I'm from u.s.  she is thai.  can she divorce from

wants2no

If she left me in the U.S. seven months ago, can she divorce me from Thailand?  Would I have to appear?  Is the court corrupt enough that her very, very wealthy, politically connected father could influence it?  I ask, because she wants me to arrange for a divorce from the U.S. and I believe we need more time in order for me to relocate to Thailand and her to regain focus.  I'm stalling, because I hate to throw away 6 years in this what was a monogamous relationship with me--she has been seeing others intimately for 5 months.  On the other hand, if she demands a divorce, what would be the chances of getting a settlement for me to keep this matter from publicity and for her stealing 6 years of my life?  Please advise.

I'm stalling, because I hate to throw away 6 years in this what was a monogamous relationship with me--she has been seeing others intimately for 5 months.

I've been in a similar situation (except I'm a Brit.). You seem to be trying to hold on to your marriage but it does appear to be over - the sooner you can accept it and get on with your life the better!

You should get a lawyer but in British law you need to be apart for 12 months before you can get a divorce on the grounds of separation. If you have firm evidence of her infidelity then that would be grounds for you to divorce her on the basis of unreasonable behaviour. I guess it would be similar in US but I do not know for sure. There is no need for a respondent to attend a divorce hearing. Subsequently, division of the matrimonial assets between you may be a problem - as I say, get a lawyer.

I believe that she could divorce you from Thailand but I reckon that it would be in your best interest to divorce her from US.

Above all act in a dignified manner and maintain your integrity.

If her family is wealthy then she can divorce you in Thailand without problems. However if you were married in the US a Thai divorce would maybe not be allowed there...useful to know for property purposes. However this raises the question regarding your status in the US when you want to get married again. Given the circumstances a divorce court in the US may give you an easy ride...6 years together notwithstanding...especially if there is a significant difference in your ages.

All the best and I hope things work out well for you

P..I do not know why she could not divorce you in Thailand, A Thai marriage is legal in the USA as long as it is legal here and registered in the AMPHER of residence.

So why would a Thai divorce be any different?

I am married to a Thai and it is recognised as legal marriage in the states.

But here for a divorce,all you need to do is go to the ampher with your spouse and tell them you want a divorce,you both agree and then it done right then,when you walk out you are divorced. The same with the marriage,you go,you agree, and you walk out married.

But if you don't agree then it will take lawyers and if her family has a few bucks,then she gets a lawyer and I don't think there is much you can do about it,You can afford it? then hire a lawyer to represent you and you will have to appear in court and will cost a lot of money,for what,if she wants to leave,let her.

Shit women are just like streetcars,wait on the corner for 5 minutes and another comes along. :o

Hi P,

Wow a farang marries a Thai and "shes" super wealthy, thats gotta be rare.  I agree with the poster saying get over it and get through the pain.  You have to understand she is Thai and when they turn it off its off for them.  Thai's have an amazing ability at shutting there feelings off when they want to and all the thinking/talking it over in the world IMHO won't change anything.