"stay Away From Phuket" Says Sister In Law

cognos

Today the wife's sister said to her.." you two should stay in Canada, so many problem here in Phuket..yellow, red, many murders.. etc.." Personally I don't care, and would go back tomorrow, but have to wait a while. Sure enough, checking Thai visa, there sure are a lot of murders going on in Phuket these days..tourists on Bangla Road, a landlord kills 2 tenants and wounds one in Chalong area..etc.. Personally I like going to Bangla road, but keep the visits down to ONCE each 2 or 3 month trip, and I go with a buddy who works in the Thai immigration police.Question..Is it getting worse for murders generally in LOS and specifically Phuket, or is this just a blip???

Today the wife's sister said to her.." you two should stay in Canada, so many problem here in Phuket..yellow, red, many murders.. etc.." Personally I don't care, and would go back tomorrow, but have to wait a while. Sure enough, checking Thai visa, there sure are a lot of murders going on in Phuket these days..tourists on Bangla Road, a landlord kills 2 tenants and wounds one in Chalong area..etc.. Personally I like going to Bangla road, but keep the visits down to ONCE each 2 or 3 month trip, and I go with a buddy who works in the Thai immigration police.Question..Is it getting worse for murders generally in LOS and specifically Phuket, or is this just a blip???

Do you think its any better in Canada ? Vancouver is second only to Miami in North America for property crime. This is just BS, everyone thinks its getting worse everywhere. If you mind your own business and hang around with decent people then you will be ok anywhere.

Here is my post from a thread I published a few weeks ago.

After living in Chiang Mai permanently for the last 6 years and rapidly becoming bored of it`s ever diminishing night life & entertainments, plus hardly venturing anywhere else during the time I have lived here, I decided to visit Pattaya on a 6 day break, the so called paradise play ground of Thailand.

Flew from Chiang Mai to Bangkok, bus to Pattaya and then a mini cab to my hotel.

On the bus journey I met up with a New Zealand guy and we became friends, agreed to meet up on our second day in Pattaya.

The first evening at the hotel I was sitting in the lobby having a drink when a young doped up European guy approached me and started chatting. Within 5 minutes he was trying to sell me drugs and with the stuff in his right hand, attempted to push the drugs into my pocket. I told him to clear off, but it took the guy a few minutes before he realised that I wasn’t interested.

Later that evening I walked around the town passing many bars. The bargirls had the bodies of 18 years olds, but facially looked 40. It was hello welcome with aggression and in most cases I walked passed as quickly as possible to save being hassled. For all my many years of living in Thailand, for the first time I saw European women working in the bars. They were obviously Eastern Europeans, most were drugged up skinny ugly hooked nosed individuals, who I guessed are working illegally in Thailand to gain income and easily obtainable drugs to feed their habit.

The next day I met up with the New Zealand guy and we decided to check out the beach area. All along the beach road there where open drugs deals going on, old Thai women trading with Farangs. We witnessed a Farang guy having his mobile phone snatched by Thai youths and some Indian tourists being beaten up on the beach by some Thai jetski owners after a dispute. There were Thai woman of all ages, some only children offering their services. These females appeared to live on the street like vermin and looked dirty and nasty. We saw some ragity looking Brits doing drug deals in a steak house restaurant. We were frequently confronted by Farangs (mostly Brits) and some Thais trying to sell us things. With all this activity going on, there was not a policeman in sight, so in the event of being robbed, scammed or attacked, one was on his own.

In Chiang Mai many people, including myself walk about with a money purse strapped to the waist. In Pattaya it was the opposite. No one would dare, as it would probably be snatched within minutes. I also found that the welcoming smiles and politeness portrayed by the Thais towards Farangs in Chiang Mai was practically non existent in Pattaya.

To conclude, I was out of my depth in Pattaya and after leaving felt that the levelling of the place by a major earthquake, flood or a bomb would do it justice.

Yesterday I was extremely happy to have arrived back in good ole Chiang Mai, I even hugged my Thai neighbours and now thrilled to be back in my little sleepy village again.

Do you think its any better in Canada ? Vancouver is second only to Miami in North America for property crime. This is just BS, everyone thinks its getting worse everywhere. If you mind your own business and hang around with decent people then you will be ok anywhere.

not at all..it is certainly and generally not greener on the "other side".Vancouver had a huge spate of gang killings last year, and it is still very bad. I was going to mention this fact, so thank you for "reminding" me. I only repeat what the sister in law said. No need to get your hackles up, but that is certainly your prerogative sir. I don't believe that tourists get killed here as much as there..do you have statistics on that? btw, I would MUCH rather be there than here in Vancouver, so it was not meant in any way shape or form as a slam on LOS, as I love LOS and will retire there soon well before age 55.

After living in Chiang Mai permanently for the last 6 years and rapidly becoming bored of it`s ever diminishing night life & entertainments, plus hardly venturing anywhere else during the time I have lived here, I decided to visit Pattaya on a 6 day break, the so called paradise play ground of Thailand.

Flew from Chiang Mai to Bangkok, bus to Pattaya and then a mini cab to my hotel.

On the bus journey I met up with a New Zealand guy and we became friends, agreed to meet up on our second day in Pattaya.

The first evening at the hotel I was sitting in the lobby having a drink when a young doped up European guy approached me and started chatting. Within 5 minutes he was trying to sell me drugs and with the stuff in his right hand, attempted to push the drugs into my pocket. I told him to clear off, but it took the guy a few minutes before he realised that I wasn't interested.

Later that evening I walked around the town passing many bars. The bargirls had the bodies of 18 years olds, but facially looked 40. It was hello welcome with aggression and in most cases I walked passed as quickly as possible to save being hassled. For all my many years of living in Thailand, for the first time I saw European women working in the bars. They were obviously Eastern Europeans, most were drugged up skinny ugly hooked nosed individuals, who I guessed are working illegally in Thailand to gain income and easily obtainable drugs to feed their habit.

The next day I met up with the New Zealand guy and we decided to check out the beach area. All along the beach road there where open drugs deals going on, old Thai women trading with Farangs. We witnessed a Farang guy having his mobile phone snatched by Thai youths and some Indian tourists being beaten up on the beach by some Thai jetski owners after a dispute. There were Thai woman of all ages, some only children offering their services. These females appeared to live on the street like vermin and looked dirty and nasty. We saw some ragity looking Brits doing drug deals in a steak house restaurant. We were frequently confronted by Farangs (mostly Brits) and some Thais trying to sell us things. With all this activity going on, there was not a policeman in sight, so in the event of being robbed, scammed or attacked, one was on his own.

In Chiang Mai many people, including myself walk about with a money purse strapped to the waist. In Pattaya it was the opposite. No one would dare, as it would probably be snatched within minutes. I also found that the welcoming smiles and politeness portrayed by the Thais towards Farangs in Chiang Mai was practically non existent in Pattaya.

To conclude, I was out of my depth in Pattaya and after leaving felt that the levelling of the place by a major earthquake, flood or a bomb would do it justice.

Yesterday I was extremely happy to have arrived back in good ole Chiang Mai, I even hugged my Thai neighbours and now thrilled to be back in my little sleepy village again.

Pattaya is a shock to the system...great fun for some...and a one day wonder for the rest of us....

Here is my post from a thread I published a few weeks ago. After living in Chiang Mai permanently for the last 6 years and rapidly becoming bored of it`s ever diminishing night life & entertainments, plus hardly venturing anywhere else during the time I have lived here, I decided to visit Pattaya on a 6 day break, the so called paradise play ground of Thailand. ....[snnnnnip]....

So, you complain about the "ever diminishing night life" in CM, go "all the way" to Pattaya, and instead of getting laid or otherwise having a good time decide to take note of all that you perceive to be wrong with it, and then proudly report it here in detail.

sassienie, it's Thailand. The glass is half full here.

Really, it is...

Here is my post from a thread I published a few weeks ago. After living in Chiang Mai permanently for the last 6 years and rapidly becoming bored of it`s ever diminishing night life & entertainments, plus hardly venturing anywhere else during the time I have lived here, I decided to visit Pattaya on a 6 day break, the so called paradise play ground of Thailand. ....[snnnnnip]....

So, you complain about the "ever diminishing night life" in CM, go "all the way" to Pattaya, and instead of getting laid or otherwise having a good time decide to take note of all that you perceive to be wrong with it, and then proudly report it here in detail.

sassienie, it's Thailand. The glass is half full here.

Really, it is...

I would agree..its how your perceive Pattaya that gives you your negative baggage or not..if I was still single I would frequent Pattaya more often, as it is the wife is from Phuket, so thats where I end up most of the time. Many of us Farang like the seedier aspects of LOS, its like a giant adult-orientated circus, signed: married and very happy, but sort of miss the old freedom of visiting Pattaya and Jomtien by myself :)

Thats Phuket for you .... wild wild West - overpopulated, poor planning and regulation, corrupt officials, dirty, noisy, expensive (by Thai standards) ... I don't think theres much going for it in the long run - it's becoming just another densely populated urbanised area with all the problems that such areas have anywhere in the world (plus a whole lot more) - oh, nearly forgot - traffic just gets worse and worse each year.

Mind you, the way Asia's population is growing, it won't be long before many other parts of Thailand (and elsewhere in Asia) have to deal with the same problems that Phuket has had to learn to live with.

Okay to go to if you want to let your hair down for a week or so, but God only knows why anyone would want to choose to live there!

since when as Pattaya been in Phuket,

Phuket is growing fast very fast,everywhere you look there is a new building for homes office shopping malls,population as increased and so as the traffic and pollution,so as the crime rate gone up,from bag snatching ,to shootings,car jacking and house burglary,tourist are being over charged for almost everything and the standard offered to tourist as declined,i would guess pretty much the same what ever country you live in,

The first evening at the hotel I was sitting in the lobby having a drink when a young doped up European guy approached me and started chatting. Within 5 minutes he was trying to sell me drugs and with the stuff in his right hand, attempted to push the drugs into my pocket. I told him to clear off, but it took the guy a few minutes before he realised that I wasn’t interested.

That was an unfair post. I have been to Pattaya for months and I have never seen some of the things you wrote, what do you look like ? it seems like you attract some real characters.

Thats Phuket for you .... wild wild West - overpopulated, poor planning and regulation, corrupt officials, dirty, noisy, expensive (by Thai standards) ... I don't think theres much going for it in the long run - it's becoming just another densely populated urbanised area with all the problems that such areas have anywhere in the world (plus a whole lot more) - oh, nearly forgot - traffic just gets worse and worse each year.

Mind you, the way Asia's population is growing, it won't be long before many other parts of Thailand (and elsewhere in Asia) have to deal with the same problems that Phuket has had to learn to live with.

Okay to go to if you want to let your hair down for a week or so, but God only knows why anyone would want to choose to live there!

What is a place in Thailand that you think is not like Phuket ? I have never been to Phuket yet but I have a feeling that it is a really nice place and you are just slamming it for some reason.

What is a place in Thailand that you think is not like Phuket ? I have never been to Phuket yet but I have a feeling that it is a really nice place and you are just slamming it for some reason.

Can't argue with anything Maizefarmer says. I did live there - for 6 months and left a year ago. I found it too crowded, too corporate, the traffic is horrible and it's looking more and more like a strip mall every day - just basically not what I was looking for. To each his own. I didn't personally experience any crime but heard of several motorbike muggings (mostly Rawai) and a few shootings. The crime goes up when tourism goes down and money gets tight. Right now tourism is way down so I'm not surprised if crime is worse than when I left. I met some great people there and the beaches - when not asses to elbows with tourists - are wonderful. I don't miss it.

Of course you are aware there are other places to live in Thailand than Phuket and other touristy cesspools. I have lived in NE Thailand for 5 years and feel safer than back home ("in the land of the free and the home of the brave".)

I will add that my wife's family lives in the south of Phuket, near the Aquarium. There are few farang around this area, and it is way more like the "real Thailand" compared to Patong. Most farang don't seem to travel much farther than their hotel and Patong beach.

Of course you are aware there are other places to live in Thailand than Phuket and other touristy cesspools. I have lived in NE Thailand for 5 years and feel safer than back home ("in the land of the free and the home of the brave".)

I live in Chiang Mai and visit the other "touristy cesspools" pretty regularly and hardly ever have a problem. Most of the sad sacks on here whining about how terrible it is have never been happy anywhere. :)

Me too my friend. I absolutely love the countryside. Morlam sing can become a bit tedious sometimes but you don't have to go. I think it's up to the individual.

If I want the beach or Bangkok it's a 10 hour drive or an hours flight, not the end of the world.

As far as the crime issue, I'm from London, Nottinghill and couldn't think of a dodgier place to stagger home after a few beers down the local.....

I live in Chiang Mai and visit the other "touristy cesspools" pretty regularly and hardly ever have a problem. Most of the sad sacks on here whining about how terrible it is have never been happy anywhere. :)

ah..sad sack..and the fat sargent.. comic books..a good memory of youth in the 60's..sorry for the bovine digression..

The post has nothing to do with Canada or any other foreign country........this type of response is really getting old. The question is about safety issues in a "vacation spot in Thailand."

Funny thing how people can perceive things differently but i spend three months of the year in Pattaya but I don't see as many negatives as you do.

I am not saying there isn't drugs around but I have never actually seen any or had people come up to me and try and sell them to me.

Beach Road is certainly an eye opener but again I have never been hassled along there nor have i seen fights going on there.

It seems like you saw everything in a day or two in Pattaya.

Frankly i don't believe some of it and think that you are given to much hyperbole.

Sure Pattaya has problems but it is still a fun place to enjoy yourself as long as you take care.

The post has nothing to do with Canada or any other foreign country........this type of response is really getting old. The question is about safety issues in a "vacation spot in Thailand."

I dodge less stray bullets in Bangkok then I do in Vancouver so I guess what I am saying is that there is not a safety issue in my vacation spot.

I dodge less stray bullets in Bangkok then I do in Vancouver so I guess what I am saying is that there is not a safety issue in my vacation spot.

have you been to Vancouver? Granted, i know of 2 people who were hit in their homes by stray bullets in Vancouver, one is brain damaged now and the other had a cigarette roller explode in his hands..but I'll bet you 1 million baht that WAY more tourists get killed in Phuket than Vancouver..not that the post has shiiite all with comparing the 2 cities

I understand the point (safety is relative).......you can always talk about a place that is more dangerous (e.g., Iraq) or less dangerous (e.g., Oman) than Thailand.

And in Thailand there are regions/cities that are more dangerous than other regions/cities.

The OP wants to know about the situation in Phuket. So, I think the focus should be on Phuket.

Has it become dangerous? Yes? No?

That was an unfair post. I have been to Pattaya for months and I have never seen some of the things you wrote, what do you look like ? it seems like you attract some real characters.

Well as a (very) occasional visitor I would say all of those things are readily apparent and visible.. Patts is what it is, kinda fun for a 3 day bender but really attracts the worst of all nationalities.

As to the drugs thing, a buddy was there late one night, heavy thai guy come and got in his face, kinda freaked him as he wasnt sure what was going on, guy shoves something at him and instantly jumped on by multiple plain clothes cops.. Total fit up. Cost him a lot to sort it out and remain in country an this is someone who speaks good Thai not a noob. Just a total corrupt prey on the farang by police sting.

To be honest when I read all the doom and gloom in the local papers here and then analyze my own life in Thailand I think "I've rarely if ever seen any of that shit going down." Heard about it second hand sure. Seen it myself? About once in a blue moon.