Hairdressers Again

wilsongbrown

I never patronise the hairdressers on Saiyuan, or Nai Harn for that matter, being well aware of the fact that the majority are run by clueless ex bargirls, with nary a certificate of having undertaken anything hair related to their names, having been able to weedle the price of a tenancy agreement out of their local, um patrons.

However, I have had someone recommend a young Thai guy working at a salon named 'August', on the sharp bend just before/after Don's. Anyone other recommends?

Like most (all?) Western women here, I'm always on the look out for a decent hairdresser! (Conspicuous by their absence so far).

Does the Thai guy in 'August' actually have any hairdressing qualifications?

I went to the salon in Da Vinci once, in my increasingly desperate attempts to find a decent hairdresser - and, much to my suprise, received a v good cut and colour. Unfortunately the next time I went back she wasn't there and the people who were, so obviously had no idea, I walked out.

I'd love to know what happened to the older, 'chinese' looking woman in the Da Vinci salon who was VERY good.

I think I've tried them all around Nai Harn, but the last few times I have been to the place above black canyon at Tesco's there's a girl there I don't know her name but she have long curly hair and speaks pretty good English, bye the way she learn in Germany, Give her a try

As I always say George at West One opposite Tesco Kathu

He is Thai and worked in the UK for like 20 years. He has a full service salon.. it's nice.

His prices are reasonable. Not the cheapest.. for girls part of Chicky Net (girls only social group in Phuket) they can use their Chicky privilage card and get a discount too.

I refuse to go elsewhere after a bad cut or 2 in the south one after taking some advice on this forum. He is popular with many exapt and Thai's.

Address Opposite Phuket Tesco Lutus and next to Power Print Digital

A.Muang

Phuket

83000 Telephone 076-248311 Fax

As I always say George at West One opposite Tesco Kathu

He is Thai and worked in the UK for like 20 years. He has a full service salon.. it's nice.

His prices are reasonable. Not the cheapest.. for girls part of Chicky Net (girls only social group in Phuket) they can use their Chicky privilage card and get a discount too.

I refuse to go elsewhere after a bad cut or 2 in the south one after taking some advice on this forum. He is popular with many exapt and Thai's.

Address Opposite Phuket Tesco Lutus and next to Power Print Digital

A.Muang

Phuket

83000 Telephone 076-248311 Fax

Sorry, but have to disagree. I went to George a couple of times when I first came here. I found him VERY expensive and not v good.

Sorry, but have to disagree. I went to George a couple of times when I first came here. I found him VERY expensive and not v good.

I am open on the ratings bit (who is best etc) but it is my opinion that a good haircut is what pleases the person with the hair "being cut"

One man's (or persons) opinion may not be the same as the next.

Something like beauty is in the eye of the beholder. The girl who might turn one persons head might not get a second glance from another.

I don't think that there is a mens barber in the realm who is halfway decent, they always want to do it "their way" regardless of what the customer wants. In Singapore for a comparison there are dozens of barbers (many Indian) who will do exactly what you ask for.

Remember it is not up to the barber to style your hair the way he / she wants to do it.

The money is coming out of your pocket therefore you are the one to decide.

not exactly clueless..

E.G.

first visit to hairdressers Bangkok many years ago.

haircut please?

ok.

You like wash?

OK

you like manicure also?

OK

You like pedicure also?

OK

Take off shoes please

OK.

(Basin of water produced)

Put foot in water.

OK.

Scuse please, take foot out.

OK.

(Lady lifts basin of water and dumps it in my lap)

Velly solly. You take trouser off and come in back to dry

Now have inhouse hairdressing facility...

I never patronise the hairdressers on Saiyuan, or Nai Harn for that matter, being well aware of the fact that the majority are run by clueless ex bargirls, with nary a certificate of having undertaken anything hair related to their names, having been able to weedle the price of a tenancy agreement out of their local, um patrons.

However, I have had someone recommend a young Thai guy working at a salon named 'August', on the sharp bend just before/after Don's. Anyone other recommends?

Having been around the block several thousand times here on Phuket Island apropos the 'hairdressers', or those who pass for them here I've found the oft touted 'George' to be a very good cutter.

But. He's ridiculously expensive and seems to believe (in fact he told me so) he can charge the same rates here as charged in Europe, completely ignoring the fact that European rents/staff salaries/taxes etc aren't the same here in Thailand, even Phuket. And yes, he most definitely does what he wants with your hair with nary a thought as to the fact that the customer will leave the salon a few thousand baht lighter, with a horrible hair STYLE. See? not the same as CUT.

The best I'd found was a young guy in Tescos on the bypass road - not to be confused with the nitwit on the Vichit road. But, albeit a fantastic cutter, way on a par with George, succumbed to the 'Ill do it MY bloody way syndrome' and you'd take your head of hair in your hands every trip. So gave up with him also.

My experience with the girls here doesn't bear repeating. Apart from a nice lady in Phuket Town recommended by a poster, but, still left the salon with a style from the last decade, or so.

The barbers, being male, and therefore having dealt with a male clientele, are better cutters overall, men not expected/unwilling to take so much crap as women anywhere in the world, tend to be a better bet.

'August's' young guy seems to be unisex; given the sign outside included the word 'barber' in it's advertising. And I have seen him cutting women's hair too.

So. Anyone?

I have been holidaying in Chalong now coming up 6 years.

First place I visit after settling into LoS each trip, is EH's beauty salon.

post-46648-1255942490_thumb.jpg

She is a lovely girl, excellent with men's or womens styling.

Her salon is about halfway down the pier road on the left hand side.

My partner and I will be partaking of her services on 31st Oct, when we arrive.

First place I visit after settling into LoS each trip, is EH's beauty salon.

post-46648-1255942490_thumb.jpg

I'm with you - I've working nearby on the road to C Pier and I'd recommend Eh; and she certainly is a 'character', but since when did hairdressing have to be so serious?

Hey, I'm a bloke, so what do i know??

However, my wife likes hers done by a girl called Nukai, at NongPloy, about 50 yards up from Rawai Hardware.

The place you mention is the best place I have found for a haircut, I have never tried a massage there yet though.