Security Act Enforcement In Cha-am/hua-hin

opalhort

Does anybody know from when the security act will be enforced in Cha-Am for the Asean meeting. I think I read somewhere they start on 15.10.09 but not sure.

Reason for asking:

My wife and her family plan to spend two days (17-18.10.09) in Cha-Am at a house they own near the beach. A neighbour (police officer, low level traffic cop - so not much reliable info from him) told us that no cars are allowed into the restricted zone unless they have a 'Petchaburi' registration. My family will go in two cars registered in BKK.

Can anybody here clarify this issue please?

opalhort

From what I know, local residents will be issued stickers to put on their vehicles in order to ease the passing of checkpoints. So other vehicles may get more attention, but they are not likely to turn all the traffic back to Bangkok. I'm pretty sure your family will be allowed to access their own house, especially if they take the house registration (tabien ban) with them as a proof.

Hi,

We just got back to bkk from our visit to Hua Hin and saw nothing different whatsoever apart from the extra battleship that has joined the other permanent 3. There was no police seen other than the usual one or 2 and no military whatsoever.

I dont think things will change down there at all, its still a very nice, relaxing place to visit.

Falcon

Thngs will change. The security act has just not started yet.

100.000 soldiers makes quite a difference in a town with around the same number of inhabitants. Last ASEAN summit in the spring, there were soldiers standing at every single small intersection on whatever random small road you were driving on. And don't even think about going near the town center, it's a nightmare. I mean they close the roads whenever someone important needs to go to the toilet.

Whoever said things were not going to change should try to take a ride into the center of Hua Hin from the North. Oh my is it a nightmare already, they sealed off a lane for the ASEAN and around the palace there is only one lane each direction, I think it took us more than ½ hour from Soi 6 to the post office.

Whoever said things were not going to change should try to take a ride into the center of Hua Hin from the North. Oh my is it a nightmare already, they sealed off a lane for the ASEAN and around the palace there is only one lane each direction, I think it took us more than ½ hour from Soi 6 to the post office.
In his days in the UK, Mark Abisit learned a song: "We Won't Be Fooled Again."

"

In his days in the UK, Mark Abisit learned a song: "We Won't Be Fooled Again."

Yes and from those days he will no doubt have enjoyed the British traditional pantomine and the oft voiced childrens shouts of "Look behind you". :)