3000 More Rot-daeng

LazyYogi

3,000 mini-buses to provide reformed mass transport system in Chiang Mai

CMM reporters.

Plans are under way to reform Chiang Mai’s inadequate mass transport system, with the Chiang Mai Land Transport Office already seeking investors in the project. The scheme will dovetail services with the upcoming Bus Rapid Transport project.

In order to reduce the number of cars in the city, 3,000 red mini-buses will be brought into service, on routes covering all important locations within the city.. Low ticket prices are promised, with each bus’s full journey costing 15-20 baht and its service running every 5 minutes.

Rapid expansion of the city and growth of its population, with new housing estates, shopping malls and commercial developments and an increasing number of privately owned and registered vehicles, is expected to bring traffic to a standstill across the central areas within 5 years. A team of academics has been brought in to provide a feasibility study, a master plan and reports on engineering, economics and environmental impact.

According to Atsathai Rattanadilok na Phuket, head of the Chiang Mai Land Transports Office, the new system will need the cooperation of the Nakhon Lanna Transport Cooperative and other organisations. ‘The project will be launched in pilot form for between 3 and 6 months, and will be controlled by GPS satellite’, he said.

http://www.chiangmai-mail.com/current/news.shtml#hd7

So between the purchasing and the assignment of licenses let's say 100,000 (conservative I think) were slushing around. That would amount to about 300 million baht. Not bad. I hope this doesn't derail the gondola to Mae Hong Son initiative.

Edited by lannarebirth

hahahahahahaha, they even cannot control / make a success of of the 5 white buses driving around CM. It took them 5 years to plan and get them on the road. Now, after 2 years in service, they driving around empty.

3.000 minivans + 5.000 red taxis = 8.000 of the worst drivers in the world and they will be all driving around in the city of CM........ Time to move to another place I think.

Do I smell something? 3.000 minivans is a lot of money.............