Pay As You Sim Card ( Ais)

ron1abolish

Hello all you lucky people in Thailand, I returned to the UK 4 weeks ago from Pattaya. Whilst I was there I used my UK phone too much and ran up a bill that outweighed my hotel bill for the two weeks I was there,

Since I arrived home A friend of mine told me that he has a PAYG sim on AIS,

Can anyone tell me, 1 How long these cards remain active for now that it

has run out of credit

2 How long do,s it stay active with credit on it.

3 Any ideas on comparable prices with the UK.

My friend said that he was able to call home for 10Pence per min compared with my 70 p on Vodaphone.

Any info would be appreciated,

Thanks, Ron J.

Hello all you lucky people in Thailand,  I returned to the UK 4 weeks ago from Pattaya.  Whilst I was there I used my UK phone too much and ran up a bill that outweighed my hotel bill for the two weeks I was there, 

Since I arrived home A friend of mine told me that he has a PAYG sim on AIS,

Can anyone tell me,  1 How long these cards remain active for now that it

has run out of credit

2 How long do,s it stay active with credit on it.

3 Any ideas on comparable prices with the UK.

My friend said that he was able to call home for 10Pence per min compared with my 70 p on Vodaphone.

Any info would be appreciated,

Thanks,  Ron J.

Yes AIS , Orange, DTAc all have pay as you go chips. Also a AIS sim is only around 350baht. Roughly. Som nam na! :o Should have thought about it. I always buy a local sim if i am in a contry long enough and need tyo phone home or have people phone me.

AIS (a.k.a. "1-2-Call") prepaid SIM cards cost 299 Baht at the MBK. Calling in Thailand is 5 Baht a minute and you can call abroad for 7 Baht if you dial 008 or 009 instead of the international access code ie for UK 009 44 XXXXXXXX(area code and number). I understand DTAC is cheaper but its coverage isn't as good. The charge-up credit validates the SIM card for 10 Baht a day. ie for 500 Baht you buy 50 days. Once that runs out I don't know how long the card is good for, though. I've got a Thai friend keeping mine alive.

AIS – offer the One 2 Call pre-pay Sim card, and most of the other companies in Thailand offer a similar service. DTAC are cheaper but I’ve experienced trouble receiving their SMS especially when back home and someone texts me from Thailand.

If you do get a SIM card here One 2 Call are probably your best bet, here are a few things that you might like to know …

1. - make sure your phone is not “locked” and will allow you to operate with another SIM. If it is you can get it unlocked in UK or here.

2. - look out for special deals; a card normally costs about 300 baht and the price includes about 50 baht of calls, but I bought a SIM in Dot.Com Sri Racha for 150 including 50 baht calls.

3. - AIS offer the Sim to Go package. This is aimed at visitors to Thailand. This card costs B1000, but includes 800 baht of calls. All incoming calls are of course free, and outgoing are 9baht in Thailand and 14 baht to UK. These rates may be lower now. It also has international roaming on it so you can use it if needed at home or around Asia. There are also some little extras like a tourism advice service (*0007). Having said this it is in fact just a glorified One 2 Call card and you can top up with those cards.

4. – IR – International Roaming is available on One 2 Call as well.

5. – If you lose your Sim or it is stolen, you can keep your number by going to an AIS office (i.e. Bkk or in Pattaya nearist is Sri Racha or Rayong) bringing ID, and a police report of the loss.

6. For 500 baht you can get a “Jumbo” Sim card that has 3 Name and number memories of 250 and a 100 SMS memory. Standard memory is about 250 names and numbers.

7. – When you buy a Sim you should be able to get all your existing Sim/phone info copied to your new Sim.

8. – back up all your stuff on a computer and you’ll have it save in the event of theft, loss or accident.

9. – Once you start topping up your card you will see that you have about a year to use it in. I usually top mine up just before I leave to get the maximum period available – mine is currently valid ‘til March 2007.

10. – When calling abroad you can save money by dialling 007, 008*, 009* instead of 001 the usual Thai international number

* (7 baht per minute to UK)

11. – If you want any more info, you can call the AIS call centre on 1175 and then press 2 for English language.

Edited by wilko

AIS – offer the One 2 Call pre-pay Sim card, and most of the other companies in Thailand offer a similar service. DTAC are cheaper but I’ve experienced trouble receiving their SMS especially when back home and someone texts me from Thailand.

If you do get a SIM card here One 2 Call are probably your best bet, here are a few things that you might like to know …

1. - make sure your phone is not “locked” and will allow you to operate with another SIM. If it is you can get it unlocked in UK or here.

2. -  look out for special deals; a card normally costs about 300 baht and the price includes about 50 baht of calls, but I bought a SIM in Dot.Com Sri Racha for 150 including 50 baht calls.

3. - AIS offer the Sim to Go package. This is aimed at visitors to Thailand. This card costs B1000, but includes 800 baht of calls. All incoming calls are of course free, and outgoing are 9baht in Thailand and 14 baht to UK. These rates may be lower now. It also has international roaming on it so you can use it if needed at home or around Asia. There are also some little extras like a tourism advice service (*0007). Having said this it is in fact just a glorified One 2 Call card and you can top up with those cards.

5. – If you lose your Sim or it is stolen, you can keep your number by going to an AIS office (i.e. Bkk or in Pattaya nearist is Sri Racha or Rayong) bringing ID, and a police report of the loss.

6. For 500 baht you can get a “Jumbo” Sim card that has 3 Name and number memories of 250 and a 100 SMS memory. Standard memory is about 250 names and numbers.

7. – When you buy a Sim you should be able to get all your existing Sim/phone info copied to your new Sim.

8. – back up all your stuff on a computer and you’ll have it save in the event of theft, loss or accident.

9. – Once you start topping up your card you will see that you have about a year to use it in. I usually top mine up just before I leave to get the maximum period available – mine is currently valid ‘til March 2007.

10. – When calling abroad you can save money by dialling 007, 008*, 009* instead of 001 the usual Thai international number   

11. – If you want any more info, you can call the AIS call centre on 1175 and then press 2 for English language.

2. -  look out for special deals; a card normally costs about 300 baht and the price includes about 50 baht of calls, but I bought a SIM in Dot.Com Sri Racha for 150 including 50 baht calls.

AIS (a.k.a. "1-2-Call") prepaid SIM cards cost 299 Baht at the MBK. Calling in Thailand is 5 Baht a minute and you can call abroad for 7 Baht if you dial 008 or 009 instead of the international access code ie for UK 009 44 XXXXXXXX(area code and number). I understand DTAC is cheaper but its coverage isn't as good. The charge-up credit validates the SIM card for 10 Baht a day. ie for 500 Baht you buy 50 days. Once that runs out I don't know how long the card is good for, though. I've got a Thai friend keeping mine alive.

I thought the prices for AIS nowadays were 4B for the first minute, 3B for the second and 2B after that ? :o

What's the difference between calling 007, 008 and 009?

The services are offered by different companies; 008 is ToT, I believe but you can use any one you want, the calls are just added to your bill. I think the 007 one is a little more expensive but worth knowing if the others are totally engaged, which often happens.

I thought the prices for AIS nowadays were 4B for the first minute, 3B for the second and 2B after that ? :o

It's d ifficult yto keep tag of the prices nowadays; there is a bit of a price war going on at the moment. Anyway who cares if it's 4 or 3 baht? The important thing is to know how to make cheaper calls at any one time.

Has anyone heard of the 5 baht an hour international call?

Edited by wilko

Has anyone heard of the 5 baht an hour international call?

Wilko, where'd u hear about this??? I'd be very interested in 5baht/hr int'l calls!!!

At this moment, it's costing me over $7000baht/mth just on phone calls! :D

Hello Wilco again,

Why do i keep getting these repeats? Where am I going wrong? Im no genius when it comes to PCs, but i find it hard to get around this site. Its a good site but difficult( I think anyway)

When you say you receive free calls when in Thailand ,Does that make it more expensive for the Brit making the call.

I,m sorry to burdon you with all these questions, How have you extended your runout date to 2007?

I think that,s it .

Thanks a bundle,

Ron J

Firstly there seems to be something wrong with the way replies are working on this thread – a job for the webmaster?

I’ve extended my validity time because I keep topping up my phone – I’ve had the number for quite some time but if you use yours a lot you’ll soon find it’s valid for a couple of years or so.

As for charging on international roaming calls, both the ringer and ringee get a charge for the service. With your Thai Sim card only you get charged for the out going calls you make.

As for the 5 baht per hour, I was talking to a chap in Dot.com Sri Racha. I’ll ask him again to see what he was on about. It may be rubbish…

For those of you who are making a lot of overseas calls, you might want to try Skype … This is a free voice call service offered to users of PCs etc.

All you need is a headset, although it will work with a free standing mic and speakers. The sound quality is better than a phone. The only draw-back is that on an ordinary dial-up connection there is sometimes a delay.

They offer various features such as a messenger type service and conference calls.

Furthermore, if you set up a pre-pay account with them you can use their local number dial up service – this allows you to dial any number at a local rate in almost any country in the world. A friend of mine in Spain uses it for his business and reckons he’s saved thousands of Euros.

You can download Skype free from their website - http://www.skype.com/

No, I don’t work for them; I’m a genuinely satisfied customer!

Firstly there seems to be something wrong with the way replies are working on this thread – a job for the webmaster?

I’ve extended my validity time because I keep topping up my phone – I’ve had the number for quite some time but if you use yours a lot you’ll soon find it’s valid for a couple of years or so.

As for charging on international roaming calls, both the ringer and ringee get a charge for the service. With your Thai Sim card only you get charged for the out going calls you make.

As for the 5 baht per hour, I was talking to a chap in Dot.com Sri Racha. I’ll ask him again to see what he was on about. It may be rubbish…

For those of you who are making a lot of overseas calls, you might want to try Skype … This is a free voice call service offered to users of PCs etc.

All you need is a headset, although it will work with a free standing mic and speakers. The sound quality is better than a phone. The only draw-back is that on an ordinary dial-up connection there is sometimes a delay.

They offer various features such as a messenger type service and conference calls.

Furthermore, if you set up a pre-pay account with them you can use their local number dial up service – this allows you to dial any number at a local rate in almost any country in the world. A friend of mine in Spain uses it for his business and reckons he’s saved thousands of Euros.

You can download Skype free from their website - http://www.skype.com/

No, I don’t work for them; I’m a genuinely satisfied customer!

Lemme see if I understand u correctly,

So that means while in thailand and I use my house phone to dial up skype's local number, I'll get charge my local TT&T rate of 3baht/min?

and then on top of this, I'll get charged skype's int'l calling rate?

So that means while in thailand and I use my house phone to dial up skype's local number, I'll get charge my local TT&T rate of 3baht/min?

Skype is an internet phone service - you pay for your own internet connection; mine is usually CSLoxinfo or Asianet; so 3 bht for the local connection and my hourly internet fee. Skype to Skype calls cost nothing more.

Skype to any phone uses rates at the other end of the line i.e. the country you are ringing. This is a pre-pay/top-up service and if you log onto their web site they will show you the rates charged for each country. Naturally it doesn't matter where you are connected to the internet.

Skype is an internet phone service - you pay for your own internet connection; mine is usually CSLoxinfo or Asianet; so 3 bht for the local connection and my hourly internet fee. Skype to Skype calls cost nothing more.

Skype to any phone uses rates at the other end of the line i.e. the country you are ringing. This is a pre-pay/top-up service and if you log onto their web site they will show you the rates charged for each country. Naturally it doesn't matter where you are connected to the internet.

Wilko,

Got it...thx for the help! Save me a ton of $!