Need Advice Of Buying Computers For Business Use

livinthailandos

I am hoping some of you out there can help me. During december I will be buying 3 windows 7 editions from singapore and then buying 3 desktop computers in thailand. I will pretty much install windows 7 on my own what I need help on is regarding

whats a good brand to get lately ( acer, compaq, dell, vizio, etc )

In terms of price will 25,000 - 30,000 per computer get me a descent desktop: requirements for desktop

CPU: either Intel or AMD 2.0 Ghz or higher, needs to handle multitasking very well, as 1 computer is the server for the software and the other 2 are clients. Plus handling my business software just for note ( it uses sql server & .net framework ), internet browser, anti virus. and using word or excel at the same time. Currently I've got a intel pentium 4, but it worthless on multi tasking. What Intel or Amd should I be looking at that is up to the job of handling multitasking.

RAM: minimum of 2 GB

Hard Drive: No HDD just a regular: Minimum 150 GB and on

CD / DVD Drive nothing fancy

USB ports: 3 minimum at least

Video card: just basic will do fine.

also buy from tesco or big C. Live on samui no luck in buying from IT Mall or Power Buy. appreciate any help or advice you guys can offer

Don't buy a branded computer. The performance you get for the price is really dreadful in most cases. It is very simple to buy the parts and put together a decent computer yourself. For a small fee, most shops will put it together for you if you don't feel up to it. (Banana IT for example). Get some price lists and do a few sums. Everything is very cheap these days. Add up:

Case 1000

Power Supply 450

Keyboard 220

Optical Mouse 90

Motherboard with integrated graphics 1700

CPU E3200 1700

RAM 2GB 1150

Hard Disk Sata WD 250GB 1500

LG DVD Sata drive 790

20" Samsung 2042 Monitor 4300

Total 12900

USB wireless adapter if needed (look at Tenda)

Speakers if needed (usually not for business).

I just built some computers for a local school. Basic motherboard/graphics 1700 baht + Intel E3200 processor, 2GB RAM, decent hard disk, DVD drive, 20" widescreen LCD monitor, in a reasonably good case - very fast and just over 12,000 baht after a discount for buying several. A somewhat better motherboard and a better graphics card and/or monitor will increase the price, but is not at all necessary in a business environment. Since you don't need the blinding speeds and graphic cards needed for the latest games, you don't have to buy cutting-edge hardware.

ASUS/Gigabyte/Intel motherboards are good. I prefer Gigabyte with dual BIOS for stability. Ask for help from someone knowledgeable in the shops - you should be able to find someone suitable with a few questions. The new 2.4GHz E3200 processor is generally capable of running reliably at around 3.5GHz or higher. Performance per buck is amazing for about 1700 baht.

Or use E4700 or higher but the actual speed is not that much greater. It will also clock at 3.5GHz.

A quad core processor is a little better at multitasking but the difference is much less than just using a faster dual core processor. And it's expensive. All of these processors are **streets** faster than your old P4. Any of them should be suitable for your needs, which sound pretty basic actually.

Whichever path you choose, make it yourself and you will generally get a better product. You will have performance far exceeding many branded PC's for well under half the price. And if any part of it fails - it's a simple matter to replace it without being held to ransom. You can generally not do that with OEM brands.

A tip - Do make sure you run off UPS if power outages are a problem where you live.

Edited by stolidfeline

It just sank in about Samui, and buying in Tesco/Big C. All of the PC's sold by Tesco/Carrefours/Big C are usually quite poor value. Much better to make a trip to the mainland if there is any IT store around. I left off the motherboard details - ASUS P5KPL-AM.

Edited by stolidfeline

Good advice - all the major components are like IBM INTEL AMD etc - all the tin is well .. tin and dont matter.

Save some more and go Linux - think of all the headaches/virus/rootkits/etc you wont have, plus all your machines will

be working for you and not the AV companies.

The guys who build your machines will gladly install XP for you - dont even think M$ Vista/7 now ...

I have been building or better say assembling business computers and high end game machines some years now and had in the last two years a high failure rate for Asus main boards with integrated video. I switched from Asus to Gigabyte and buy main boards without integrated video. It is more expensive but offer better performance and less trouble.

It's worth the expense because returned main boards from the distributors DCom or Synnex in the warranty period are refurbished boards with usually more trouble.

I have been building or better say assembling business computers and high end game machines some years now and had in the last two years a high failure rate for Asus main boards with integrated video. I switched from Asus to Gigabyte and buy main boards without integrated video. It is more expensive but offer better performance and less trouble.

It's worth the expense because returned main boards from the distributors DCom or Synnex in the warranty period are refurbished boards with usually more trouble.

Hmmmm ... ''high end game machines'' with motherboards with integrated video?

lol, no of course not, only office computers with integrated video on board.

Never had a problem with the high end main boards but a lot of trouble with the cheap boards from Asus.

It's ideal for high-end games from Asiasoft, like Atlantica Online, Cabal Online and other intense graphics games known from high-end Thai internet cafees :)

Can you find out whether Acer has a service center on Samui?

If they do and you really want brand names they would be the ones to go for, as they have a pretty good record warranty wise.

A top of the line Acer with quad core Intel or AMD CPU will set you back in the low 20K Baht.

Assembly of the brand names is often better then in the little shops, the case is of much better quality (no screw drive bays etc), feels lot heavier and solid, proper power supply instead of the Chinese junk etc...

Thanks so far for the advice although to habitat I use linux at home already, the software I use at work won't work with WINE, I know I've tried already. beyond that I've got 2 different receipt printers that I have not seen linux support yet. Linux is good in a lot of ways but there's a lot of software that either won't work with WINE or linux in general and this is due in part to the software companies. Trust me If it wasn't a matter of my software I use I would have already ditched windows and just run linux. also lets be honest XP is old 8 years already. Reformatting, reinstall, installing XP then updating is a pain in the butt. I am currently playing with windows 7 RC. this is a much better improvement over vista.

It is not necessary to update XP SP2/? - that is where all the problems occur. Update AV only.

Linux drivers are everywhere - even for all our hi-end Sony Vaio NB.

A M$ network is spooky at best, a disaster at worst.

Maybe use one dedicated M$ machine for the bespoke software.

We lose a M$ machine every 2 weeks. Linux - never.

It is not necessary to update XP SP2/? - that is where all the problems occur. Update AV only.

So by not updating your Windows you avoid problems? That's a new one I must say, I thought they actually did make the security updates for a reason :)

Why is it that every post about computers results in the pro-Linux nerd brigade launching an attack on Windows? The OP has indicated his reasons for using Windows 7. Windows 7 is MASSIVELY stable. His question was about hardware. Not Linux.

Edited by stolidfeline