New Game....

skippybangkok

Was in Pattaya over the week-end with the Mrs, first time in i believe 2 years. Was amazed jsut how few tourists there were, was like playing "spot the falang".

Lots of new stuff there, Avanue is ready, Central and all kinds of stuff. ( guess i am out of date ). Having dinner on beach road, talked with the restaurant staff, a place not too far from Royal Plaza pays 300k / month rent..... and we were the only ones eating there - making a profit is cetainly not on the books.

how times have changed.

too many nails have been hammered into the coffin of thai tourism.

the 150 baht atm fee was the last straw for a lot of people.

I think a 3 Euro Withdrawal fee has no impact on the tourist arrivals!

What fee are you paying at home, when wthdrawing money not from your own bank ATM?

Not sure about other nationals but for anyone from the U.K. it has become a very expensive place to live in the past 18 months.

Previously 70 Baht -£1

Now 51 Baht-1

So a loss of 27% of income. Interest rates at an all time low, previoulsy £100k would get about £5k a year, now its down to £2.8k unless its tied up for 5 years. Pensions are recieving increases of 0.1% as RPI is at an all time low.

Then there are the increases in prices in Thailand, a few examples

L&M ciggies 2006 38 Baht now 60 Baht

Can of Leo 7/11 2006 22 Baht now 30 Baht

Loaf of bread Tesco 2006 24 Baht now 36 Baht

Tin of Tesco tuna 2006 19.5 Baht now 28 Baht

The list is endless, as you can see with the bad exchange rate, low income and ever increases in Thailand, I spend double the amount of Sterling I did 3 years ago.....that is why a lot of British have either moved home or are not coming as often...as for other nationalities its not so bad but they will b affectd by the increases at least...

It constantly amazes me that cigarette smokers just cannot compute how much money they burn in their lifetimes supporting their habits. I quit smoking years ago when I figured out how much money I was looking to burn. Quit smoking then you can buy 2 cans of Leo instead!

It's not a Pattaya or Thailand thing, all countries suffer from a decline in visitor numbers. I remember Greece had a double digit decline for the last summer season. other countries might have as well.

I thing most of all it is a psychological issue, people fear to lose jobs, people tend to save more money when they think that hard times might be ahead. After all, Thailand still is a well priced holiday target.

If we would not have the economic crisis, traveller would even not care about the politic chaos. But somehow, all comes together at this stage....

When I was driving my bike around lunch time on Sai Sam, I did notice only a handful farangs. Somehow a bizarre situation in Pattaya.

It constantly amazes me that cigarette smokers just cannot compute how much money they burn in their lifetimes supporting their habits. I quit smoking years ago when I figured out how much money I was looking to burn. Quit smoking then you can buy 2 cans of Leo instead!

I suggest you should also sell that nice car in your avatar cos have calculated already how much gasoline you gonna burn when you keep it?

Oh,and forget about those 2 cans of leo because they are empty long time before the pack of ciggies is finished.

By the wa I calculated that,judging by the pictures on the pack,that the more I smoke the more I save in the long term.Ever calculated how much taxes you save if you leave this world a few years early. :)

I suggest you should also sell that nice car in your avatar cos have calculated already how much gasoline you gonna burn when you keep it?

Oh,and forget about those 2 cans of leo because they are empty long time before the pack of ciggies is finished.

By the wa I calculated that,judging by the pictures on the pack,that the more I smoke the more I save in the long term.Ever calculated how much taxes you save if you leave this world a few years early. :)

Ha ha haha this has got to be one of the best replies I have seen here on TV. Well done mate my sentiments exactly.

The fact that someone truly believes that a five dollar or 3 Euro ATM charge is what will kill off the Thailand Tourism industry just shows what weird worlds people here inhabit.

TH

The fact that someone truly believes that a five dollar or 3 Euro ATM charge is what will kill off the Thailand Tourism industry just shows what weird worlds people here inhabit.

TH

are you stupid?......I said it was the last straw.....meaning a culmination of factors.

TH

are you stupid?......I said it was the last straw.....meaning a culmination of factors.

The ATM fee is a p*i*t*a for expats drawing off their money from foreign accounts but it is absolutely irrelevant to the number of tourist arrivals.

Somtimes I get the feeling that 90 % of the posters here are totally depressed, pessimistic and down. How comes, enjoy, we are still in one of the best places on earth!

Cheers

When I was driving my bike around lunch time on Sai Sam, I did notice only a handful farangs. Somehow a bizarre situation in Pattaya.

That's because most Farangs are here for the nightlife and live a 4pm to 4 am existence so lunch time they're still in bed.

Lol...evening about 9 pm..... guess the Dracula's should be out after sun down :)

I have to agree that it does seem a lot more expensive at 50 to the pound. The coffee for example (Coffee World, Starbucks) are now MORE expensive in LoS than they are in the UK. Clothes too - in Tesco for example cheapest t-shirt about 99 in the UK 90 and better quality. I think we better get used to it though.

Well I was there July to September and one evening walked along both soi Post Office (13/2) NS Yamato (13/1) and, apart from Wonderful bar, there were no customers in any of the bars or restaurants. There was also no music being played save for the vendors at the beach road end and again Wonderful bar.

Chickens and eggs jump to mind but a silent bar does not attract much custom.

However I've just stopped off on the return leg from the UK and the place was noticeably busier but not anywhere near the levels of the '90's however those who were there certainly appreciated the Sunday evening paddle across second road.

I'm not the one having problems, re-read post #4. Point being that cigarettes are not a necessity of life, the cost of cigarettes shouldn't be entered into the equation when calculating the cost of living. I'll keep my car, thanks, I can afford it for all the money I've saved by not smoking.

Like others have stated, tourism is down across the board. And it's still low-season with the rains having yet to end.

Other than that, I think I recall still seeing many a tourist during the evening hours when I was there about a month ago...

Patters will survive...