Lost British Passport

Here goes,

I arrived here just under 3 months ago on a non imm type "o" multi- entry visa due to my marraige to a thai. I got said visa from Hull and no problems there.

2 weeks ago I had my passport stolen and I've now applied for a new one. It'll arrive on the 20th of October. The woman behind the desk said just pick it up on the 20th, get yourself over to the new building in Chaeng Whattana Soi 7 and they'll replicate your visa with much trouble.

So now Im a happy bunny, getting my passport and my visa plus just intime to get it stamped before the 25th of October (my 90 days up).

But when speaking to my HR department they said Im going to need photos of my wife and I in our house? (i live in an apartment). So I started searching here and people (2 posts) have said once you lose your passport your visa expired?

So my post essentially is - What the hel_l am I to do? Do I have to reapply for a new marraige visa? Do I have to pay the same amount? Do I start my 12 months again from when I reapply? Do I need to stamp for 90 days?

Hope someone can shine some much needed light into this matter for me.

Thankyou

Do you have any copies of your original passport?

Immigration can only replace you current permission to stay. Hopefully they will have a record of your current 90 day stay in their records. You are going to have to start there.They cannot replace your Visa.

Sorry but you are going to have to apply for your Visa again.

In the emediate area KL. Penang or Perth Australia would be the options.

You lost your passport and are in the process of obtaining a new one. When you receive this you will need to go to Chaeng Wattana for them to put the permission to stay stamp in your new passport (you can’t leave the country without this) and to issue you with a duplicate Form TM6 departure card. If you have a copy of your old passport entry stamp/TM6 card that will help immigration. Otherwise you will need to provide immigration with details of your last arrival information, flight and date, so they can locate your arrival card. Immigration cannot transfer your visa as it was not issued by them (issued by Thai embassy/consulate abroad).

You will unfortunately need to obtain a new visa. KL would be a good place to go and suggest you take wife with you. Can obtain 12 month multi-entry Non-O visa if you want. Need signed copy of wife's ID card, marriage certificate, tabbien bahn (house book), short letter from wife asking embassy to issue the visa and bank book showing balance (based on reports) of at least 30k. Penang will issue too, but bank balance figure may be higher.

Your HR department is talking about extension of stay (that is not a visa). You can apply for extension of stay based on marriage during the last 30 days of your permission to stay if you meet the requirements, financial requirements being 400k in bank for 2 months prior to application or 40k/month income (for income from abroad you will need income letter from embassy or for income within Thailand tax receipts). If you want to go this route then suggest you obtain single entry Non-O visa from KL (same paperwork as above) which will give you 90 day permission to stay on entry. During the last 30 days of your permission to stay you can apply for your extension of stay.

Edited by thaiphoon

Well I do have a photocopy of my stolen passport and boarding card and visa.

So what next? I have to leave the country asap and come back to regrant my marraige visa?

I could always just get the school to get me a work visa or do I still have to leave the country for that as well?

You will effectively get a visa exempt entry stamp from immigration relating to your permission to stay. With less than 21 days left on your permission to stay you cannot do conversion to Non-O and apply for extension of stay (whether based on marriage or based on employment). You will need new Non-O visa. Single entry will give you 90 day stay and then apply for extension of stay during last 30 days. Extend on basis of marriage or extend on basis of employment? I personally would extend on basis of marriage (if you meet the requirements); if you choose to extend based on employment you would have to leave the country if your employment ended.

There must be another way? I'm married to a Thai, got a full time job and yet I still have to fork out an extra 10,000 plus after I paid for a new passport as well? Please let there be a god!

Sorry for your predicament.

I went through this nightmare last year when I was burgled and lost everything including my passport.

Sadly, there is no easy way to resolve your situation.

1. If you are on extensions ( retirement for example) and you lose your passport do you have to do the same? Or will they just put a new extension stamp in your new passport?

2. If you have an extension stamp in a new passport and someone steals/you lose your old passport with the original visa what then?

Think I will put mine back in the safe.