Outstanding Apple Pie At "brix" In Montri Hotel ...

Oneman

After searching, I couldn't find any mention here of Brix restaurant in the Montri Hotel at Thapae Gate.

They remodeled some months ago, and the new restaurant is nothing like the old coffee shop in that location.

I ate there recently, for the first time since the remodel.

Just one lunch, but enough to know that I'll be going back.

My club sandwich as very nice -- the chicken and bacon were still warm.

I was pleased with the quality of ingredients: real chicken, not some chicken "loaf" product.

But what really impressed me was the apple pie.

Home made crust.

Lots of sweet-tart apples.

Crumble topping.

And just the right amount of sugar.

Thai cooks tend to skimp on sugar, so pastries here often don't taste quite sweet enough for Westerners.

But this apple pie was just right.

This would be a fine apple pie anywhere, but, here, in the middle of the Asian jungle, it is a "find".

I should have asked for it warm.

And with vanilla ice cream.

Next time.

My only complaint: the serving is too small.

I could have done with 50% more on the plate.

Otherwise, service was efficient; waiters and waitresses very much "on the ball".

Efficient air-con, too.

Bathroom sparkling clean.

Not cheap.

And that's another point in it's favor -- you don't see Cheap Charlie types hanging around.

Brix in the Montri Hotel is worth a try.

-- Oneman

Chiangmai

PS - They also had lemon meringue pie which looked very tempting.

It was a difficult decision.

Not cheap.

And that's another point in it's favor -- you don't see Cheap Charlie types hanging around.

So what is cheap/not cheap for a piece of apple pie in the Jungle? 300 baht a slice? 100 baht a slice? Always curious when folks say something is cheap/not cheap.

Thanks,

TheWalkingMan

Well I was saving my 1,000th post for something deep and meaningful, but I guess I'll use it for a food thread instead.

Thanks for the tip. It sounds more like apple crumble rather than apple pie, at least in Australian terms. There was a comprehensive CNX apple crumble thread here a couple of months ago. How much did it cost by the way?

I have a couple of tips also, these being for the budget-constrained members but who still enjoy a bit of quality. First tip is a lady who is always at Woolai walking street, about half way along on the moat side. She has triangles of apple crumble in plastic packs for 15 baht. Not too bad esp. when you have with some ice cream from the stall opposite.

Second tip is a new venture. This is a clothing shop in Thapae Rd (opp a temple and a 7/11) that has put a small glass display case on the footpath outside their shop (with a sign "home made"). Try the little jam tarts (5 baht), the sausage rolls (18baht), and especially the small apple pies (22 baht). Very good indeed!

After searching, I couldn't find any mention here of Brix restaurant in the Montri Hotel at Thapae Gate.

They remodeled some months ago, and the new restaurant is nothing like the old coffee shop in that location.

I ate there recently, for the first time since the remodel.

Just one lunch, but enough to know that I'll be going back.

My club sandwich as very nice -- the chicken and bacon were still warm.

I was pleased with the quality of ingredients: real chicken, not some chicken "loaf" product.

But what really impressed me was the apple pie.

Home made crust.

Lots of sweet-tart apples.

Crumble topping.

And just the right amount of sugar.

Thai cooks tend to skimp on sugar, so pastries here often don't taste quite sweet enough for Westerners.

But this apple pie was just right.

This would be a fine apple pie anywhere, but, here, in the middle of the Asian jungle, it is a "find".

I should have asked for it warm.

And with vanilla ice cream.

Next time.

My only complaint: the serving is too small.

I could have done with 50% more on the plate.

Otherwise, service was efficient; waiters and waitresses very much "on the ball".

Efficient air-con, too.

Bathroom sparkling clean.

Not cheap.

Brix in the Montri Hotel is worth a try.

-- Oneman

Chiangmai

PS - They also had lemon meringue pie which looked very tempting.

It was a difficult decision.

Have to agree, went their about two months ago with missus, daughter and hubby pleasantly surprised with the quality of the food and the atmosphere clean and tasteful (In my opinion) and the bathrooms well it is just worth visiting the place to take a pee, must have the best bathroom/Hawn Naam in town.

Apple pie yummie i will shortly be samplin this recomendation next time i am in town, thanks for the heads up.

Regards

TB