Remodeling

brennanstimpy

I haven't ever done any sort of construction in Thailand, even on a small scale like remodeling. I am interested in having my bathroom re-done though. So I am seeking advice from all of you who are wiser than myself, where do I begin? Should I have someone come in and give me a quote (or several people) or should I figure out what it is going to cost me first or do it myself or what? Basically all I want done is a new toilet and sink and replace the tile. Any help/horror stories would be appreciated.

In my opinion I would buy the materials myself and then hire someone to do the labour either daily or total job lot.

The thing about bathrooms is that they are either good at it or not. Many don't finish the job well or lay the tiles neatly.

In my opinion it is worth it to pay a bit more to get the job done well. When you buy tiles ask if they have different grades of the same tile.

That happened to me with a floor, I thought the tiles were a bit odd and was told they were grade B. Same colour in Grade A was 10 times better in quality of surface.

I haven't ever done any sort of construction in Thailand, even on a small scale like remodeling. I am interested in having my bathroom re-done though. So I am seeking advice from all of you who are wiser than myself, where do I begin? Should I have someone come in and give me a quote (or several people) or should I figure out what it is going to cost me first or do it myself or what? Basically all I want done is a new toilet and sink and replace the tile. Any help/horror stories would be appreciated.

I have had three houses build in Phuket and several large remodeling projects. The key item is the quality of labor. You have two separate tasks: the tile and the fixtures. I have had good luck with the fixtures by going to HomePro and talking to the Mogen reps there (not HomePro employees, these gents work for Mogen). I picked out the Mogen toilets and sinks (low-cost, lower end items), had them delivered by HomePro, then had the Mogen guys come over and install them. Thai installers do NOT do the wax seal and the floor fitting correctly, so you get persistent sewer smell. The Mogen gents do it factory-approved and no-problem. Paid them 1500 baht per toilet, 500 per sink (simple job). Tile is different. You have to find a good local tile man ... ask around and look at some jobs they have done. Should be perfectly flat and smooth, with nice grout lines. Cost for a good man will be about 200-300 baht per square meter installed.

Make sure to get non-slip tile for the floor; just rub your hand across it and reject the smooth ones i.e. polished marble or any slick glazed tile. Quality is important but you can get good tile, floor and wall, for under 300 baht/sq-meter (or you can pay over 2k for the fancy stuff). HomePro and HomeWorks have good selections; best to buy and take away what is in stock; waiting for shipments can upset your schedule. Measure your surfaces to be tiles, then add about 15-20% for cutting and waste. At end of job save some tiles for replacement; there will be some breakage sometime in the future.

Hey Bren-an- Stimpy.

I have 2 guys that are hard workers who have done several home improvement jobs for me. Since their company has fallen on hard times and gives them less work, I try to fine extra work for them any way I can to help them feed their families. So far they have worked on several million baht+ houses in CM and always left the customers happy. They work cheap n efficiently n understand budget concerns n doing the job right at the same time. They always double check plans with you, and then sketch out what is to be done on paper for approval. They understand spoken English (they have an exacting Farang boss) well, though they're shy speaking English back to you. But I know you speak a little Lanna, so you should get a long just fine. PM me for their numbers.

Did I mention ? They also are highly efficient and clean when they work. Seriously, they understand all the things that usually drive Farang crazy when they hire fix-it guys. You won't find 2 better people.

Awesome advice.  Thanks

I have had three houses build in Phuket and several large remodeling projects. The key item is the quality of labor. You have two separate tasks: the tile and the fixtures. I have had good luck with the fixtures by going to HomePro and talking to the Mogen reps there (not HomePro employees, these gents work for Mogen). I picked out the Mogen toilets and sinks (low-cost, lower end items), had them delivered by HomePro, then had the Mogen guys come over and install them. Thai installers do NOT do the wax seal and the floor fitting correctly, so you get persistent sewer smell. The Mogen gents do it factory-approved and no-problem. Paid them 1500 baht per toilet, 500 per sink (simple job). Tile is different. You have to find a good local tile man ... ask around and look at some jobs they have done. Should be perfectly flat and smooth, with nice grout lines. Cost for a good man will be about 200-300 baht per square meter installed.

Make sure to get non-slip tile for the floor; just rub your hand across it and reject the smooth ones i.e. polished marble or any slick glazed tile. Quality is important but you can get good tile, floor and wall, for under 300 baht/sq-meter (or you can pay over 2k for the fancy stuff). HomePro and HomeWorks have good selections; best to buy and take away what is in stock; waiting for shipments can upset your schedule. Measure your surfaces to be tiles, then add about 15-20% for cutting and waste. At end of job save some tiles for replacement; there will be some breakage sometime in the future.

Hey Bren-an- Stimpy.

I have 2 guys that are hard workers who have done several home improvement jobs for me. Since their company has fallen on hard times and gives them less work, I try to fine extra work for them any way I can to help them feed their families. So far they have worked on several million baht+ houses in CM and always left the customers happy. They work cheap n efficiently n understand budget concerns n doing the job right at the same time. They always double check plans with you, and then sketch out what is to be done on paper for approval. They understand spoken English (they have an exacting Farang boss) well, though they're shy speaking English back to you. But I know you speak a little Lanna, so you should get a long just fine. PM me for their numbers.

Did I mention ? They also are highly efficient and clean when they work. Seriously, they understand all the things that usually drive Farang crazy when they hire fix-it guys. You won't find 2 better people.

Exactly the information I need. Can you please give me their contact? Thank you. :)

This is a silly thread.

How do we know what you want to do?

It`s all down to common sense and what you think is the best option for you.