Breaking News: Earth Quake! New Tsunami?

The_Moog

Sky news reports Thailand has issued a tsunami warning 0017 hrs 29Mar05

NL

If you look at the maps on CNN and the BBC, the epicentre is the other side of Sumatra, with Sumatra shielding Thailand and Malaysia from any tsunami. But Sumatra could be in for ###### again.

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dozens Reported Dead in Indonesia After Quake

JAKARTA (Reuters) - A massive earthquake killed dozens of people and destroyed hundreds of homes in the main town on Indonesia's Nias island Monday evening, a local government official told Metro TV.

"I can guarantee that dozens have died," Agus Mendrofa, the deputy mayor of Gunungsitoli town, said.

The massive 8.2 magnitude quake struck off the coast of Sumatra Monday close to where a quake triggered a tsunami that left nearly 300,000 people dead or missing across Asia, residents and officials said.

The latest quake had the potential to cause a "widely destructive tsunami" and authorities should take "immediate action," including evacuating coastlines within 600 miles of the epicenter, the Pacific tsunami warning center said.

One official said any possible tsunami could be headed toward the Indian Ocean island of Mauritius.

Indonesia's Metro TV quoted a resident on the island of Nias, off western Sumatra, as saying buildings there were damaged.

"Things are quite bad right now," the resident said. "There is much damage. People are running in panic. Many people are also trapped."

He did not elaborate on what he meant by people were "trapped."

Tens of thousands of people across northern and western Sumatra fled their homes and drove or ran to higher ground, TV and residents said.

Thailand urged people living along parts of its west coast, including tourists on the resort island of Phuket, to evacuate while Malaysia issued a warning to coastal residents.

"About 3,000 to 4,000 tourists and locals have been evacuated from Patong and Kamala beaches to higher places," Phuket deputy governor Wichai Buapradit told Reuters.

"We've told them to take their valuable belongings and to go to higher places," he added.

Authorities in India's Andaman and Nicobar islands, north of the epicenter, issued a preliminary tsunami warning as did the federal government in New Delhi. Sirens were ringing in the eastern Sri Lankan town of Trincomalee and many coastal areas were evacuated, residents said.

NO REPORTS OF TSUNAMI

Indonesia's information minister said there were no reports of a tsunami along the coast.

"There is no report of any damage," the Andaman and Nicobar islands' Lieutenant-Governor Ram Kapse told Reuters by telephone. "We have issued an initial warning. If there is any problem, we will evacuate."

A spokesman for the U.S. Geological Survey told Reuters the quake struck 125 miles west northwest of Sibolga, Sumatra or 880 miles northwest of the Indonesian capital of Jakarta at 1609 GMT, close to where the 9.0 magnitude quake struck in December.

It was felt as far away as Singapore and the Malaysian coastal city of Penang, jolting people out of their beds just past midnight.

"It felt stronger than on Dec. 26," said Arumugam Gopal, a resident of Penang.

A telephone operator in the Sumatran city of Medan said: "It was very strong. We all ran out of the building."

An NGO official in Banda Aceh, the town worst hit by the Dec. 26 tsunami, sent out a telephone message saying thousands of people fled their homes and headed for higher ground after feeling what he described as "a very ###### big earthquake."

U.S. Geological Survey spokesman Don Blakeman said Monday's quake was considered a "great earthquake" because it was larger than a magnitude 8. He said it was an aftershock from December's temblor but was a "very serious earthquake in its own right."

But the Pacific Tsunami Warning Center said the quake had the "potential to generate a widely destructive tsunami in the ocean or seas near the earthquake."

"Authorities can assume the danger has passed if no tsunami waves are observed in the region near the epicenter within three hours of the earthquake," it added.

If you look at the maps on CNN and the BBC, the epicentre is the other side of Sumatra, with Sumatra shielding Thailand and Malaysia from any tsunami. But Sumatra could be in for ###### again.

Wot? Mentioning infernal regions is a crime now, is it?

TSUNAMI PANIC: Sumatra rocked by 8.2 quake

Published on March 29, 2005 The NATION

Phuket and Hat Yai felt the ‘Great Quake’; fresh tsunami feared

An 8.2 magnitude earthquake struck off the coast of Sumatra last night which was felt in Phuket, Hat Yai as well as some highrises in Bangkok.

A US Geological Survey spokeswoman told Reuters the quake struck 125 miles west northwest off Sibolga, Sumatra or 880 miles northwest of the Indonesian capital of Jakarta at 1609 GMT, close to where the 9.0 magnitude quake struck in December.

A spokesman for the US Geological Survey told CNN that the earthquake could cause tsunamis.

“Certainly evacuations should be occurring. I hope they are,” spokesman Don Blakeman said, saying of the earthquake that “it could also cause some local tsunami activity.”

“Even if we do see tsunami activity it won’t be as widespread” as December's quake.

It was not known at press time if a Tsunami was heading towards the Andaman coasts.

The Thai Meteorological Department acting Director General Chalermchai Ekkantrong said last night his agency had issued tsunami warnings to provinces on the coast of the Andaman Sea in wake of the quake.

“Considering such a high magnitude of the quake, it could cause tsunami,” he said.

The quake triggered commotion particularly in six southern provinces struck by tsunami on Dec 26 last year.

On Phuket, Patong Beach residents and tourists rushed out of their houses and hotels to take any vehicles they could find to get away from the beachfront.

“I can hear cars roaring everywhere. The streets just turn into mess. Now I have to rush out of the hotel,” a local TV reporter said in her live report.

“The building is so badly shaken that I can’t keep myself standing,” recounted the Nation’s reporter Achara Pongvuthitham, who was on the 25th floor of the 33-storey Lee Garden Hotel in Songkhla’s Hat Yai district.

Achara said she and many other guests ran down the fire stairs to the street down below and saw debris of broken cement and glasses along the way.

Hotel workers tried to help many guests who were locked in elevators.

Three main roads in Hat Yai were crowded with people who fled from the sheaking buildings. Traffic in the town was in serious trouble due to congestion after panic.

The quake was also felt in tall buildings in Bangkok and other provinces.

India has reactivated an emergency control room following an earthquake measuring 8.2 on the Richter scale off the coast of Indonesia, fearing a fresh tsunami disaster, official sources said.

Top officials of the meteorological department were working to find out whether the quake could trigger a tsunami, the sources said, according to the Press Trust of India.

The emergency control room was set up following the December 26 earthquake which sent tsunamis crashing all along the Indian coast killing thousands.

District officials in southern India told television channels that they were awaiting instructions from the home ministry, which runs the control room, for any evacuation that needs to be done.

Met department officials in New Delhi said "an earthquake has occurred" but had no immediately details.

The Nation,

The USGS has already upgraded the magnitude to 8.7.

Fortunately, the major danger period has passed and there are no reports of tsunamis in Indonesia and Thailand.

Sri Lanka is on alert and their danger period is not far from being over. Apparently Mauritius is considered the real danger area now.

Edited by onethailand

Small tsunami reported on Cocos Islands

28 Mar 2005 19:09:40 GMT

Source: Reuters

(Updates with more quotes)

WASHINGTON, March 28 (Reuters) - A major earthquake off the coast of northern Sumatra on Monday caused a small tsunami on the Cocos Islands in the Indian Ocean, the Pacific Tsunami Warning Center said.

The Cocos lie to the south of the epicenter of the quake, which the Tsunami Center has put at Magnitude 8.5.

"There has been no major tsunami observed near the epicenter," the Tsunami Center said. "There was however a small tsunami observed on the Cocos tide gauge."

A Tsunami Center official, Robert Cessaro, of the Pacific Tsunami Warning Center told CNN the quake was likely to have directed any tsunami waves to the south in the direction of Mauritius.

He said the massive quake that struck the region on Dec. 26 was now known to have directed most of its energy toward the north and that had relieved the underground stresses in that direction.

The latest quake was believed to have sent its main energy in the opposite direction, toward the Indian Ocean islands of Mauritius and Rodrigues, he said.

"I think it's very likely that it produced a tsunami but we don't have any information about it because we don't have any water level gauges in that area. But something this size is likely to have produced a tsunami," Cessaro said.

"But because we think the event probably ruptured to the south, the beam of energy, rather than propagating towards the central Indian Ocean, may very well have propagated towards the south, towards Mauritius and Rodrigues," he said.

The U.S. National Weather Service's Pacific Tsunami Warning Center is based on Hawaii.

JAKARTA, March 29 (Reuters) - A massive earthquake killed dozens of people and destroyed hundreds of homes in the main town on Indonesia's Nias island on Monday evening, a local government official told Metro TV.

Agus Mendrofa, the deputy mayor of Gunungsitoli town, estimated that 10,000 people had fled the town for higher ground in the wake of the 8.2 magnitude quake off the main island of Sumatra.

"I can guarantee that dozens have died," Mendrofa said by telephone.

"Gunungsitoli is now like a dead town. The situation here is in extreme panic."

Mendrofa added that roads had also been cracked by the quake

Further up date not released yet to the public.

only a headline - DK

Indonesian police say many trapped by quake

28 Mar 2005 19:17:38 GMT

JAKARTA, March 29 (Reuters) - Many residents in the main town on Indonesia's Nias island have been trapped in damaged buildings after a powerful earthquake struck on Monday evening

Edited by Darknight

i just got in from Rawai and Karon beaches in Phuket. No tsunami at Karon as of 2 am Thai time.

The traffic at the end of my soi was all heading north - trucks full of people. I headed south to Rawai. Got to the small hill about 1.5 kilometers north of Rawai and the normally 50 - 60 kph road was packed with people parking, setting up camp for the night.

Nothing much to see at Rawai. Lots of people standing near the sea gypsy village just watching the sea, but nothing much happening there.

Went to Karon - again at the small hill between Chalong and Karon there were crowds of people and trucks parked. At Karon circle a police car stopped just as I got through. I parked just past the beach at Karon and walked back to the beach. I got to some high ground and waited, looking at the sea, but nothing happened - apart from a drunk farang strolling onto the beach with his Thai g/f shouting "Stop crazy now!" at him :D .

A fire truck patrolled that part of the beach road with a loud speaker saying "Glap baan" (go home) to anybody who could hear him. At about 2 am I did indeed 'glap baan'. (But it was a 'fun' 60 minutes - occasionally kidding my g/f that the water had gone out and we should run back to the truck quick :D:D ).

One thing for sure, the police did an excellent job - lots of cars, bikes and the fire truck warning everyone about the possibility of another wave. I didn't see any bars open along Rawai beach. 10 out of 10 to the boys in brown. :o

If any thing is generated I understand it could hit ~ couple hours, it'll still be dark.

I just hope the commotion and noise wakes everyone one so they can take cover.

Keeping my fingers crossed ... :o

If any thing is generated I understand it could hit ~ couple hours, it'll still be dark.

I just hope the commotion and noise wakes everyone one so they can take cover.

Keeping my fingers crossed ... :o

the Pacific Tsunami Warning Center said the quake had the "potential to generate a widely destructive tsunami in the ocean or seas near the earthquake".

"Authorities can assume the danger has passed if no tsunami waves are observed in the region near the epicenter within three hours of the earthquake," it added.

Thailand issues tsunami warning after quake

28 Mar 2005 18:10:19 GMT

BANGKOK, March 28 (Reuters) - Thailand issued a tsunami warning and ordered people to move to higher ground along its Andaman Sea coast on Monday after a great earthquake off the coast of Indonesia sent tremors felt as far away as Bangkok.

"Many people along the west coast...must be extremely careful," said Samith Dhammasaroj, a senior Thai official charged with setting up a tsunami warning system after more than 5,300 people, including 1,953 foreigners, were killed when giant waves struck six southern provinces in Thailand on Dec. 26.

"Please evacuate to higher places now. There is a strong chance of another tsunami," Samith told radio.

Teeranan Raktabutr, deputy chief of Thailand's Meteorological Department, said local authorities in the six provinces, including the premier tourist island of Phuket, had been ordered to move people away from the coast.

"About 3,000 to 4,000 tourists and locals have been evacuated from Patong and Kamala beaches to higher places," Phuket deputy governor Wichai Buapradit told Reuters.

"We've told them to take their valuable belongings and to go to higher places," he added.

This is also confirmed by our people in the area...

Reminds me of the beginning of "The Day After" when the bueys were reporting impossible values ... brrr...

BTW, it's on CNN now.

Actually, it has been reported as 8.7, larger than Dec 26. CNN reporting on evacuations nw, Indonesia reporting deaths and injuries, much smaller numbers and basically earthquake related, not tsunami.

Magnitude 8.7

Date-Time Monday, March 28, 2005 at 16:09:36 (UTC)

= Coordinated Universal Time

Monday, March 28, 2005 at 11:09:36 PM

= local time at epicenter

Time of Earthquake in other Time Zones

Location 2.076°N, 97.013°E

Depth 30 km (18.6 miles) set by location program

This map shows 2 recent earthquakes (or, 1 and 1 aftershock)

Magnitude 6

"A strong earthquake occurred at 16:38:43 (UTC) on Monday, March 28, 2005. The magnitude 6.0 event has been located in the NIAS REGION, INDONESIA. (This event has been reviewed by a seismologist.)"

(CNN) -- Fifty people were killed and about 300 homes were destroyed on the island of Nias, near the epicenter of a massive earthquake that struck off the coast of Indonesia on Monday, a government official there told CNN.

Meanwhile, a tidal gauge has detected a small tsunami in the Indian Ocean several hundred miles southwest of the earthquake

Scientists say the threat of a tsunami striking Indonesia and Thailand may have passed because a wave like the one that hit the region on December 26 would have reached those countries almost immediately. Monday's quake struck at 11:09 a.m. ET (1609 GMT).

A damaging tsunami is still possible and should be "presumed," said Robert Cessaro of the Pacific Tsunami Warning Center. The quake may have sent its energy further to the south than last year's quake, which measured above 9 and ruptured to the north, he said.

Thailand: A tsunami warning was issued along the west coast but has now been withdrawn. Local authorities in six provinces, including the tourist island of Phuket, had moved people away from the coast. They are now being told they can return to their homes.

From Sky News.com 21.22 UK Time.

U.S. ready to help

The United States is moving into "battle mode" in the wake of the quake, alerting all the U.S. posts in the region and reaching out to aid workers, State Department spokesman Adam Ereli said.

"We're applying what we've learned from the previous earthquake, so that we can be prepared to be responsive quickly and in a meaningful way," he said.

USGS spokesman Doug Blake said there had been no reports of tsunami activity nearly 90 minutes after the quake struck.

"At this point in time we don't know what type of fault occurred ... and that is critical information we just don't have yet," he said. "It is in the aftershock zone of the December 26 quake. It's a little bit south, but it's on the same fault."

Experts agreed the quake was massive. The U.S. Geological Survey put the magnitude at 8.7; the Pacific Tsunami Warning Center said it was 8.5.

"This earthquake has the potential to generate a widely destructive tsunami in the ocean or seas near the earthquake," NOAA said in a statement on its Web site. "Authorities in those regions should be aware of this possibility and take immediate action."

Asked whether evacuations are taking place, U.S. Geological Survey spokesman Don Blakeman said, "I certainly hope so."

Phuket and Hat Yai felt the ‘Great Quake’; fresh tsunami feared

TSUNAMI PANIC: Sumatra rocked by 8.2 quake

An 8.2 magnitude earthquake struck off the coast of Sumatra last night which was felt in Phuket, Hat Yai as well as some highrises in Bangkok.

A US Geological Survey spokeswoman told Reuters the quake struck 125 miles west northwest off Sibolga, Sumatra or 880 miles northwest of the Indonesian capital of Jakarta at 1609 GMT, close to where the 9.0 magnitude quake struck in December.

A spokesman for the US Geological Survey told CNN that the earthquake could cause tsunamis.

“Certainly evacuations should be occurring. I hope they are,” spokesman Don Blakeman said, saying of the earthquake that “it could also cause some local tsunami activity.”

“Even if we do see tsunami activity it won’t be as widespread” as December's quake.

It was not known at press time if a Tsunami was heading towards the Andaman coasts.

The Thai Meteorological Department acting Director General Chalermchai Ekkantrong said last night his agency had issued tsunami warnings to provinces on the coast of the Andaman Sea in wake of the quake.

“Considering such a high magnitude of the quake, it could cause tsunami,” he said.

The quake triggered commotion particularly in six southern provinces struck by tsunami on Dec 26 last year.

On Phuket, Patong Beach residents and tourists rushed out of their houses and hotels to take any vehicles they could find to get away from the beachfront.

“I can hear cars roaring everywhere. The streets just turn into mess. Now I have to rush out of the hotel,” a local TV reporter said in her live report.

“The building is so badly shaken that I can’t keep myself standing,” recounted the Nation’s reporter Achara Pongvuthitham, who was on the 25th floor of the 33-storey Lee Garden Hotel in Songkhla’s Hat Yai district.

Achara said she and many other guests ran down the fire stairs to the street down below and saw debris of broken cement and glasses along the way.

Hotel workers tried to help many guests who were locked in elevators.

Three main roads in Hat Yai were crowded with people who fled from the sheaking buildings. Traffic in the town was in serious trouble due to congestion after panic.

The quake was also felt in tall buildings in Bangkok and other provinces.

India has reactivated an emergency control room following an earthquake measuring 8.2 on the Richter scale off the coast of Indonesia, fearing a fresh tsunami disaster, official sources said.

Top officials of the meteorological department were working to find out whether the quake could trigger a tsunami, the sources said, according to the Press Trust of India.

The emergency control room was set up following the December 26 earthquake which sent tsunamis crashing all along the Indian coast killing thousands.

District officials in southern India told television channels that they were awaiting instructions from the home ministry, which runs the control room, for any evacuation that needs to be done.

Met department officials in New Delhi said "an earthquake has occurred" but had no immediately details.

--The Nation, Agencies 2005-03-29

Thailand cancels tsunami alert after earthquake

28 Mar 2005 19:41:51 GMT

(Adds details, quotes)

BANGKOK, March 28 (Reuters) - Thousands of people fled to higher ground on Thailand's southern Andaman Sea coast on Monday after a large earthquake off the Indonesian island of Sumatra triggered fears of another killer tsunami.

"Many people along the west coast ... must be extremely careful," said Samith Dhammasaroj, a senior Thai official charged with setting up a tsunami warning system after more than 5,300 people, including 1,953 foreigners, were killed when giant waves struck six southern provinces in Thailand on Dec. 26.

"Please evacuate to higher places now. There is a strong chance of another tsunami," Samith told Bangkok's FM 100 radio station.

Authorities issued evacuation orders in the six provinces, including the premier tourist island of Phuket which has struggled to lure visitors back despite a massive marketing blitz and cheap room deals.

There were no reports of a tsunami after the 8.2 magnitude quake off the coast of northern Sumatra. A U.S. expert said the quake was likely to have directed any tsunami waves south and away from southern Thailand.

On Phuket, the 13 km (8 mile) route inland from Patong beach to Phuket town was jammed as foreign tourists and Thais crammed into vehicles and rushed to higher ground.

Suchada, a mother of two, told the Bangkok radio station she had fled Karon beach in Phuket after her friend heard a tsunami might be coming.

"There are hundreds of people staying on the hill and more and more vehicles are driving up here," she said.

There were no official reports of casualties or major damage, but the tremors also caused panic in the southern town of Hat Yai in the province of Yala, near Thailand's border with Malaysia.

"I can't stand this. Nobody knows what to do or where to go," Thanong, who was staying at a Hat Yai hotel when the tremors hit told the radio station. "No one dares to go back to their hotel room and sleep."

Quake causes panic but no tsunamis yet sighted -UN

28 Mar 2005 20:37:12 GMT

By Irwin Arieff

UNITED NATIONS, March 28 (Reuters) - A powerful earthquake off the Indonesian island of Sumatra is spreading panic but there have been no reports yet of it triggering any tsunamis, U.N. Emergency Relief Coordinator Jan Egeland said on Monday.

"We do not have reports of any tsunami yet anywhere and we have also only limited reports of damage," Egeland said.

The quake "has created a lot of panic in Sumatra. All over the island it was very, very easy to feel how big it was," Egeland told a news conference.

The quake that struck on Monday was of a magnitude of 8.7, according to the U.S. Geological Survey.

While still "very large," that was smaller than the one that hit the region on Dec. 26, devastating coastal areas and triggering giant waves that left nearly 300,000 people dead or missing across southern Asia and as far away as Somalia on Africa's east coast, Egeland said.

Although it was too early to rule out an eventual tsunami, any wave would be "nowhere close to the kind of tsunami that hit in December" because the quake was smaller, he said.

U.N. officials have had reports of deaths on Indonesia's Nias island, where the quake caused buildings to collapse, trapping people inside, he said.

Officials hoped to survey the area by helicopter in the morning, he said.

The affected areas were in any case better prepared for disaster this time around, he said. "My impression is that the system worked far better this time. There was vigilance."

Monitoring centers were able to alert the region's governments, which were in turn able to get word of the quake to local officials, he said.

Largest earthquakes since 1900

28 Mar 2005 20:13:43 GMT

LONDON, March 28 (Reuters) - An earthquake that struck off the coast of northern Sumatra on Monday was measured by the U.S. Geological Survey at magnitude 8.7, making it one of the eight biggest quakes since 1900 by magnitude.

Here is a list of the 12 strongest quakes since 1905:

May 22, 1960 - Chile - An earthquake measuring 9.5 struck the coast of central Chile, triggering tidal waves and volcanic eruptions. Some 5,000 people were killed and 2 million made homeless.

March 28, 1964 - Alaska - An earthquake and ensuing tsunami claimed 125 lives and caused about $311 million in property loss. The quake, measuring 9.2, was felt over a large area of Alaska and in parts of western Yukon Territory and British Columbia, Canada.

March 9, 1957 - Alaska - An earthquake measuring 9.1 hit the Andreanof Islands. On Umnak Island, Mount Vsevidof erupted after being dormant for 200 years, generating a 15-metre high tsunami that continued to Hawaii.

Dec 26, 2004 - Indonesia - A quake measuring 9.0 struck the coast of Aceh province on the northern Indonesian island of Sumatra and triggered a tsunami that left nearly 300,000 people dead or missing across Sri Lanka, Thailand, Indonesia and India.

Nov 4, 1952 - Russia - An earthquake with a magnitude of 9.0 generated a tsunami that struck the Hawaiian islands. No lives were lost.

Jan 31, 1906 - Ecuador - An earthquake with a magnitude of 8.8 struck near the coast of Ecuador and Colombia, generating a strong tsunami that killed up to 1,000. It was felt all along the coast of Central America and as far north as San Francisco and west to Japan.

March 28, 2005 - Indonesia - An earthquake of magnitude 8.7 struck off the coast of northern Sumatra, not far from the epicentre of the magnitude 9.0 quake three months earlier.

Feb 4, 1965 - Alaska - Measuring 8.7, the quake generated a tsunami reported to be about 10.7 metres high on Shemya Island.

Aug 15, 1950 - Tibet/India - Two thousand homes, temples and mosques were destroyed in a quake measuring 8.6. Hardest hit was the Brahmaputra Basin in northeast India. At least 1,500 people were killed.

Feb 3, 1923 - Russia - The Kamchatka peninsula was struck by a quake with a magnitude of 8.5.

Feb 1, 1938 - Indonesia - An 8.5 magnitude earthquake in the Banda Sea generated tsunamis that caused great damage on Banda and Kai, volcanic islands in eastern Indonesia.

Oct 13, 1963 - Kurile Islands - A quake measuring 8.5 was recorded in the island chain, which stretches from Russia to Japan.

Our thoughts are with every one in the endangered area,s we have just sent a group of friends to phuket on holiday, so our name will be mud , keep up the flow of information on this site , you are far better informed than CNN or any aussie newsstation hope to be able to contribute more myself when we move to thailand in may :o Nignoy

Dario, the website you offered the link to states moderate at 5.0, where did you get massive 8.2?

Yes, I just saw it on the earthquake.usgs.gov website. Make no mistake: It is recorded with a 8.5 magnitude! That's almost as strong as the Dec 26th tremor!

Have a look here: http://earthquake.usgs.gov/recenteqsww/Qua...quakes_all.html

Are we again the only ones realizing what is happening? Is the government on alert? Are they busy evacuating? Or are they again just doing nothing?

Dario, the website you offered the link to states moderate at 5.0, where did you get massive 8.2?
Yes, I just saw it on the earthquake.usgs.gov website. Make no mistake: It is recorded with a 8.5 magnitude! That's almost as strong as the Dec 26th tremor!

Have a look here: http://earthquake.usgs.gov/recenteqsww/Qua...quakes_all.html

Are we again the only ones realizing what is happening? Is the government on alert? Are they busy evacuating? Or are they again just doing nothing?

Actually the highest is stated now 8.7

http://earthquake.usgs.gov/recenteqsww/Quakes/usweax.htm