Best Burgers In Pattaya

aussiechick

I just got back from Just Burgers. I got a burger with swiss cheese and fries to go. As soon as I got close, the smell of grilling burgers drew me in--reminded me of clown alley back in San Francisco (now sadly gone).

I ate the fries on the way home in the car--they were very nice. Crinkle cut and fairly thick. The burger was very tasty, but would have been better if I had eaten it right away when it was hot. My bad. The damage was 95 baht for the burger and 59 baht for the fries (a *lot* of fries). That comes to 164 baht for the numerically challenged. Good value for the money in my book considering how stuffed I feel. A big mac is not much cheaper than that.

Would you like to have another go at the numerics ?? Perhaps you were including a 10 baht tip !!

• Replies 302
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just got back from Just Burgers. I got a burger with swiss cheese and fries to go. As soon as I got close, the smell of grilling burgers drew me in--reminded me of clown alley back in San Francisco (now sadly gone).

I ate the fries on the way home in the car--they were very nice. Crinkle cut and fairly thick. The burger was very tasty, but would have been better if I had eaten it right away when it was hot. My bad. The damage was 95 baht for the burger and 59 baht for the fries (a *lot* of fries). That comes to 164 baht for the numerically challenged. Good value for the money in my book considering how stuffed I feel. A big mac is not much cheaper than that.

Would you like to have another go at the numerics ?? Perhaps you were including a 10 baht tip !!

:)

Clown Alley...now that's going back a ways...great burgers and shakes...sometimes I really miss back home :D

Amazing Thailand!

All the Thai-o-philes flocking to the land of smiles looking for that culinary abomination called a hamburger.

Pa-fookin'-thetic

Maybe you never had a world class burger. Hardly a culinary abomination, though most of what you get here could be called that.

Agreed JT but if I wanted a world class burger I sure as hel_l wouldn't go to Thailand for it.

btw I've had some real good burgers when I lived in the States and that's the place I'd go again if I realy wanted one. If not, and if it burns you up, then make your own. The big problem is not the hamburger but, if you want it, the cheese. Asia is not generally the place to find quality cheese but then neither IMO is the States which is why I, point blank, avoid the cheeseburger.

PS I don't class that piece of unappetising yellow plastic they put in cheeseburgers as cheese but then I'm fussy like that. :)

Being a Brit I do have an aversion to certain American foods mainly based on the British violation of culinary rights but I have had the pleasure of savouring the real thing including that most despoiled of snacks namely the hot dog.

Of course nobody travels to Thailand for the hamburgers. However, for those living here and also travelers looking for comfortable food, sometimes we want a burger, and if so, we hope to find a decent one. That is all. The cheese is not necessary for a good burger. In my experience in Thailand it is the meat that is the main problem. BTW, Just Burgers is offering good cheese, but the fact that he uses fillers in his burgers (based on reports here) is not such good news.

Edited by Jingthing

Of course nobody travels to Thailand for the hamburgers. However, for those living here and also travelers looking for comfortable food, sometimes we want a burger, and if so, we hope to find a decent one. That is all. The cheese is not necessary for a good burger. In my experience in Thailand it is the meat that is the main problem. BTW, Just Burgers is offering good cheese, but the fact that he uses fillers in his burgers (based on reports here) is not such good news.

What fillers...?

I'll give it a try next time I get down there, but from the description, I don't have a lot of hope. A REAL hamburger is 100 percent beef with no fillers, spices or other secret ingredients.

I think you will find thats actually called a steak. A good burger contains spices and seasonings which may well be "secret" in nature.

I'll give it a try next time I get down there, but from the description, I don't have a lot of hope. A REAL hamburger is 100 percent beef with no fillers, spices or other secret ingredients.

I think you will find thats actually called a steak. A good burger contains spices and seasonings which may well be "secret" in nature.

No........or not necessarily true.........especially in Texas where we just take ground round, form it into a burger shape, and grill it.

Sometimes we do add some salt and pepper.............sometimes we do add some BBQ sauce...........but never any fillers.

We also have something similar called "ground steak." It is simply a larger version.

The key to any good burger is good meat.............Thai beef is totally disgusting (smells like some chemical to me).

Imported beef is critical..........but that raises the price.

If you try to cut the cost by adding fillers, you mess up the burger and it becomes more like we call "meat loaf."

No........or not necessarily true.........especially in Texas where we just take ground round, form it into a burger shape, and grill it.

Sometimes we do add some salt and pepper.............sometimes we do add some BBQ sauce...........but never any fillers.

We also have something similar called "ground steak." It is simply a larger version.

The key to any good burger is good meat.............Thai beef is totally disgusting (smells like some chemical to me).

If you try to cut the cost by adding fillers, you mess up the burger and it becomes more like we call "meat loaf."

GREAT BURGER TALK!

American here, grew up (and continuing to grow) on burgers (and other stuff!). Seems like a somewhat pointless argument discussion on what makes a "real burger;" (although the word, fillers, really shouldn't apply if you ask me) I figure each person can decide for themselves. For me, I figure they're all real but of course, we all like them, well... the way we like them. (So you can fill in the blank here, as to what's a real burger to you, what makes up your favorite burger... and why!) I just like burgers. And, I like Just Burgers; they're better than just about all the Pattaya burgers I've tried. Definitely bigger. (Maybe they are the best burger in Pattaya; it's up to the individual!) But, in the ever-ongoing search for culinary satisfation that we all go through living here in Pattaya, my burger research continues:

Yesterday at Friendship, I bought a frozen pack of 4 burger patties (55 baht!); small blue cheese; sharp cheddar cheese; sesame rolls; fresh pita bread (total: under 300 baht). Sauteed 2 patties in the frying pan, seasoned only with salt & pepper, in a tablespoon of olive oil. One got blue cheese, one got cheddar- melted on top.

Blue cheese burger on pita with mayo, letuce, tomato: dee-spankin'-licious! Cheddar burger on sesame roll, with ketchup & raw onion: oot-standing! After eating, it is my feeling that Friendship uses the higher-priced, fattier, ground round in these burger packs, and 55 baht for 4 is ok by me.

The search continues....

-Michael

PS- Meatloaf!! Ok, love meatloaf, too. But that's definitely... another story (thread)!!

Edited by Michaelaway

Please also note that Gary A has never been to Just Burgers - so where the idea came from that there was fillers in the burger is beyond me! Anyway I like them and they are filling!!

Yes sorry for my confusion about this.

Another poster said:

Burgers are prepared using two grades of local ground beef, specially seasoned (with the suitcase spices, etc) and then prepped into patties, which are chilled & later cooked to order.

Seasoning could be good. I agree, that's not the same thing as fillers. I disagree with the poster who thinks fillers are ever proper for a real American burger. Any food critic will tell you the ideal burger patty is 100 percent good ground beef (there is also an ideal fat content level), and of course, that's the problem in Thailand, the beef.

Edited by Jingthing

Fillers no, spices yes.

A little pork? Maybe.

TTTT, Uly- Pork; that's only for meatloaf. Real (American) hamburgers= 100% beef! Agree: Spices- yes, fillers- nope!

PORK IN AN AMERICAN HAMBURGER! Where is the barf bin......... :)

Surely you are kidding or are talking about how to make a semi-eatable burger using Thai beef......for that you might want to add a bit of pork to increase the fat content.

But.........pleeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaasssssssssssssss!

The key to a good burger s simple: 100% pure ground sirloin beef or ground round beef (American, Australian or NZ beef). Form into a LARGE patty and cook over a grill with the flames hitting it from time to time.

I have never even remotely scene anything similar to what I am describing in Thailand.

If this guy is making the real thing........wonderful.

The key to a good burger s simple: 100% pure ground sirloin beef or ground round beef (American, Australian or NZ beef). Form into a LARGE patty and cook over a grill with the flames hitting it from time to time.

I have never even remotely scene anything similar to what I am describing in Thailand.

I didn't know that was you, George W, hiding behind the JR nickname :)

PORK IN AN AMERICAN HAMBURGER! Where is the barf bin......... :)

Surely you are kidding or are talking about how to make a semi-eatable burger using Thai beef......for that you might want to add a bit of pork to increase the fat content.

Yes, that is exactly what I mean. Of course you would never use pork in a country with decent beef. :D

I didn't know that was you, George W, hiding behind the JR nickname :D

JR....from the show Dallas? Dallas is in Texas. Hence: JR Texas. JR was such a nice guy, I thought I would steal his name. :)

My guess is that you are European and are not fond of watching old American TV soap operas.........smart move.

That aside, no doubt George W. knows how to make a great Texas burger. No additives like possum or armadillo bits.

I never really thought GW was Texan though.........always thought he was more like an escape from a freak show up north.

Now.........LBJ..........remember him? He was pure Texan.

Shit fire........where are my boots and shotgun........the neighbors are singing that Thai crap again...........sound like a bunch of cats being strangled.

HAPPY LOY KRATONG

Being a Brit I do have an aversion to certain American foods

We are not crazy about some of yours either, but we seem to be able to ignore, rather than moan about them. :)

I ain't moaning UG, I eat the food I like and pass on the rest. I had a great time in the USA and the burgers there, in the right places, would knock the sh1t out of what is called steak in many places in the UK.

For me the problem starts when they move away from 100% beef in the burgers. The big problem in the UK, and it's spreading, is that under regulations they can call it a beefburger as long as it contains 'x'% meat and if that 'x'% is beef it can be claimed as 100% beef. So you can fill the patty with all the sh1t you like as long as the 'x'% is beef you are okay.

One more reason to go with home cookin'.

Well said. I scream inside each time I see a hamburger griller take his/her spatula and press the juices out and compress the burger. Very counter productive.

Ground beef with spices and fillers is meat loaf and a meat loaf sandwich is NOT what I am after.

Bully's in Bangoko has the best burger in Thailand I have tasted to date. Justin' are good, but could use a tad higher quality meat, a cheddar, and some charcoal in the grill. That said it is tied for top 2 with HJ bean's for Pattaya and at quite a savings. Best burger in Asia that I have tried is at Blue Frog in the Venetian in Macau, second best is Henry Chin's in Hanoi.

The search continues.

kdf

I prefer air con to flies when I eat, but I will return to Just Brgers.

I tried a cheeseburger at this place after reading about it here and thought it was very good , will go back again for sure.

I have had the same ,for B95 ,and specified Swiss cheese .Its one of the best burgers that i have had in Thailand .The bun is nice and crispy and the burger solid and thick . :)

I went again today for a burger and fries. For the first time that I have been there, Justin wasn't there, so I was a bit apprehensive.

However, there were no problems at all. Good tasting food at reasonable prices. My only disappointment was no American made ketchup this time.

I hope people support this place and it stays around for a while.

Edited by Jimmyd

My long awaited review (ha ha)

Bun good

Burger, nice sized, great taste of the grill, no gristle, still tasted like Thai beef but the grill taste compensates

Cheese, good portion of pepper jack, very good

Cost 95 baht

Minor nits -- cheap Thai ketchup was being dispensed out of expensive imported Ketchup containers. I feel that is wrong to misrepresent that way.

Special sauce -- it didn't wow me, I could hardly taste it. I also wonder if it contains mayo. That would be bad to eat mayo sitting out all the time in the tropical sun. I am pretty sure there was also a pure mayo container offered, again sitting out in the tropical sun, that could make you very sick.

Overall -- best burger I have had in Thailand which is made more incredible by the low price. I would pay 95 baht for it in the US but of course I have had much better burgers there (its the beef) but much more money. I see why people compare it to the old "Clown Alley" place in San Francisco, similar style.

Suggestion -- keep the mayo in the fridge and don't misrepresent the ketchup

Edited by Jingthing

My long awaited review (ha ha)

Bun good

Burger, nice sized, great taste of the grill, no gristle, still tasted like Thai beef but the grill taste compensates

Cheese, good portion of pepper jack, very good

Cost 95 baht

Minor nits -- cheap Thai ketchup was being dispensed out of expensive imported Ketchup containers. I feel that is wrong to misrepresent that way.

Special sauce -- it didn't wow me, I could hardly taste it. I also wonder if it contains mayo. That would be bad to eat mayo sitting out all the time in the tropical sun. I am pretty sure there was also a pure mayo container offered, again sitting out in the tropical sun, that could make you very sick.

Overall -- best burger I have had in Thailand which is made more incredible by the low price. I would pay 95 baht for it in the US but of course I have had much better burgers there (its the beef) but much more money. I see why people compare it to the old "Clown Alley" place in San Francisco, similar style.

Suggestion -- keep the mayo in the fridge and don't misrepresent the ketchup

Jt likes it! :)