web so that they are then frightened to squeal / frightened to say no.

- The possibility (slim or whatever) that Taksin will one day return any inflict severe retribution on anybody who helped to provide evidence etc., against him. And their fears are probably not illfounded.

In regard to his wife not being guilt, Taksin was charged with abuse of power - that was the charge, it was not a charge against her, which is another matter. You might like to note that the appropriate government agency is taking action to squash the sale, for legal reasons.

It is just this sort of post that gets me a little out of sorts ..... I wonder where the poster actually obtained this impressive misinformation. I do not intend to dump on him ... if you read enough of the very unbalanced comments posted here it is quite reasonable to imagine that Thaksin has been convicted of all and every crime committed in the last 15 years. But at least I can sign off with a smile ...... :D

"Thaksin has been convicted of ..... supporting the banned Communist Party." :):D

This deserves some sort of award ..... thank you!

This is Thai politics;

After all the resources deployed to "get" him and his --- this was it!! Pretty sad !!I would have expected after all the effort invested to have had definite proof of him handing the ammunition the Oswald in the library in Dallas. :D

Al Capone went down for tax evasion :)

It all depends who's in charge...