What Do You Miss About Home, Or Don't?

Damien

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

When I am in Thailand the ONLY thing that I miss [except family/friends] is taking a deep breath on a cold spring morning and getting that pure clean almost pain at the bottom of my lungs. :o

Some mornings the air is so clear it’s almost like wine. :D

I miss my Mum and Dad

Christmas

Fray Bentos Steak and Ale Pies

Stella/Kronenberg

The freinds I left behind

The smell of newly mown grass

Fish and Chips

Watching my favoute Football team play (they are too lowly to be on T.V. here)

Food shopping in M&S

Thats all I miss, like most other posters the things aI Don't miss is Much much longer so I won't even go there. :o

Yes this thread has been done before but in a less international manner. Remember it saying what do you miss about the UK ?

Clearly the topic starter should know better now that not all TV members are Brits. :o

Edited by DJ_Tom

Interesting......... apart from a mention of "5 English-language newspapers" and theatre, just about everybody talks about food or a place (and loved ones, sure).

Just wondering, how many miss or try to keep up with day-to-day news/current affairs from their respective homes? Or are you delighted not to know the latest doings/mis-doings of Blair/Bush/Chirac/Schroeder etc? Do you make a point of watching or not watching BBC World/CNN/TV5 etc? Do you buy a newspaper (i.e. one from your home country as opposed to Bangkok Post etc) - or maybe read one online?

My instinct is that most will take the view that most of those goings-on are nothing to do with them any more............... and I'm not making any judgements about that! :o

Am I right?

Edited by Steve2UK

my 2 cents worth:

I miss REAL mountains - with snow on them. Streams and rivers with clear water in them and real hiking. Some inlaws took us to see a "waterfall" one year and it was almost dry. You gotta have a sense of humor sometimes.

I don't miss the cold rain, American liberal politics or Christmas shopping. But I do miss the Christmas get togethers with family and friends.

Bryan

There's a lot of foodstuff people mention here that they miss, that you can actually pick up, at least in Bangkok or Pattaya...

Mexican food - you can get Taco shells, chilli beans, ground beef, etc. even the liquid cheese in Bangkok. (so you have to cook it yourself... if nothing else, that will stop you eating it every day.) Upstairs at the emporium, or at Villa, and probably lots of other places...

Jockstar, as a fellow scot, you should be aware that you can get Square sausage, black pudding (slices just), and decent bacon from Yorkies (in Jomtien). Either from the butchers shop itself, or from Villa supermarket in Bangkok. They don't seem to have scotch pies, but the cornish pasties are quite nice, and have almost as much pepper in them.

and you can get soft licorice, in a couple of different flavours. Ok it's not Twizzlers, but it's OK.

What I don't miss:

Living in California and paying all the local, city, county, state AND Federal taxes which usually add up to 110% of what you make. Housing costs in California. Liberals in mass (California, Wash DC) (note: I moved to Texas to get free of high housing costs and state tax in California), the ALCU and other splinter groups, minorities changing laws the majority put in place for good reason, high utility bills,

high restaurant prices, American politics in general.

JMHO, don't kill the messenger;

Ken Bower

I have heard that only "steers and queers live in Texas." :o

Just kidding actually I agree with you.

From "the land of friuts and nuts."

Yhe longest stay in BKK was three months at a stretch.

What I missed most was clean air, nearly perfect year round weather and atleast a little bit of peace and quiet... :D

I miss good mexican food (santa cruz california) and High quality american beef(porterhouse cut). The steaks available here, even imported, just don't do it for me.I guess that would be all I miss. Oh yeah, I miss the pizza in New york city,growing up I lived off of it, but now....pizza is a lost dream(tom yam gung pizza? Forgetaboutit!!)

cheers,

bradda

I miss good mexican food (santa cruz california) and High quality american beef(porterhouse cut). The steaks available here, even imported, just don't do it for me.I guess that would be all I miss. Oh yeah, I miss the pizza in New york city,growing up I lived off of it, but now....pizza is a lost dream(tom yam gung pizza? Forgetaboutit!!)

cheers,

bradda

Remember Ray's pizza joints.

A huge slice for a buck and a quarter in the early 80's

Former New Yorker... :o

When in Canada I miss:

-Street stall food

-Outdoor markets everywhere

-Fighting my way through superhighway traffic.

-Cheap clothes, food, shoes, etc...

--Outdoor Bars and night bazzars

-People who smile just because

cv

Should try Montreal in the summer.... :o

Less potheads but as many junkies/beggers, though....

As for hockey, bet you'd be missing it as well should u be in Canada now... :D

Miss good old Bangkok with kind public bus drivers and low cost of living.

Miss cheap quality food (including pizzas, potatoes, baked goods, Holy Cow's food etc) and bulk soap, and crisp clean air in Eugene.

Miss snow in Illinois.

Miss all sorts of wonders and goods in India.

Miss all good people, all over.....

Interesting......... apart from a mention of "5 English-language newspapers" and theatre, just about everybody talks about food or a place (and loved ones, sure).

Just wondering, how many miss or try to keep up with day-to-day news/current affairs from their respective homes? Or are you delighted not to know the latest doings/mis-doings of Blair/Bush/Chirac/Schroeder etc? Do you make a point of watching or not watching BBC World/CNN/TV5 etc? Do you buy a newspaper (i.e. one from your home country as opposed to Bangkok Post etc) - or maybe read one online?

My instinct is that most will take the view that most of those goings-on are nothing to do with them any more............... and I'm not making any judgements about that!  :o

Am I right?

In my case you're pretty spot on... unless it's "world-breaking news", I am more interested in what happens here in Thailand. It has been over 2 years since I bought a newspaper... and I rarely watch the world news on TV.

That's not to say that I want to be totally insulated from the external world, but I do like to have the option of being able to find out what's happening or not.

Do I miss it? No way. :D

north beach pizza, top dog, taco bell, and the tv series, the enterprise.

That wouldn't be Golden Boy pizza (Green St.), would it?

there are many north beach pizzas in the bay area. the one I used to go to all the time is on grant and union. do a www.mapquest.com to get all the locations.

hmmm... green boy pizza must be a new place. I notice on mapquest that it is next to cafe trieste. ..I don't recall a green boy pizza around there back when I lived in the bay area.

my. how time flies.....

555555555555  curly whirly's............  :D

Miss a good pint of strong ale and the one of a good deep breath of clean air too.

I miss good "bacon "and going down the pub with my mates' ,it's not the same in Thailand , we don't have pubs in Romklao ,and my poor little old mummy to . :o

There's a lot of foodstuff people mention here that they miss, that you can actually pick up, at least in Bangkok or Pattaya...

Mexican food - you can get Taco shells, chilli beans, ground beef, etc. even the liquid cheese in Bangkok. (so you have to cook it yourself... if nothing else, that will stop you eating it every day.) Upstairs at the emporium, or at Villa, and probably lots of other places...

Jockstar, as a fellow scot, you should be aware that you can get Square sausage, black pudding (slices just), and decent bacon from Yorkies (in Jomtien). Either from the butchers shop itself, or from Villa supermarket in Bangkok. They don't seem to have scotch pies, but the cornish pasties are quite nice, and have almost as much pepper in them.

and you can get soft licorice, in a couple of different flavours. Ok it's not Twizzlers, but it's OK.

Thanks bkkmike. I dont have Villa near me. But might make a mission of going to Sukhumvit sometime. Just to see if i can get these. What sort of quality and prices are we talking?

for me,

My two sons.

My hotel, customers and friends.

COOPERS PALE ALE.

The crows and port power derby.

Liquorice and HARD liquorice.

1kg steak at Gaucho's.

Ying Chow oh for some salt and pepper prawns.

My ex :D ??

5am closing except recovery shutting at 12noon. :o God, they were long drinking nights.

Pokies.

My motorised skateboard. Can't wait to bring it back.

I don't miss

My ex business partner (scum)

Expensive cigs and booze.

Fresh air. LOL. after cigs. Der....

More of both I'm sure.

Carl