Large Ultrasonic Cleaner

sailaway2000

I'm looking for someone or a shop that has or rents large ultra-sonic cleaners. I have a carburator (motorcycle) that need a good deep clean.

Can anyone help out with a suggestion?

Thanks

Edited by sailaway2000

I'm looking for someone or a shop that has or rents large ultra-sonic cleaners. I have a carburator (motorcycle) that need a good deep clean.

Thanks

Sorry I don't have a suggestion "other than to ask why you post the same or essentially the same question twice six minutes apart" :)

I don't fancy your chances of finding an ultrasonic cleaner, especially for hire. A lot of jewelers have small ones for cleaning rings, but they are not going to let you stick your grubby carb in there.

I would be stripping all the jets out, and taking off all the linkages, and soaking it in WD-40 or similar, with the occasional scrub with a stiff brush.

how large is large in this case? an idea of minimum rectangular dimensions so that I can ask someone I know

He said for a carb, so less than 6 inches in each dimension (depends on bike CC).

Though I think Maejo Man has a better suggestion - an ultrasonic metal cleaner will not be as good as cleaning the jets individually and scrubbing the inner body - and may even damage the floats. Not too difficult to strip them down and clean them out with a good degreasant.

how large is large in this case? an idea of minimum rectangular dimensions so that I can ask someone I know

He said for a carb, so less than 6 inches in each dimension (depends on bike CC).

Though I think Maejo Man has a better suggestion - an ultrasonic metal cleaner will not be as good as cleaning the jets individually and scrubbing the inner body - and may even damage the floats. Not too difficult to strip them down and clean them out with a good degreasant.

I beg to differ.

Simply pulling the jets scrubbing and using carb cleaner helps but rarely get out all the crap that builds up in all the airway passages over the years and causes tuning/performance issues, especially calcium and other deposits in the minute and sensitive air passages. This is particularily true for older carbs in cars and motorycles that have been poorly maintained over the years, as is ofter the case in LOS.

How do I know? I've done it many times in the US, particularily on older restoration projects or bikes that just simply weren't running right and no one seemed to be able to figure it out.

Clean Scrub Soak all you want, THEN UltraSonic clean them, in a simple water/vinegar (or CARB Cleaner) solution heated for 30 minutes, dry them out and you'll be amazed at how much additional dirt, sludge and misc. contamination comes out. You'll further be absolutely astounded at how much better your machine runs. VOILA, nearly every bit as good a factory fresh carbs at a fraction of the cost.

As for size? In my case 12"x6"x6" (30MM x 15MM x 15MM) would be ideal for dual carbs.

Thanks....

Thanks

Sorry I don't have a suggestion "other than to ask why you post the same or essentially the same question twice six minutes apart" :)

Other than the fact that I posted it in the Motorcycle Forum once and in the CM Forum once, different audiances, different interests.

As for size? In my case 12"x6"x6" (30MM x 15MM x 15MM) would be ideal for dual carbs.

Try brushing up the maths when brushing up the carbys :)

Maejo Man--

Ahhh, indeed you are correct, being a Yank the metric system sometimes befuddles me. Yes, the metrics should be 304.8 x 152.4 x 152.4mm.

And....while you are correct that the 'basic' soak, brush (gently) and blow out method will get you, maybe, 80% of the way there, the final final be all to get EVERYTHING clean, is a solid UltraSonic bath for up to 4 hours for a badly abused carb. You will be amazed what it does for both immediate performance and future maintenance. Guaranteed!!!!

Maybe I should just buy a proper unit and go into business.......ha!!!!

should be 304.8 x 152.4 x 152.4mm.

And....while you are correct that the 'basic' soak, brush (gently) and blow out method will get you, maybe, 80% of the way there, the final final be all to get EVERYTHING clean, is a solid UltraSonic bath for up to 4 hours for a badly abused carb. You will be amazed what it does for both immediate performance and future maintenance. Guaranteed!!!!

Possibly because I have never let a carby get to that state before, that I have never needed ultrasonics. Two days before a meeting, the twin HS4-SU's got stripped down and cleaned ready, which was about once a fortnight. Apart from that when I was racing, ultrasonic cleaning have not been invented :) (I'm that old)

My current machine runs a Webber 43 DCOE twin choke side draught, and next stripdown I will try ultrasonics on it, which may solve the over aspirating problem. Always open to new ideas :D

should be 304.8 x 152.4 x 152.4mm.

Possibly because I have never let a carby get to that state before, that I have never needed ultrasonics. Two days before a meeting, the twin HS4-SU's got stripped down and cleaned ready, which was about once a fortnight. Apart from that when I was racing, ultrasonic cleaning have not been invented :) (I'm that old)

My current machine runs a Webber 43 DCOE twin choke side draught, and next stripdown I will try ultrasonics on it, which may solve the over aspirating problem. Always open to new ideas :D

MJ Man,

Unlike the majority of owners of naturally aspirated (carby) engines, you clearly take great pride and time in keeping your gear properly maintained. I commend you for that, few do, care, or know how.

As for whether UltraSonic cleaning would solve the over aspirating problem you currently have, maybe, maybe not. But if you've tried everything else, it's certainly worth a try.

GOOGLE UTRASONIC CARB CLEANING. There are some very good examples of what this process can do for parts and carbs.

I usually give the carbs a good 24 soak in vinegar to dissolve the calcium deposits and use a 1:3 vinegar to water ratio in the sonic cleaning to get the rest and then carb cleaner or WD40 and compressed air to get the water fully removed.

• 3 weeks later...

Bought a jollopy for a run about 6 months ago. Run like a dog, so I did the usual: electrical service, oil change, fixed the broken choke cable (OK that one's not so usual) and changed oil/fuel/air filters. Gave it a 'by ear' tune. Still was starting badly and cutting out at low revs. Fuel pump seemed fine when pipe disconnected, so turn to carb. I take off the airbox and I could saee lumps of grit in the carbs - I mean lumps, the size of breadcrumbs.

Dismantle, clean and bathe in carb cleaner. I also replaced needle valve, main jet (crap state), and usual stuff in a carb rebuild kit. The jets inside were black and one brass fitting (screw with a small hole in it - one of two in the main chamber) was so badly chewed up that I had to leave it in situ as I couldn't get it out. The spark plugs were so old that the pins (on top) had word away - not melted, but worn down. Looked like they had never been changed.

Still not perfect, but doesn't take 10 minutes to start now and rarely cuts out anymore - there are still problems that I need to sort (most;y electrical), but I'll do it as I get chance.

People here really do not take even basic care of their cars - like electrical service - oil change etc - sheesh

Don't know if available in LOS but we use a 20 litre metal pail filled with carb cleaner. Strip carb, put in enclosed basket, immerse in cleaner, wait 24 hours, remove and blow dry w/compressed air. Many brands avbl in N America - Gunk being one of the more well-known. I like the vinegar idea for the calcium deposits. Will have to give it a try.

<snip>

People here really do not take even basic care of their cars - like electrical service - oil change etc - sheesh

Hey Wolf, don't you know everything is measured in "beers" here? It is the currency of choice.

Who in their right mind would spend 3 or 4 beers to change their oil or clean a carb? :)

Edited by ThailandLovr

• 10 months later...
  • 11 months later...

Ultimately I purchased and had a friend hand deliver a suitable Ultra-Sonic cleaner from the USA.

I broke down the carbs, removed all rubber and plastic and with bare carbs I put them in the Cleaner after cleaning the outside with carb cleaner as best I could.

I used water with Mr. Magic cleaner solution. Heated the water to 80C and turned on the cleaner. After three 12 minute cycles, I changed the water (it was filthy) and ran the same 3 cycles again. Finally, I changed the water one more time and ran two additional cycles. Finally, on the final cycle, there were no more rivers of crap flowing from any air/fuel passages.

This way not as 'deep' or thorough a clean as I will do next time (micro-drills and main emulsifier removal). However, I was very pleasantly surprised. The Idle, Balance and transition from low to high speed function over 5k was vastly improved. It ran like a scalded bat.

These were pair of 40 year old Keihin cabs on a 400cc bike with a 20+ years history in Thailand.