What Will Some Farangs Do To Stay Here ?

kevin99

Why are so many farangs so desperate to stay and live in Thailand ? I see so many western people willing to do anthing to stay here, but why do they want to stay so much. Thailand is no where near good as it once was . Yes beaches are nice but go about 1 min walking inland from the beach and most of the raods are very messy with quite alot of rubbish all over the place! Ok the Local thai people can be friendly for tourists... but live here and you soon find out that farangs are treated as second class people by Thais. ( anyone one who says other wise even hasnt lived here along time or is just kidding themselfs) Alot of Thai people are racist some more than others, and many Thai people just dont like farangs full stop. So why do some people want to stay so bad ? I only stay here becuase,

for 1 - I make quite good money from being based here throw I dont work in Thailand and wouldn't like to. But for - 2 and most important i have a child here.

Apart from the second point i would not be here. Can anyone tell me really why so many farangs are so desperate to stay here ? I am thinking most of them are becuase of they have a thai lady. I dont understand about that so much to... i have had before hence i have a child. But i cpuld never get my head around the money situation about supporting her family and giving money. Thats why i ended that. We are still good friend, but i only support my child and no one else. So if anyone can tell me also about why i see so many farang guys supporting a thai wife ( her mum and dad ) her children ( from her ex thai husbend ) Are these guys for real or do they really work a charity i dont no about ! ?

Anyway send some message and lets find out about these things

Why are so many farangs so desperate to stay and live in Thailand ? I see so many western people willing to do anthing to stay here, but why do they want to stay so much. Thailand is no where near good as it once was . Yes beaches are nice but go about 1 min walking inland from the beach and most of the raods are very messy with quite alot of rubbish all over the place! Ok the Local thai people can be friendly for tourists... but live here and you soon find out that farangs are treated as second class people by Thais. ( anyone one who says other wise even hasnt lived here along time or is just kidding themselfs) Alot of Thai people are racist some more than others, and many Thai people just dont like farangs full stop. So why do some people want to stay so bad ? I only stay here becuase,

for 1 - I make quite good money from being based here throw I dont work in Thailand and wouldn't like to. But for - 2 and most important i have a child here.

Apart from the second point i would not be here. Can anyone tell me really why so many farangs are so desperate to stay here ? I am thinking most of them are becuase of they have a thai lady. I dont understand about that so much to... i have had before hence i have a child. But i cpuld never get my head around the money situation about supporting her family and giving money. Thats why i ended that. We are still good friend, but i only support my child and no one else. So if anyone can tell me also about why i see so many farang guys supporting a thai wife ( her mum and dad ) her children ( from her ex thai husbend ) Are these guys for real or do they really work a charity i dont no about ! ?

The topic is not purely Samui related, moved to general.

Rooo.

That is also something that has intrigued me, especially when people resort to crime or overstaying.

I live here and don't quite know why I love it so much (apart from the mrs etc..), but I only have to spend 10 mins in Heathrow airport arrivals to desperately want to come back.

There is something about the country that drives people to fall in love with it, I aint quite put my finger on it.

I think this could be compared to 'what is the meaning of life'

That's neither my experience nor observation. The farang I know may support a stepchild, but not extended family. The Thais we know aren't racist. Nationalistic, sheltered; but not racist.

We're here for a mix of reasons, numerous and often stated. Nothing wrong with having a good Thai lady, if you like ladies.

Everyones situation is different...Its something that can`t be generalized....Everyones got there own reasons why they want or have to stay here....Its up to them what they do to have to stay here....

You talk very negative about Thai people....its not that Thai people don`t like like farangs....they just don`t like you :)

That's neither my experience nor observation. The farang I know may support a stepchild, but not extended family. The Thais we know aren't racist. Nationalistic, sheltered; but not racist.

We're here for a mix of reasons, numerous and often stated. Nothing wrong with having a good Thai lady, if you like ladies.

Hi, I am sorry my friend. But if say things like ' the thais we know aren't racist. Nationalistic, sheltered. = you are kidding your self they are not recist. I have 2 very good half thai / farang friends who i had know from school back in the USA well before i came to thailand. I have asked about how they feel when they come back to thailand to visit there thai half of the family.... they say in there own words.. this is 2 people saying to them who are half thai they both hold thai passport. there words are thai people in genral are racist. They have encounted racsim and they are half thai. What chance do farangs have ? you are kidding your self. Thai people when with other thai people ( mainly the thai people who work with tourists/farangs ) say very very bad and nasty things about farangs.

You've made some broad sweeping statements - those about Thai's not liking ex-pats and been racist is no more true then it can be said about ex-pats who don't like Thai's or who are racist towards them (?).

Your statement regards not been able to get your head around the money and support situation is your experience(s) - not that everyone has financial problems with their parents-in-law i.e. I have never had to give money to my wife or her family.

Actualy, far from been accurate statments that can be generalised about Thailand and it's people, they are statements about your experience. Yes, there are lots of guys who feel like you, but for everyone one who has these experiences, there is an ex-pat who can cite positive experience in inter-acting and living with Thai's iin Thailand.

The absolute classic for me was a fellow Brit I met who couldn't stay with his Thai "wife" because she was still married to her Thai husband so he married her younger sister so he could stay in LOS. He then went on to tell me he used to serve on the board of British Airways. It was at that point I installed a personal "westerner interaction filter" in my head. It's worked fine so far....

If you are looked down on and treated like a second class person, then you must have done something to deserve that treatment. I have lived in a small village for about five years and always get warm smiles from neighbors and locals. These people are generous to a fault.

The biggest problem I see in Thailand is the increasingly open corruption by the police. That opinion is not only my perception but the local people's opinion also.

You might as well ask a Pakistani or Indian why he stays in Britain. The majority of Thais I come across are either friendly enough or completely indifferent to westerners. I've only ever met one Thai who openly told me he didn''t like westerners and he was a card playing, whiskey hitting, wife abusing police sergeant with the personality and brain of the average house brick so his opinion mattered about as much to me as dogshit on my shoes.