Electric

Trickcyclist

Recently my Toshiba fridge started to give out mild electric shock when touched.

Since you mention 'recently' I guess there was no problem in the past.

Most modern fridges no longer require grounding.

If it is a fridge which came with a 2-pin plug and no ground cable I suggest you have a look behind it and see if by chance some cable got to close to the hot compressor and the insulation has been compromised!.

opalhort

If you have the usual 2 pin plug and unplugged the fridge recent try the plug the other way round.

Yes this may help, but if it is a modern fridge this should not make any difference.

Here are some other things to look at:

Take out the light bulb and see if there is moisture or some green residue on the contacts inside the socket, if yes clean it.

If the door switches appear to be more tight than they used to be there could be contamination inside.

Look behind and under the fridge and see if you have any "fried" Lizard or other bugs somewhere on exposed contacts.

All of the above could cause current to leak and cause the symptoms you described.

opalhort

Check the cable as "opalhort" suggests. If you have the usual 2 pin plug and unplugged the fridge recent try the plug the other way round.

correct me if im wrong but i dont think that will make any difference

unless its double insulated, in which the op shouldnt have recieved any shocks

correct me if im wrong but i dont think that will make any difference unless its double insulated, in which the op shouldnt have recieved any shocks

Most fridges are indeed double insulated and so do not normally have an earth connection. If the OP is touching a plastic part of the fridge and is getting a real electric shock something is very wrong.

I would guess there might be some element of static electric shock depending on the enviroment - mostly the air inThailand is too humid to allow static to build up.

If the OP is getting a real 220 volt shock (or even 110 volt from his hand [etc.] providing the earth return via the floor from a floating section of the fridge body work) it would be wise to have the fridge's electrical safety tested.

If nothing else - unplug the fridge and inspect it for rodent damage or insect infestation as both can affect electric applicances like this.

POI. Fridges do tend to be 'leaky' in electrical terms and so poweringthem via RCD (Earth Leakage Protection devices etc.) is not wise as they will tend to trip and leave you will an interesting box of warm molds when you come home.

POI. Fridges do tend to be 'leaky' in electrical terms and so poweringthem via RCD (Earth Leakage Protection devices etc.) is not wise as they will tend to trip and leave you will an interesting box of warm molds when you come home.

Having returned to a tripped freezer in KL I can safely say that 'molds' will be the least of your worries, talk about opening a can of worms and I won't even mention the aroma :)

I agree, no ground fault protection (or a 100mA trip as opposed to the regular 30mA) for fridge and freezer.

correct me if im wrong but i dont think that will make any difference unless its double insulated, in which the op shouldnt have recieved any shocks

Most fridges are indeed double insulated and so do not normally have an earth connection. If the OP is touching a plastic part of the fridge and is getting a real electric shock something is very wrong.

I would guess there might be some element of static electric shock depending on the enviroment - mostly the air inThailand is too humid to allow static to build up.

If the OP is getting a real 220 volt shock (or even 110 volt from his hand [etc.] providing the earth return via the floor from a floating section of the fridge body work) it would be wise to have the fridge's electrical safety tested.

If nothing else - unplug the fridge and inspect it for rodent damage or insect infestation as both can affect electric applicances like this.

My Sanyo "Fresh Cool" is certainly not double insulated. Mind you, it is not new.

There's an easy way to tell if your fridge is double insulated...the power cable will be double insulated. If you have the typical Thai "speaker wire" power cable, I'll bet my left knacker that your fridge is not double insulated.

As a general rule, all metal clad appliances are not double insulated & should be correctly earthed.

Edited by elkangorito