12 Month Visa Cancelled - Forgot To Get Re-entry Permit

Yes...i am an idiot. I had just renewed my 12-month visa in August. I have a non-immigrant o visa as a guardian of my child who is a full time student in Thailand. My family has been living in Chiang Mai for over 4 years.

Usually I get a multiple entry permit at the the same time that I renew my visa, but I decided to wait because I needed a break from the stress of the immigration office in Chiang Mai. So i booked a last minute trip out of the country with out first getting a re-entry permit. When I arrived back in Thailand 2 weeks later, immigration in bkk gave me a 30 day tourist stamp nullifying my 12 month visa. I immediately went to the immigration office in Chiang Mai and talked to the officer that had processed my visas a month earlier to see what could be done. That person just smiled and told me, I'm basically screwed. I have to leave the country and start the visa process over again.

Does anybody have any ideas how to resolve this without starting over?

mate, I did the same thing last month and cancelled my work permit which I have had for 5 years. there is nothing to do but start all over again. sorry to give you bad news. its a pain in the arse but nothing to do about it.

You were on extension of stay (not a visa). Leaving the country without a re-entry permit will terminate your permission of stay.

Sorry, no way round it. You will have to apply for new extension of stay.

Edited by thaiphoon

mate, I did the same thing last month and cancelled my work permit which I have had for 5 years. there is nothing to do but start all over again. sorry to give you bad news. its a pain in the arse but nothing to do about it.

Interesting, I thought that an extension of stay based on employment was conditioned upon the work permit, not the other way around. Agreed, you need a non-immigrant visa to get a work permit, but if you have a temporary lapse in you visa status, does that necessarily negate your work permit?

Interesting, I thought that an extension of stay based on employment was conditioned upon the work permit, not the other way around. Agreed, you need a non-immigrant visa to get a work permit, but if you have a temporary lapse in you visa status, does that necessarily negate your work permit?

Lose the job = lose extension of stay (and permission to stay). No permission to stay = need to leave the country. WP should theoretically be returned to labour department for cancellation, but remains valid.

Edited by thaiphoon

it did for me and I went to everyone that I thought could help me.

........... but if you have a temporary lapse in you visa status, does that necessarily negate your work permit?

NO. The WP remains valid and you can work as long as you are legally in Thailand, even if it is on a temporary 30 day stamp. Only when the time comes for renewal of WP do you have to have a Non-Imm visa or extension of stay based on one such visa.

opalhort

Lose the job = lose extension of stay (and permission to stay). No permission to stay = need to leave the country. WP should theoretically be returned to labour department for cancellation, but remains valid.

In the situation being discussed the poster did not loose his job, thus work permit does not need to be returned to Labor Department and remains valid.

In the situation being discussed the poster did not loose his job, thus work permit does not need to be returned to Labor Department and remains valid.

Oops! Misread the post; you are correct.

I was here for 4 years on a work permit. the non-O visa expired after the first year. I never got another one and the extension of stay was based on the work permit, not the expired non-O. However, when I left employment my extension of stay finished on my last day of work. I had to either leave Thailand on that day or get a (maximum) 7 day extension and leave within the next 7 days. Now I keep my non-O current just in case I want to change jobs without having to leave the country.

I always get the multiple entry whether planing on a trip or not, great insurance policy for little money and a small extra step

i use Google calendar for reminders of my visa renewals and 90 day reporting. I have it send an email a week before and then everyday so I don't mess up...easier to fix ahead of time and easy to forget

do the same for my vehicle insurances etc. safe than sorry